Mallrats - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mallrats Reviews

½ December 5, 2016
Not as good as Clerk's but still a fun nerdy film.
July 18, 2016
The Stan Lee cameo makes it worth it, but this is a textbook case of what happens when the studio funds you: bigger budget= creative compromise.
½ July 11, 2016
This and Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back are definitely my favourite Kevin Smith movies. I don't understand the negativity towards this movie, considering that this was Smith's SECOND View Askewniverse movie, and helped make the world a WORLD at all, you know? Jason Lee and Jeremy London, as defensive and entitled they do seem, are very well-written and RELATABLE characters whose motives and decisions make sense, and you are genuinely rooting for them in the movie while shit happens offside in the mall. That being said, other than one or two jokes that fall down on their faces, there isn't anything I'd call unenjoyable about the film. I liked seeing Michael Rooker pre-Walking Dead fame as Jeremy London's girlfriend's dad. I liked the running gag of Silent Bob crashing into wherever Joey Lauren Adams was changing, that was hilarious. I liked Stan Lee's gratuitous cameo. There are just so many funny and enjoyable moments and there are times where Smith's dialogue feels very Taratinoish. Like you know it's not really going anywhere, but the characters are so lifelike and real that the movie just hooks you in based on that. Plus young Ben Affleck before Good Willing Hunting/Gigli/Dogma is so hilarious to see. A great movie.
½ June 20, 2016
You have to appreciate Kevin Smith movies to enjoy this movie, but if you do it's a great time. *Insert clever Brodie quote here
½ June 17, 2016
Not only poorly directed and with an awful score, but most of the gags are painfully unfunny and most of the characters are painfully annoying in a stupid story that can't find any compelling reason to exist and is only a misfire that plods along with no sense of structure.
April 25, 2016
Mallrats could have done without the poorly written and executed slapstick humor. It adds little to the narrative and it brings the film's overall quality down. As per usual in Kevin Smith's filmography, though, the movie features some great banter and a heartfelt arc that puts a smile on your face.
April 9, 2016
Fun and entertaining...reminds me of the carefree days of ones youths, back when you could get away with silly youth antics. :-)
March 28, 2016
This film was so much better than Chasing Amy. Can't see how Chasing Amy gets such a good score and Mallrats doesn't.
½ March 25, 2016
What the hell took me so long to watch this?
½ March 8, 2016
Not as good as clerks but almost as funny. Mallrats was an insane comedy that stars Earl Hickey himself Jason Lee and man is he funny in this. Top it all off with an amazing Stan Lee cameo and you've got yourself a great movie
March 2, 2016
Great prequel to the hit "Clerks." T. S and Brodie are the two clowns in this film, giving us a mall version of the original. We also get to see Jay and Silent Bob in color(although, in the music video for "Can't Even Tell" by Soul Asylum they appear in color).
½ January 22, 2016
Doesn't fully hold up today, but it's still one of Kevin Smiths more likable hang out movies. Also Jason Lee as Brodie was a great casting choice and the movie wouldn't be the same without him.
½ January 17, 2016
Mallrats is Kevin Smith's most underrated film and was underappreciated upon release. Thankfully these days it's looked upon as a masterpiece, that it is!
½ January 3, 2016
entertaining dialogue but overall shitty plot
½ November 21, 2015
-IGNORE THIS "OUT OF FIVE" RATING
1.5/4
Excruciating "comedy" about a group of friends walking and talking inside of a mall...that's it. Inert, never funny, always depressing to watch. Smith himself disowned it, and apologized with CHASING AMY, a vastly superior film. Apology accepted.
½ November 11, 2015
Not smiths best story. Almost redeemed by Jason lee though. Very decent comedic performance.
½ October 10, 2015
Two young college-age friends hit a juncture in their lives. Each of them loses their serious girlfriends and lean on each other to cope and plot on how to win them back. To distract themselves from their troubles, they choose to hang out at the mall. There they encounter and introduce the audience to a slew of unusual friends and enjoyably exaggerated enemies. Overall, it is a pair of simple feel good romance stories enlivened by the strong presence of secondary characters serving as effective comedic relief. It jumps around with numerous tangents, but eventually the inside jokes and separate facets begin to connect and refer to themselves, making for compounding laughs. Having so many people and sub-plots also makes it a good movie to enjoy multiple times. The dialogue is full of unforgiving raunchy humor, slapstick gags, and pop culture references. Adults who take life too seriously or cannot remember what it is like to be young will roll their eyes at this, but there is much more to this than the typical movie pandering to 90s MTV generation. In addition to sharp writing with attention to detail, Jason Lee is the difference maker. His unfiltered sarcasm and insensitive opinions are hysterical. In a movie with so many fragments, he serves as an important semi-narrator that brings everything together in a cohesive way. Lee steals the show with his personality and elevates this movie to an enduring cult classic that I will always love.
September 15, 2015
Definitely the weakest in Smith's Askewniverse, but still fun... and featuring a heartwarming cameo from the Man himself, Stan Lee.
August 4, 2015
Not bad, especially if you're a Kevin Smith fan, but not that great either. I think my favourite joke was the guy who couldn't get the magic eye picture :p
½ August 3, 2015
The worst film of the View Askew series but still enjoyable. Would recommend to people familiar with Kevin Smiths work