Mary Poppins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mary Poppins Reviews

September 3, 2017
I will not marry Poppins. You can't tell me what to do. I don't know Poppins. If I'm introduced to her and they seem nice, maybe after a few years, I will marry Poppins.
½ August 19, 2017
Vastly ovverrated movie.. Dark vibe underlyin it, didn't like it at all as a child and neither I do now.
½ August 9, 2017
Fun and iconic musical numbers, a near-legendary performance, animation mixture and strong messages make Mary Poppins a classic.
July 27, 2017
The top of the top. "Mary Poppins" offers delightful performances, picturesque cinematography and a lovely storyline.
½ July 21, 2017
I may be in the minority here, but after having tried to endure the full 2 hours and 20 minutes of this as an adult, I fully understood why I never liked it much as a child.

It is not focussed on children but mostly on the grown-ups around them. Mary Poppins appears out of nowhere and leaves just as fast, dumping the children who got attached to her. Some of the songs seem completely unrelated to the story (the woman feeding the birds, etc...) and are quite sad, Mrs. Banks has almost no part of the story, Mr. Banks has way too much, but he seems a deranged character. There are too many song and dance numbers, some very loud, most overlong. Some scenes are irrelevant to the plot development (if there is any) and there is a lot of banking and old men, none in the least entertaining.

The only part I liked was the one with the animation, which I just discovered, was the one the author (PL Travers) hated most. Actually, she hated the whole movie, but for reasons different from mine. Some may object that this movie got Oscars, to which I can just add that Oscars do seem to be distributed randomly, or for politically correct reasons, now and in the past.
July 16, 2017
Walt Disney's proudest production is an ageless bedazzlement for children that is chockablock with the most ingratiating imaginations from P. L. Travers, melodious songs by the Sherman brothers, stupendous celluloid trickery, a disarming ensemble performance and spoonfuls of wholesomeness to make any medicine go down.
July 13, 2017
I love Julie Andrews more than I can say and this was her introduction to film audiences. A good classic Disney movie with plenty of magical musical numbers with Andrews and Dick Van Dyke combining to create an utterly charming film.
July 7, 2017
Mary Poppins is a fun filled joyfull beautiful piece of art. Although the lrgendary acting and outstanding soundtrack or some of the big parts of its uniqueness, I feel that it's storyline is what really brings it all together. Just like how mary Poppins describes herself, the movie is "practically perfect in every way"
June 30, 2017
The best movie from Disney ever!
June 25, 2017
A marvelous classic film! Or should I say... Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!
June 6, 2017
a true disney classic
May 27, 2017
True Disney magic! Timeless!
May 26, 2017
Cute, funny, lovingly.
½ May 2, 2017
Well this is a old fashioned movie and it's not one of my favorites but the music was good and my favorite character is Burt he was cool I thought, I suppose I wouldn't mind seeing it again
April 14, 2017
Practically perfect in every way. Some of the best music, acting, characters, and shots in any film ever (and what a message!).
April 14, 2017
If you asked me what was Walt Disney's greatest film he had ever created it would be this one. Mary Poppins is a very charming and wonderful story that anyone at any age can enjoy young and old. A brilliant cast and music that leaves you humming for hours. Out of all the Disney films ever created to this day, Mary Poppins stands out as one of the best masterpieces ever created in movie history.
April 12, 2017
As Walt's defining picture, it shatters all expectations on the first viewing, and only gets better every time you watch it. With it's colourful sets, jolly songs, beautiful special effects, and wonderful performances by Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, it is a modern masterpiece that I would watch infinite times if i could.
½ April 10, 2017
This all time classic with an excellently paced first half and a slightly baggy second half, is nevertheless top family entertainment which is as iconic as it is timeless.
½ January 21, 2017
The great, excellent, amazing, legendary performances, by Dick Van Dyke and by Julie Andrews, hide the apathetic performances by Matthew Garber and Karen Dotrice. One fact is that in an animation or kids movie, the weak script and the poor approach of the theme are insignificant and only what matters are the sweet songs, the charming story, the creativity and the originality of this movie. Little boring narrative.
½ January 8, 2017
Over 50 years later, "Mary Poppins" continues to be a childhood defining film for many people and it contains memorable scenes that will stick with them for the rest of their lives.
Sadly, upon re-watching this film again as an adult, there are two big problems that undermine this classic Disney musical.
First, the film has a pace that is a bit too slow. The runtime of the film is noticeably too long for what it is and therefore, spending less time holding onto some of the scenes would have been beneficiary for the viewing experience.
Second, I really do not like the film's message and definition for what makes a perfect person. The word 'Perfect' is one without a definition. It is a loose and open word, just like the word 'normal', meaning that both words are interpreted as something completely different between one person to another. The film tries to nail home a definition for 'perfect' by constantly stroking the ego of its titular character, who herself gleefully enjoys every single compliment made to her, even when she is being strict. Gag me.
Kids will need to take the film's message with a grain of salt and treat it more as a referential life lesson, NOT as a set-in-stone message.
Despite those two nagging issues, I can't deny the rest of the work that was put into the film. The music/score, the songs, the vocal performances (most notably Julie Andrews), the visuals, the dance choreography, the animation, and just the sheer eccentricity of the film are all exceptional. They all work in tandem to create a road trip musical that manages to put a smile onto my face more than once and it reminds us all about the whimsical, magical moments we had when we were children. Those moments stemmed from the days we used our imaginations to create fantastical adventures of our own...and still do!
Disney has too many great moments to count from its rich filmography and this film is home to a few of those moments. With that said, its slow pace and obnoxious presentation of a flawed message keep it from being a great film, but at least a good one.