Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World Reviews

½ May 28, 2017
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is directed and co-written by Peter Weir, and it stats Russell Crowe and Paul Bethany in a war-drama about a captain of a ship that has his adventures going on, whether it be exploring islands, or going up against a ship that goes after them. I honestly don't remember why I recorded this movie as it's had been in the list for years, and the films that I've seen of the director, were The Truman Show, which I love, and The Way Back, which I remember liking but I haven't seen that film in years. So with his biggest film, I like it, but I wasn't quite a fan like many people did with this film. The acting is great, Russell Crowe can be a great and likable captain while also acting intimidating. The action is exciting to watch as it feels more realistic than something like the Pirates of the Caribbean films that are over the top fun. The characters are fun at times, and there are some interesting development in some of the characters. The writing by Peter Weir and John Collee is good, and the story can be interesting, if I actually care about what's going on. The first acts for me, I didn't find as interesting as I thought was going to be, although there were some cool scenes. The last act is where it's at as it's interesting, and has great action scenes which kept my interest. I don't think this film is for me as for sailing films, I find more enjoyable out of the Pirates of the Caribbean films, but I do like this movie enough that I'm still giving this a positive review.
April 18, 2017
The greatest start to a series that never was thanks to poor box office returns which is a shame because even though this is a relatively self contained film there was so much potential to expand thanks to the novels this film was based on. Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany are fantastic in the lead roles and have great chemistry between one another and the supporting cast are also solid with their interactions feeling extremely realistic which are all helped by the well written script. The action scenes are stellar while being grounded and realistic in their approach without needing over the top special effects and long drawn out fights. The score is equally emotional and bombastic which helps both the character driven scenes and the action. The production is faultless with the locations being stunning while the plot may be relatively basic it serves its function to allow us to go on this journey with these characters we grow to care about which is one area out of many I love about this film.
March 27, 2017
This is easily my favorite movie of all time. Crowe and Bettany perfectly exemplify the Aubrey/Maturin relationship. The scenery is perfect and the ship life is exhilarating. The crowning achievement of this film is it's score. Yo-Yo Ma leading the orchestral Bach is incredible. This is the pinnacle film for any lover of the great age of sail.
January 30, 2017
Master and Commander is painstaking in the details of 1800's seamanship and warfare by the sea. It's Russell Crowe's best acting (way better than gladiator) and its vision and scope is sure to be inspiring.
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 10, 2016
Even though most of the movie is shot in and on the HMS Surprise, it is so energetic and filled with well written characters, not to mention Russell Crowe at the helm!

The film gives you an idea of isolation at sea, as well as make you feel brimming with adventure, letting you feel as happy as the sailors when you sight land. Watching this is like watching a free-way car chase,with the same excitement drawn through-out the whole film, with the ocean as your road and frigates as cars.
½ November 27, 2016
Well crafted film set during Napoleonic Wars from Peter Weir. But with all its beauty of cinematography and fine performances you have to love the nautical theme to enjoy this film to the fullest.
October 15, 2016
I cannot decide if the acting or the vision is more perfect. What a wonderful problem to have.
September 16, 2016
I wanted so desperately not to like Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, I really did. It's a historical piece that takes place on the ocean. Strikes one and two. However, with every minute that passed, I found myself more and more intrigued, sucked in by the great aspects of the movie that I couldn't deny.

Based on two novels by Patrick O'Brian, Master and Commander centers around Captain Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) and his command of the ship the HMS Surprise. After spotting a renegade French ship, Aubrey and his crew embark on a mission to intercept the ship and take it out.

Yes, there were some things I didn't like about the film, but I think that was more of me trying to settle in to actually allow myself to enjoy it. Once I resigned myself fully, I couldn't get enough. Don't believe me, give it a shot and find out!

I'm a fan of solid endings, especially one with a slight twist. Master and Commander achieves that and further succeeds by ending on just the right note. The movie could have gone on for another twenty minutes but director Peter Weir was clever in knowing that it didn't need to.

There's way more to love about this movie than just the ending, though. The beginning is just as strong as it takes you immediately into action. Solid visualizations give you a feel for the action right as its happening, making it somehow seem like you're there on the HMS Surprise too. Finally, the film seems to have a great depiction of what it's like to live and fight on a warship. It's literally all hands on deck as the kids are just as involved as the adults. Call me twisted, but it definitely put a smile on my face watching a kid, who could have passed for seven, bust a cap in one of Napoleon's goons. Good stuff.

You'll have to excuse me for not watching this sooner. In 2003, I was a nineteen-year-old kid stuck in my own movie world, obsessed with films like The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Amazing movie, but also a safe bet. As I'm starting to come out of my comfort zone, I'm happy to stumble upon movies like Master and Commander. I can see now why it gave Return of the King such a run for its money at the Oscars. Not quite as good, but definitely great in its own right. I give it an 89.
September 16, 2016
Russell Crowe is worth the price of admission to this excellent and satisfying film.
August 3, 2016
Action, adventure and excitement that pulls you in start to end!
July 23, 2016
A good movie with great action and acting
jamrcla
July 6, 2016
A good old naval battle film that's good in the action but lack of any real story as it's just mostly 2 ships hunting each other until the final showdown which was brilliant and very entertaining, Russell Crowe was brilliant as he always is and he makes the film go by smoother, The film tries to make us care about the cast more than we would like and it does make for slow watching at times but it's still entertaining with some great acting and very well shot battle scenes, Yet another movie I waited too long to see, Don't do the same as me, It's worth a view.
July 3, 2016
Russel Crowe in one of his strongest roles, combined with some stunning moviemaking with tremendous scale. Glorious movie!
June 27, 2016
Grand and often very powerful, this seafaring adventure accounts the tests and decisions a commander faces, on top of being entertaining.
June 20, 2016
A powerful, if relatively lacking in straight entertainment, look into the lives of ordinary naval sailors in the Napoleonic wars, with epic battles, tense drama, and fantastic performances by Russell Crowe and Paul Betaney.
½ May 2, 2016
Epic in scope but also personal in it's ideas, Master and Commander is a smart and visually amazing that never forgets the humanity in it's center - while also delivering stellar action set-pieces.
April 27, 2016
Amazing movie. Acting, writing, and the boat made for one of my favorite movies.
April 23, 2016
I'm glad I listened to the people who said this was underappreciated, because I otherwise had pretty much written it off as a boring, romantic, Hornblower-esque rousing naval adventure based on its outward appearance. Was not expecting the creepy, foreboding atmosphere (mostly due to the brilliant use of score), incredible tension, and brutal, gut-wrenching action.