Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World Reviews

April 18, 2017
The greatest start to a series that never was thanks to poor box office returns which is a shame because even though this is a relatively self contained film there was so much potential to expand thanks to the novels this film was based on. Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany are fantastic in the lead roles and have great chemistry between one another and the supporting cast are also solid with their interactions feeling extremely realistic which are all helped by the well written script. The action scenes are stellar while being grounded and realistic in their approach without needing over the top special effects and long drawn out fights. The score is equally emotional and bombastic which helps both the character driven scenes and the action. The production is faultless with the locations being stunning while the plot may be relatively basic it serves its function to allow us to go on this journey with these characters we grow to care about which is one area out of many I love about this film.
March 27, 2017
This is easily my favorite movie of all time. Crowe and Bettany perfectly exemplify the Aubrey/Maturin relationship. The scenery is perfect and the ship life is exhilarating. The crowning achievement of this film is it's score. Yo-Yo Ma leading the orchestral Bach is incredible. This is the pinnacle film for any lover of the great age of sail.
January 30, 2017
Master and Commander is painstaking in the details of 1800's seamanship and warfare by the sea. It's Russell Crowe's best acting (way better than gladiator) and its vision and scope is sure to be inspiring.
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 10, 2016
Even though most of the movie is shot in and on the HMS Surprise, it is so energetic and filled with well written characters, not to mention Russell Crowe at the helm!

The film gives you an idea of isolation at sea, as well as make you feel brimming with adventure, letting you feel as happy as the sailors when you sight land. Watching this is like watching a free-way car chase,with the same excitement drawn through-out the whole film, with the ocean as your road and frigates as cars.
½ November 27, 2016
Well crafted film set during Napoleonic Wars from Peter Weir. But with all its beauty of cinematography and fine performances you have to love the nautical theme to enjoy this film to the fullest.
October 15, 2016
I cannot decide if the acting or the vision is more perfect. What a wonderful problem to have.
September 16, 2016
I wanted so desperately not to like Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World, I really did. It's a historical piece that takes place on the ocean. Strikes one and two. However, with every minute that passed, I found myself more and more intrigued, sucked in by the great aspects of the movie that I couldn't deny.

Based on two novels by Patrick O'Brian, Master and Commander centers around Captain Jack Aubrey (Russell Crowe) and his command of the ship the HMS Surprise. After spotting a renegade French ship, Aubrey and his crew embark on a mission to intercept the ship and take it out.

Yes, there were some things I didn't like about the film, but I think that was more of me trying to settle in to actually allow myself to enjoy it. Once I resigned myself fully, I couldn't get enough. Don't believe me, give it a shot and find out!

I'm a fan of solid endings, especially one with a slight twist. Master and Commander achieves that and further succeeds by ending on just the right note. The movie could have gone on for another twenty minutes but director Peter Weir was clever in knowing that it didn't need to.

There's way more to love about this movie than just the ending, though. The beginning is just as strong as it takes you immediately into action. Solid visualizations give you a feel for the action right as its happening, making it somehow seem like you're there on the HMS Surprise too. Finally, the film seems to have a great depiction of what it's like to live and fight on a warship. It's literally all hands on deck as the kids are just as involved as the adults. Call me twisted, but it definitely put a smile on my face watching a kid, who could have passed for seven, bust a cap in one of Napoleon's goons. Good stuff.

You'll have to excuse me for not watching this sooner. In 2003, I was a nineteen-year-old kid stuck in my own movie world, obsessed with films like The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. Amazing movie, but also a safe bet. As I'm starting to come out of my comfort zone, I'm happy to stumble upon movies like Master and Commander. I can see now why it gave Return of the King such a run for its money at the Oscars. Not quite as good, but definitely great in its own right. I give it an 89.
September 16, 2016
Russell Crowe is worth the price of admission to this excellent and satisfying film.
August 3, 2016
Action, adventure and excitement that pulls you in start to end!
July 23, 2016
A good movie with great action and acting
jamrcla
July 6, 2016
A good old naval battle film that's good in the action but lack of any real story as it's just mostly 2 ships hunting each other until the final showdown which was brilliant and very entertaining, Russell Crowe was brilliant as he always is and he makes the film go by smoother, The film tries to make us care about the cast more than we would like and it does make for slow watching at times but it's still entertaining with some great acting and very well shot battle scenes, Yet another movie I waited too long to see, Don't do the same as me, It's worth a view.
July 3, 2016
Russel Crowe in one of his strongest roles, combined with some stunning moviemaking with tremendous scale. Glorious movie!
June 27, 2016
Grand and often very powerful, this seafaring adventure accounts the tests and decisions a commander faces, on top of being entertaining.
June 20, 2016
A powerful, if relatively lacking in straight entertainment, look into the lives of ordinary naval sailors in the Napoleonic wars, with epic battles, tense drama, and fantastic performances by Russell Crowe and Paul Betaney.
½ May 2, 2016
Epic in scope but also personal in it's ideas, Master and Commander is a smart and visually amazing that never forgets the humanity in it's center - while also delivering stellar action set-pieces.
April 27, 2016
Amazing movie. Acting, writing, and the boat made for one of my favorite movies.
April 23, 2016
I'm glad I listened to the people who said this was underappreciated, because I otherwise had pretty much written it off as a boring, romantic, Hornblower-esque rousing naval adventure based on its outward appearance. Was not expecting the creepy, foreboding atmosphere (mostly due to the brilliant use of score), incredible tension, and brutal, gut-wrenching action.
March 6, 2016
The fictional epic sea yarns of Captain Jack Aubrey during the Napoleonic Wars in the early 1800's. This movie is an adaptation of a series of sea naval novels by Patrick O' Brian. The plot and characters being comprised of various segments from various novels in the Maturin series, the main two being obviously [i]Master and Commander[/i] and [i]HMS Surprise[/i] (there are 20 novels in the series).

The story starts of seeing Aubrey (Russell Crowe) of the HMS Surprise under attack from the French vessel (Privateer) Acheron, the very vessel Aubrey is under orders to seek and destroy basically. The French ship is stronger and faster leaving the Surprise heavily damaged, nevertheless Aubrey carries on with the hunt. The British follow the ship to hell and back through savage storms and freezing weather conditions trying to stop the French from attacking British whaling ships. Eventually whilst docked within the Galapagos Islands they stumble across the French and see an opportunity for attack, but in order to secure victory Aubrey must come up with something devilishly cunning in order to get in close to the French vessel.

Now admittedly this plot might seem dull if you think about it, blokes on old galleons, old fashioned Euro politics, period costumes, stiff upper lips everywhere etc...but you'd be wrong. The movie starts with a bang as Aubrey must fend off the French frigate that appears out of a thick sea fog like a ghost. The flash of multiple cannons is seen in the fog and the Surprise is hit seconds later in an explosion of timber. Men and boys scurry for their lives as various wooden features across the ships main deck are torn apart by the blast, showering everyone in splinters. The frigate emerges from its advantageous position to the shock and annoyance of Aubrey, hundreds of men toil feverishly to get the ships guns primed and ready before the frigate can come about for another attack. Aubrey remains cool and collected as he prepares himself, [i]sharp shooters to the top Mr Howard[/i], [i]stand tall on the quarter deck son, all of us[/i], [i]Mr Boyle, run up the colours[/i], [i]note for the log Mr Watt[/i]...as he is handed his tricorne. The Surprise is hit again and again, men are blown inwards by the shells, cut to pieces by the shrapnel. Those that are still alive are dragged down below for the ships doctor Maturin (Paul Bettany) to try and keep alive in his blood soaked quarters. The two warships are now virtually on top of each other, the Surprise heavily damaged with a smashed rudder. In desperation boats are dropped full of men to tow the lame Surprise as the French Acheron closes in. With luck the Surprise is pulled into another fog bank and manages to evade the French frigate, all is calm.

From this one sequence you can see how much of a rip-roaring epic this movie is gonna be, it also highlights the immense levels of realism and authenticity on display. So lets talk about that, the realism. Well for starters most the of scenes were filmed on a huge full scale replica of the HMS Rose (later renamed Surprise in honour of this film), a ship based on a 17th century 20 gun frigate. Now admittedly you can tell this, or I could, by the way the camera always pans around the hull of the ship and never drops below to actually show the sea, but apart from that this large set on gimbals is amazingly realistic looking from bow to stern. At other times the cast were shot on-board the real HMS Rose to capture some awe-inspiring panoramic shots at sea. Sure I don't exactly know how an 18th century vessel would look, but I have a rough idea like many people would, and what we see here is really impressive right down to the tiniest details. The main deck is a mass of ropes, rope ladders and knots, draped, hanging and looping all over the place. Everything is of course made of wood which naturally seems very fragile but rigid (the fear of splinters plays on ones mind), the doctor uses sand on the blood soaked floor to get a better grip when dealing with injuries, hourglasses are used as a measure of time, and everything is generally very dim because only candles light the way.

Its not all about battles and blood though, much of what we see is simply natural life on-board ship as they sail from point to point. The officers quarters are, as you would expect, spic-and-span with a grand but not overly lavish trim. The ships top gentry may enjoy a fine drink in the Captains quarters whilst discussing their next move, or they dine together whilst surrounded by their lower ranking officers, or the Captain and the doctor might engage in some classical music renditions utilising cello and violin. This one aspect shows their upbringing, their well-rounded, cultural backgrounds, as does their boardroom-esque arguments which often swing from strategy to philosophy again displaying the wealth of knowledge both men have. On the flips side the lower sections of the ship are a much darker, bleaker affair where the grunts sleep in hammocks, space is limited, the air is probably pungent and where sickness most probably spreads very easily, although the top decks wouldn't escape that either. Yet despite this its clear to see that Aubrey is a decent man, a well-rounded, genuine, good Captain who cares for his crew no matter which station. He is of course stern but fair, displaying strength and leadership when needed to keep his men in line and loyal to him, but the crew clearly show they are happy to follow their Captain.

Overall on a visual standpoint this film is damn near perfect as far as I'm concerned. The sets and props are all faultless, the costumes are authentic, every actors hairstyle looks actually genuine, the workings of an old 18th century ship seem spot on, the knowledge of the day medically and universally, and distance shots of the Surprise at sea at various times of the day are breathtaking. The fact they managed to film on the Galapagos Islands was also a notch on the movies belt for sure, the film is chock full of money shots.The film also teaches and informs you along the way too. Its amazing to think so many men managed to all cram on-board a ship like this, that there was actually enough room for them, enough food and water etc...It also shows you how strong men must have been back then, when you see the pitch battle between vessels, wood being blown into millions of deadly splinters, bodies flying, blood, limbs, smoke, the noise etc...How on earth did the Captain manage to keep control?! its incredible how every man knew what to do, each and every one of them all very important cogs and gears in a large machine.
It also gets you thinking about the little things, like what did they do with wet clothes? did they have other spare clothes or were they often wet? Did they really manage to rebuild parts of their damaged ship as we see in the film? At the start the Surprise is hit hard and badly damaged, yet the men toil like worker ants and get it all shipshape again, is that accurate? I did also wonder about the whaling ships too, like why were the French so obsessed with sinking British whaling ships? I'm guessing because they were carrying precious blubber which would later be transformed into oil? Did these ships really have many young, high ranking boys on them? You see a good historical film makes you want to know more.

Director Weir definitely captures the essence of a long period at sea, the loneliness, desperation, boredom etc...But this is alleviated by the addition of subplots which allow us to get to know the various crew members better. This being another of the films plus points, the fact that all the characters are well fleshed out, we see small story arcs , we care about them, from the bottom of the barrel, to the officers. On one hand we have the situation where one of the young officers is having real problems instilling discipline amongst the men, he is weak willed and at times shy, the men do not respond to him and refer to him as a 'Jonah'. Then we have a situation where the good doctor is accidentally shot by the Marine officer (who was trying to shoot an Albatross), and must undergo surgery, performed by his own hand with the help of his friend Aubrey. We also see the doctor performing major surgery on an elderly sailor whom we follow throughout, and we see the conflict between Aubrey and Maturin as one wants to defeat the French, and the other wants to push science. [i]'I command a King's ship, not a private yacht, we do not have time for your damned hobbies, Sir!'[/i]. Finally there is the young officer Blakeney who comes under the tutelage of Maturin and Aubrey but for very different things. The young boy shares a passion for biology which Maturin is happy to encourage, where as Aubrey is slowly instilling a sense of authority and honour into the boy, so he can himself, one day, captain a ship. Both main leads show their true character with this development whilst at the same time showing how they play off each other and the crew.

It may sound a tad boring to just follow this band of men around the seas on-board an old galleon, especially as the movie does have that strong vibe of passing time, but this passage is so thoroughly engaging I fail to see how anyone could not get caught up in the adventure. Especially seeing as the producers even went as far as to change the setting from the 1813 Anglo-American war to the 1805 Napoleonic wars so as not to offend any American audiences (ugh!). Nevertheless this film has pretty much everything you could want, its virtually perfect in every field from visuals to acting to score. A rousing high seas adventure with tense, realistic, heart-pounding action. Grand in scope, and deep on human character.