The Maldonado Miracle Reviews

• Jun 28, 2016

This is a lovely film that I looked for for years, after seeing it on British TV. It gently takes a swipe at human understanding (or lack of), chiding us also for wanting to be self-important whilst losing sight of what is really important in life, but then reminds us that if we stop looking for somebody to come in and make a grand gesture of change in our lives, we can see the small miracles that already have power in our lives. There are some truly fine performances here, especially in the on screen relationship between Mare Winningham and Ruben Blades. Peter Fonda's work here is every bit as crafted and lean as his earlier work in "The Heart is Deceitful Above All Things." Eddy Martin is a gem of a find as the young Mexican boy at the centre of events. Salma Hayek, as a debuting director, is to be commended.

• Jul 04, 2010

I got a chance to sit down and watch this movie again with my Mom. This is really a hidden gem of a movie that many people have not seen. It was directed by Salma Hayek who did a great job and made the film feel authentic and not corny. The film could have been preachy about immigration issues or they could have dealt with some of the religious issues or views in a very thin way. However, Hayek and the script deal with the subject matter in a very balanced manner and really capture the feeling of the people and the small town. The movie does a great job in fleshing out some of the characters and making them more complex than just having a mean racist sheriff or the town bad boy/greedy opportunist. The actors take their roles and make them great. There is a bit of humor and levity. The movie is not too serious, but it is serious enough. A great movie all around and one I could watch many times. That's why I have it on DVD.

• Nov 09, 2009

MIlagro en una ciudad mexicano donde estan perdiendo la esperanza. Bonita pelicula.

• Aug 02, 2008

what a good movie...truthful...yet i'm not so sure about the ending?

what a good movie...truthful...yet i'm not so sure about the ending?

• Oct 30, 2007

Adorable indy film and what's not to love about a movie named after my family?

Adorable indy film and what's not to love about a movie named after my family?

• Oct 17, 2007

Good, good! I liked the story, it was very well made with great acting.

Good, good! I liked the story, it was very well made with great acting.

• Jul 30, 2007

I love this movie, its pretty much my favorite movie ever!!!

I love this movie, its pretty much my favorite movie ever!!!

• Jul 03, 2007

My uncle was the sheriff!

My uncle was the sheriff!

• Jun 25, 2007

it's a great movie about faith in a small town on the US border (near mexico)

it's a great movie about faith in a small town on the US border (near mexico)

• Jun 25, 2007