Mallrats - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mallrats Reviews

November 2, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal funny hilarious movie starring the guy from Alvin and the chipmunks, the guy from my name is earl, wait a minute, they're both from the tv show, my name is earl, Kevin Smith as the silent Bob, whoever plays Jay, mother fudging Stan Lee, micheal rooker, and some other random people that were fantastic. I loved this movie, it was hilarious, it could be in my top 10 funniest movies of all time, I can't wait to watch it again and I never knew that this was a part of the silent Bob and Jay franshise, I thought that this movie was its own thang but nope. Kevin Smith is a phenomenal director and writer, I hope he makes more and after watching this movie I found out that this movie is turning into a tv show with the original cast, I can't wait.
June 28, 2017
There's something so singular and relatable about Kevin Smith's movies. Even when they feature ridiculous plots and unrealistic characters, I always find something about them grounded. That likely has to do with the fact that I share many of the same interests as Smith, with the biggest being, comic-books.

Mallrats is about a group of college students who lounge around their local mall because they have nothing better to do. More specifically, Mallrats deals with two guys who have recently been broken up with, and devise a brilliant (or not so brilliant) plan to win them back. The chaos that ensues at the mall falls nothing short of being good ole screwball fun.

That's part of the reason why Kevin Smith succeeds with Mallrats so well, he's not making this for critics, he makes his movies for his friends and the fans. Not that critics wouldn't enjoy such irreverent fun, but the lack of sophistication in the way the characters act in Mallrats isn't something you see in most Hollywood films. Visiting a topless fortune teller, beating up the mall Easter Bunny, elevator sex, or listening to Stan Lee fake monologue about his past are only a few of the things that go on. You either like Smith's style or you don't, I just happen to be one of those people who do.

Mallrats only works if the writing and the characters are as memorable as they are. Watching a comedy 20 years after its release provides ample time for reevaluation if the bits are still funny, and if they are you know that it's a good piece of cinema. Although the stuff inside the mall may be dated, the jokes certainly are not. At least for me, that is. In all, Smith created another beloved gem with Mallrats, albeit with a slightly goofy sense of humor.

8.1/10
June 15, 2017
Honestly, not as bad as it was received. I liked Jason Lee and Jeremy London. The movie has some good comedy and, like almost all Kevin Smith movies, the dialogue is great.
May 31, 2017
i love this movie so much
½ May 19, 2017
Jason Lee makes this movie. Kevin Smith's best work.
March 14, 2017
"That kid is back, on the escalator!" Man, I love this film oh so much. So quotable even after over 2 decades old! Not a lot of comedic gems out there like this one, Smiths writing is always top notch, witty & raunchy. Arguably Jason Lee's best performance, his character is catchy to any guy pretty much. Love it!
February 25, 2017
Funny take on the slacker mentality, growing up and relationships.
½ December 5, 2016
Not as good as Clerk's but still a fun nerdy film.
July 18, 2016
The Stan Lee cameo makes it worth it, but this is a textbook case of what happens when the studio funds you: bigger budget= creative compromise.
½ July 11, 2016
This and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back are definitely my favourite Kevin Smith movies. I don't understand the negativity towards this movie, considering that this was Smith's SECOND View Askewniverse movie, and helped make the world a WORLD at all, you know? Jason Lee and Jeremy London, as defensive and entitled they do seem, are very well-written and RELATABLE characters whose motives and decisions make sense, and you are genuinely rooting for them in the movie while shit happens offside in the mall. That being said, other than one or two jokes that fall down on their faces, there isn't anything I'd call unenjoyable about the film. I liked seeing Michael Rooker pre-Walking Dead fame as Jeremy London's girlfriend's dad. I liked the running gag of Silent Bob crashing into wherever Joey Lauren Adams was changing, that was hilarious. I liked Stan Lee's gratuitous cameo. There are just so many funny and enjoyable moments and there are times where Smith's dialogue feels very Taratinoish. Like you know it's not really going anywhere, but the characters are so lifelike and real that the movie just hooks you in based on that. Plus young Ben Affleck before Good Willing Hunting/Gigli/Dogma is so hilarious to see. A great movie.
½ June 20, 2016
You have to appreciate Kevin Smith movies to enjoy this movie, but if you do it's a great time. *Insert clever Brodie quote here
½ June 17, 2016
Not only poorly directed and with an awful score, but most of the gags are painfully unfunny and most of the characters are painfully annoying in a stupid story that can't find any compelling reason to exist and is only a misfire that plods along with no sense of structure.
April 25, 2016
Mallrats could have done without the poorly written and executed slapstick humor. It adds little to the narrative and it brings the film's overall quality down. As per usual in Kevin Smith's filmography, though, the movie features some great banter and a heartfelt arc that puts a smile on your face.
April 9, 2016
Fun and entertaining...reminds me of the carefree days of ones youths, back when you could get away with silly youth antics. :-)
March 28, 2016
This film was so much better than Chasing Amy. Can't see how Chasing Amy gets such a good score and Mallrats doesn't.
½ March 25, 2016
What the hell took me so long to watch this?
½ March 8, 2016
Not as good as clerks but almost as funny. Mallrats was an insane comedy that stars Earl Hickey himself Jason Lee and man is he funny in this. Top it all off with an amazing Stan Lee cameo and you've got yourself a great movie
March 2, 2016
Great prequel to the hit "Clerks." T. S and Brodie are the two clowns in this film, giving us a mall version of the original. We also get to see Jay and Silent Bob in color(although, in the music video for "Can't Even Tell" by Soul Asylum they appear in color).
½ January 22, 2016
Doesn't fully hold up today, but it's still one of Kevin Smiths more likable hang out movies. Also Jason Lee as Brodie was a great casting choice and the movie wouldn't be the same without him.
½ January 17, 2016
Mallrats is Kevin Smith's most underrated film and was underappreciated upon release. Thankfully these days it's looked upon as a masterpiece, that it is!