Major League Reviews

• Jan 04, 2020

Filled with hilarious moments and great sports scenes, this is a classic. There aren't many better baseball movies out there in terms of drama and comedy.

• Jan 03, 2020

One of the best sports movies of all time is also an inspirational human story. Did I mention it also has a great cast!

• Dec 29, 2019

When the new Cleveland Indians owner puts together a group of losers so the team will lose on purpose, the team bands together to try and exceed expectations. Acting: 8 I've seen these actors in a number of different movies and I'm pretty sure all of them would agree that they've had better performances. Don't get me wrong, it's not horrid but no one is winning an Oscar here. My particular favorite was Bob Uecker playing the role of baseball analyst Harry Doyle. He makes every single game even more hilarious than what it already is with his random quips and jabs. Beginning: 5 Characters: 10 Cinematography/Visuals: 7 Conflict: 8 Entertainment Value: 9 Despite the god-awful love story they try and incite, the movie shines the most when the players are actually on the field. The games are beyond entertaining as they add the most pop to the comedy. The team is definitely one you can get behind so it's fun to watch them rise up the ranks and defy the evil owner. Memorability: 6 Pace: 4 Plot: 8 The concept is fun and unique. I just wish they would have done away with the ridiculous love story. It really puts a damper on what the movie is trying to accomplish which is show a group of losers finally get their chance to be on top. The movie suffers slightly from trying to do too much when less should be more. Resolution: 7 Great ending…dampered by the love story. Seriously, get rid of that and the movie would be phenomenal, a solid classic. Besides that, I enjoyed everything there was to love about the movie's resolution. Overall: 72 Major League is good, although I wanted to love it a lot more. It shines in certain moments while falling short in others. It's quality is enough to give it at least one solid go-around.

• Nov 23, 2019

I love how they're playing Randy Newman's sarcastic song about Cleveland while showing just how industrial and polluted the city is but also showing the wholesomeness of the city and it's people. Good ole 80's optimism, got to love it. This was a fun little 80's sports comedy movie that baseball fans could definitely enjoy.

• Nov 14, 2019

My all-time favorite movie!

My all-time favorite movie!

• Nov 06, 2019

This review may contain spoilers. Next up in my retrospective reviews is another movie near and dear to my heart. It is one of my favorite sports movies of all time, and one of the inspirations for my nickname within my family, "Major League." Directed by David S. Ward Major League is as much about the Jokes as it is about the Sports and I think that is what makes it work so well. Of course it has all the Major sports movie cliches; however they are surrounded by some incredible humor. This is the story of the sad sack Cleveland Indians, and how their new owner Rachel Phelps is trying to create a team so bad, that she can move the team to Miami. Hijinks ensue and the team rallies to try and become the first winning Indians team in a long time. I always find it tough reviewing comedies because besides the fact that the movie is hilarious, there is just not much to say. So I guess i just gotta give this the ole Apple Juice Rundown with this incredible cast. - Charlie Sheen is so odd in this movie that if you watch this movie enough, you may actually think he's good in it (character awesome, acting ehhhh). He plays Rick "Wild Thing" Vaughn, a former inmate who cannot hit the strike zone with his heater until magically he gets glasses! Apparently he pitched in college and was actually throwing serious heat on set. *Further research found that he admitted to taking steroids during the filming, to add zip to the fastball (I honestly could not respect this move more). - Wesley Snipes plays Willie Mays Hayes the fast talking and fast running center fielder for the team. He is great in this role and it is a tragedy they could not get him back for the sequel. (Maybe because they made him slide so much, it destroyed his legs) - Tom Berenger plays Jake Taylor, an aging catcher who is looking for one last shot with the team. He sort of plays the father figure role to craziness around him, but he tosses in a one liner or two. He also has the most iconic moment of the movie. - Rene Russo plays Jake's Love interest in the movie and is probably way overqualified for the role. She does not get a ton to do except date a guy that has an apartment with an elevator in it. - My man Corbin Bernsen (shoutout Psych) plays Roger Dorn, a third baseman who has become soft in his older age. He plays this part so well that they basically made the franchise around him moving forward (weird I know). - Dennis God Damn Haysbert (yes the Allstate guy) might be the sneaky MVP of this movie. He is Pedro Cerrano, an Aaron Judge type who cannot seem to hit a curveball. His prayer doll Jobu is the best recurring joke of the whole movie, and has become an incredibly popular item online. - James Gammon plays manager Lou Brown formerly of the Toledo Mud Hens (Shoutout Romo). His voice is so good in this movie, he steals every scene he is in. I cannot tell you how many times my dad and I have gone back and forth with "give him the heater Ricky." - Lastly, since they filmed this movie in Milwaukee, they had to get Bob Uecker to do the play by play for the movie. He is incredible in this and is as much an integral part of the movie as anyone on the team. Simply put this is one of the best sports movies of all time. I could watch it over and over again and never get sick of it. 91/100

• Aug 24, 2019

Top 5 sports movie of all-time.

Top 5 sports movie of all-time.

• Aug 20, 2019

Great sports comedy. Basic plot with some interesting characters who provide good laughs. The film lacks major character development with the main stars, which could have made the film even better. Overall, the film is a definite recommend for sports and comedy movie lovers.

• Jul 30, 2019

Sports movie that checks off all the cliche boxes on the list. Troubled players who fight with each other, check. Cheesy romantic subplot, check. Start from the bottom and finish at the top, check. It is mildly entertaining at times(seeing a young David Palmer play a slightly crazed voodoo player with laughable Spanish skills was definitely interesting). A little bit better than a "meh" movie, but not by much.

• Jul 18, 2019

Its a fun ride from start to finish.

Its a fun ride from start to finish.