Mark of the Vampire Reviews

• Jun 01, 2019

Fear abounds and bat thorns are needed, but things are not as they seem. Keeps your attention and is entertaining -- holds up after all these years.

• Jun 01, 2019

Oh the old last minute ta-da moment in movies. It has been employed since the beginning and sometimes its even been clever. Let me start out by saying that this movie is dull. I mean it is truly a dull movie. Of course I did not know how dull it would be when I first started it but even at even just an hour in length it felt like 4 or 5. And all for what may you ask? Well the ending of course. So what is this tale all about? Well vampires of course, I mean it’s in the title. But specifically about the murder of one Sir Karelia Borotyn, who is found with two marks on his neck. Of course then talk is all about how this is all the work of a Count Mora, played by Bela Lugosi. Traps are set and people are hunted until it is reveled that not everything is it seemed. All that sounds super interesting right? Well it did to me and then I started to watch it and like I said it was a dull affair. It was a good take on what a vampire is and how one man tried to use it’s lore to get away with murder but thank God it was only an hour long. Which all leads to the idea that sometimes you have to look at movies from a bigger frame. This movie isn’t a classic nor is it all that great of a viewing but the ideas placed forth make it something worth seeking out. After all, are vampires real and can a legend be used to hide our worst acts? So should you see this movie? Honestly yes, i mean its only an hour but I do warn you its dull but the twist at the end is something that makes one wonder what in our world is even real.

• Mar 18, 2018

Well made filming for the time, but the plot was a little cheesy, the motivations contrived and it was oddly short. The plot twist undermined all the build up and made you feel like it was wrapped up quickly.

• Apr 30, 2016

Horror classic vampire movie except there's no "real" vampire. A wealthy man is killed, blood drained with bite marks. The locals deem it the work of vampire of a dead count Bela Lugosi and daughter. Lionel Atwill the police investigate and don't buy it. Lionel Barrymore is the professor expert. The daughter of the man Elizabeth Allan is also attack with bite marks and live under guardian Jean Hersholt. Soon they go to the castle to investigate and find the coffin of the man empty. Turns out Jean is hypnotize by Lionel to re-enact the day where he poison the man's drink and make people believe it is done by vampire. After he did the same thing, Lionel catch him in the act and wake him up. The reason for killing him is because Jean want to marry Elizabeth to get the wealth because she is going to marry her love fiance and the father agree to the marriage. Also at the end Bela and the daughter vampire are just actors hire for the whole investigation.

• Jan 19, 2016

Classic Lugosi flick with a twist.

Classic Lugosi flick with a twist.

• Oct 12, 2015

Absurd plot, dumb twist, and kinda hard to follow because 20 minutes was cut from the movie or whatever. But, there are some gorgeous set pieces and some great shots and stuff. Worth slogging through (it's only 60 min.) for the good stuff. Look out for the dope possum shot!

• Jul 31, 2015

Very short (as a result of studio cuts and interference) vampire story from Tod Browning (Dracula, Freaks) that succeeds on many levels, particularly in creating a spooky Eastern European atmosphere. In fact, in some ways this film seems less static than the classic Lugosi Dracula. However, the vampires do take second billing and Lugosi himself has not much to do. Carol Borland is a bit more spooky as his daughter, also a vampire, and a shot in which she descends with wings is creepily successful. For what it is worth, there is a twist at the end of the film, focused on the first vampire-attributed murder in the film; I may have been distracted at times but this twist confused the hell out of me and I needed to go back and figure out what I had missed. Lionel Barrymore (soon to star in Browning's very weird The Devil-Doll) turns out to have saved the day.

• Nov 05, 2014

Mark of the Vampire is a remake of a silent film that arrived 10 years prior that is considered a lost film during an MGM fire in 1965. Since we have a remake, we can now understand the storyline better but only under a few circumstances. The characters have been changed along with the setting and modifications to the plot. Now explained, it's not so much a vampire flick as it is just a crime drama. This is one of Hollywood's early looks at what vampires are like. Back then, they turned into bats went to sleep in some crypt and coffin at night and barely ever drank blood, spoke English but almost never even spoke in general, were really silent and hypnotized people by stating at them. Mostly male vampires like Dracula himself and beautiful white women. The plot is easier to follow in general but has a little more umph to it. It's only about ten minutes longer.

• Oct 30, 2014

1 of my favourite horror classics

1 of my favourite horror classics

• Oct 28, 2013

Tod Browning directed this eerie vampire film that comes with quite an unexpected twist at the end that will either delight or annoy. I think I was more or on the annoyed end, but it was still a solid bit of classic horror. Bela Lugosi dons the cap once more as a vampire moving into a new home and Lionel Barrymore is the Van Helsing-like character trying to stop him. Browings beautifully shot and wonderfully spooky atmosphere, along with Lugosi in top form, make this film well worth watching despite and ending I did not care for.