Mary Poppins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mary Poppins Reviews

April 14, 2017
Practically perfect in every way. Some of the best music, acting, characters, and shots in any film ever (and what a message!).
April 14, 2017
If you asked me what was Walt Disney's greatest film he had ever created it would be this one. Mary Poppins is a very charming and wonderful story that anyone at any age can enjoy young and old. A brilliant cast and music that leaves you humming for hours. Out of all the Disney films ever created to this day, Mary Poppins stands out as one of the best masterpieces ever created in movie history.
April 12, 2017
As Walt's defining picture, it shatters all expectations on the first viewing, and only gets better every time you watch it. With it's colourful sets, jolly songs, beautiful special effects, and wonderful performances by Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke, it is a modern masterpiece that I would watch infinite times if i could.
½ April 10, 2017
This all time classic with an excellently paced first half and a slightly baggy second half, is nevertheless top family entertainment which is as iconic as it is timeless.
½ January 21, 2017
The great, excellent, amazing, legendary performances, by Dick Van Dyke and by Julie Andrews, hide the apathetic performances by Matthew Garber and Karen Dotrice. One fact is that in an animation or kids movie, the weak script and the poor approach of the theme are insignificant and only what matters are the sweet songs, the charming story, the creativity and the originality of this movie. Little boring narrative.
½ January 8, 2017
Over 50 years later, "Mary Poppins" continues to be a childhood defining film for many people and it contains memorable scenes that will stick with them for the rest of their lives.
Sadly, upon re-watching this film again as an adult, there are two big problems that undermine this classic Disney musical.
First, the film has a pace that is a bit too slow. The runtime of the film is noticeably too long for what it is and therefore, spending less time holding onto some of the scenes would have been beneficiary for the viewing experience.
Second, I really do not like the film's message and definition for what makes a perfect person. The word 'Perfect' is one without a definition. It is a loose and open word, just like the word 'normal', meaning that both words are interpreted as something completely different between one person to another. The film tries to nail home a definition for 'perfect' by constantly stroking the ego of its titular character, who herself gleefully enjoys every single compliment made to her, even when she is being strict. Gag me.
Kids will need to take the film's message with a grain of salt and treat it more as a referential life lesson, NOT as a set-in-stone message.
Despite those two nagging issues, I can't deny the rest of the work that was put into the film. The music/score, the songs, the vocal performances (most notably Julie Andrews), the visuals, the dance choreography, the animation, and just the sheer eccentricity of the film are all exceptional. They all work in tandem to create a road trip musical that manages to put a smile onto my face more than once and it reminds us all about the whimsical, magical moments we had when we were children. Those moments stemmed from the days we used our imaginations to create fantastical adventures of our own...and still do!
Disney has too many great moments to count from its rich filmography and this film is home to a few of those moments. With that said, its slow pace and obnoxious presentation of a flawed message keep it from being a great film, but at least a good one.
½ December 30, 2016
Mary Poppins is just the perfect family movie, where the songs are just timeless and backbones to general kids culture. The setting is delightful in a perfect ironic representation of the beginning of the century. Julie Andrews is just the perfect nanny, the perfect Mary Poppins.
Very brilliantly executed considering that the movie is from 1964 and the special effects were definitely not of the same abundance in quantity and quality as today.
December 25, 2016
10 out of 10:

Great lead performances, directing, animation, songs, effects, and story is why Mary Poppins still holds up.
½ December 10, 2016
Memorable set pieces, catchy songs and Julie Andrews' enchanting performance help to elevate Mary Poppins, a Disney musical quite overrated.
November 26, 2016
This is, in effect, a modern fairy tale that is rightly regarded as a Disney classic.
November 15, 2016
Absolutely perfect. It's magical, it's emotional, it's everything you want in the perfect family movie
October 23, 2016
Perfect for children.
October 8, 2016
How could anyone not like this movie? It's just so delightful and well done.
October 6, 2016
Truly the greatest live action film Walt Disney Pictures and Walt himself have ever produced
October 4, 2016
An immortal classic that will last for ever and ever and still captivates children and adults alike, a magical nanny taking care of a few unruly children helping them to order their room snapping his fingers, into an animated world in a painting in the floor, laughing and floating on the ceiling or dancing to the rooftops with chimney sweeps, it's amazing, you can feel happy and content being lost in this wonderful world where dreams and hopes are fulfilled because that is the true magic of movies , tries to escape and disconnect from the world, people are tired of the harsh reality, he just wants to enjoy, see fiction and forget about the problems of life for a few hours looking at the screen, because quoting the great Walt Disney "is what we do storytellers: restore order with imagination, we infuse hope again and again, "the film is much more than a machine to print money is an escape to places where everything is possible and nothing is what it seems.
½ September 26, 2016
A very fun and energetic children's film with an iconic, imposing performance by Julie Andrews and culminating in one of the most emotional scenes I've ever seen in a film, involving George Banks receiving fateful news from the bank he works at and walking there to meet what was coming to him.
September 2, 2016
This is one of the very best Disney movies and it's really magical. Every character delivers and every actor brings their game. It's a little slow but it's fun. Let's go fly a kite anyday and feed the birds whenever!!!
August 11, 2016
Love, love, love this movie. Great story and great music. I hate the idea that there is a remake in the works.
July 1, 2016
One of the best of all time. Magical!
June 16, 2016
Fun, charming and well-acted.