Manifesto Reviews

• May 19, 2010

It's pretty messy at times and hampered by the goofy English accents but it's loaded with brilliant moments and strange insights you expect from Makavejev. The Permanent Revolution Motor sequences are great.

• Apr 06, 2010

Another fun little Makavejev flick full of that sly humor of his. Definitely not his best; the plot is sort of sacrificed to this large cast of somewhat thin, yet suitably quirky characters. I love strange accents in films and I don't think that there's a single actor in here that doesn't have one. You know, those accents that don't sound quite natural, rather like someone with one kind of accent trying to imitate a different accent. It makes any dialogue infinitely more interesting in my opinion. So I enjoyed that. And there's plenty of hilarious, political nonsense going on throughout that keeps the film from ever getting boring. I don't know that there's anyone out there who uses text in film as well and to the same effect as Makavejev.

• Dec 26, 2007

Dusan Makavejev is one of my favorite directors, but this film is difficult to love. It's crowded and messy, and it lacks a "hook" like the formal anarchy of WR or the shock value of SWEET MOVIE. Still, it's funny and uninhibited like Dusan's best.