Maleficent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Maleficent Reviews

September 10, 2016
Great until the cheesy narration during the last couple minutes.
September 3, 2016
I thought it was ok but was entertaining
September 2, 2016
A fantastic new script that actually makes more sense than the old one. Only the three little fairies and some other creature to improve the rest is exquisite!
!
August 22, 2016
From the start, Maleficent failed to immerse me, maybe it was it's poorly executed idea or badly written story. Once the climax had began I started to get interested, once that was over, the movie was over and so was my interest in it. As long as the film was, that's how forgettable it was.
½ August 19, 2016
How can you not like this? It's not the same as its cartoon counterpart by any means and the meaning of the story felt a bit forced but it's worth watching.
½ August 16, 2016
Beautiful retelling of a well known and loved story. It captures a lot of the darkness of the original fairytale while adding some layers and kindness to the character and narrative.
August 14, 2016
Just watched this film..I LOVED it, Angelina Jolie has masterfully crafted this role. It was done so convincingly, so full of sentiment and life, especially when she screams after her wings have been cut, you can feel her pain. The story is simple and to the point, effects are great its all just so well coordinated. When I first saw Jolie as Maleficent in a picture, I knew it was going to be something special, wasnt sure about the movie but I knew she would create something really amazing with this character, and after watching it today Im just in love with this movie and her performance, it shows us what a gifted actress can bring to the table which is to give life, literally life, to a character.
August 11, 2016
I always found the traditional Sleeping Beauty story just too unfounded. Like Maleficent is just evil for the sake of being evil. This version is really good. I really loved seeing the transformation of and reason for Maleficent's change of character. Once again, as we have seen throughout history, who was responsible for this? Man! Man's greed, man's war mongering and man's hatred of anything different from himself or he doesn't understand. Man also demonstrates his ability to betray those closest to him to feed his selfish desires. Despite the horrid betrayal, I loved the softening of Maleficent's heart as she watched the young Aurora grow.
Far better than the Disney version - good entertainment and worth much more than sad 50% critics at RT!!
August 10, 2016
Colorful, great use of 3D scope. Unique take on classic story, rewritten to give emotional power to 'villain.' Not a fan of Disney and Hollywood's ever-growing misandry angle; Man needs to reclaim Himself. Simple film, moves fast and passively, stays interesting.
August 10, 2016
Taking a classic Disney villain and making her the good guy just doesn't seem to work for me
½ August 7, 2016
It was decent. Had potential to be more but it was just missing something.
August 7, 2016
Disney has produced a nice update to Sleeping Beauty that reflects society's more evolved value towards women. Whereas the original paints women as helpless beauty prizes for "nice" males, the updated tale envisions that a woman's power, self-worth and joy is found without need of tethering herself to any man. The contrast goes further and bravely darker, with a man's horrible treatment of a woman as the creation story of the updated tale's "villain." However, redemption for males is also found in the re-imagined prince who is confused by the notion that a woman needs a man to save her. The message is that, like adventure, love is all around and in many forms. Rather than the need to show the audience a marriage to make a happy ending, we simply see the prince and princess laugh together from across an opening in a forest. Their value and contentment is found individually, and they willfully connect through the sharing of each other's joy.
½ August 5, 2016
Magnificent!! Angelina Jolie is the perfect Maleficent and the story and special efects are just amazing, a new story but with the same essense of the original animated movie.
August 4, 2016
Great entertainment for the whole family...:)
July 31, 2016
Love every woman empowering tale of the film... of a form of true Love that is beyond a man.... A Love that is stronger self reliant and empowering. Thank you Angelina for all your creative works of art that reminds all little girls and women out there to remember and empower and be proud of their strength as a women... not depending on a male gestures as the only form of Love to find strength confidence and happiness in yourself, that all though fragile we are still a strong force to recon with...

Love You.....
July 27, 2016
Love this version of Sleeping Beauty. A Fariy that casted a Spell that affected her in away she could have never imagined. "How Wonderful"
½ July 22, 2016
Did not like this at all. No need for this silly backstory.
July 19, 2016
Good Movie. The costume design was amazing.
½ July 3, 2016
So amazing love this movie but the story not super i'm sorry maleficent :).
½ July 3, 2016
Just magic up some new wings. 'POOF!' problem solved, get over it.