Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World Reviews

June 4, 2018
Master and Commander will leave you wanting more and wondering where the sequel to the movie is. One of Russell Crowe's best, and certainly the same for the supporting cast.
May 25, 2018
A wonderful, beautiful, and thrilling film!
May 23, 2018
Unforgettable, true to the spirit of O'Brien
March 9, 2018
Wonderfully true to the books.
½ February 26, 2018
The performances memorable, the script excellent, the score incredible, the action engaging and the directing outstanding.
February 13, 2018
A big budget blockbuster that accomplishes what it sets out to do. Beautiful costumes, extravagant sets set in gorgeous natural landscapes, and thrilling battle scenes buttressed by terrific performances by both Crowe and Bettant make this movie a terrific success. Swashbuckling adventure hasn't been this sincere since Errol Flynn. While this movie isn't quite Battleship Potkeman or Das Boot, it certainly ranks as one of the greatest nautical adventure films of the last two decades.
½ November 25, 2017
The movie does a good job of transporting you into the world of being out at sea in this time period. It shows that there were many challenges and gives you a good feel of what it was like early on in the movie. I also enjoyed the performances and thought the movie ended up being a good story of friendship. Sometimes the movie would really slow down and I would lose interest here and there. However, as a whole, it was a solid historical movie that I enjoyed watching because of the setting and performances.
November 24, 2017
A poor variation of Moby Dick
½ September 15, 2017
One of those rare moments when the movie is better than the published works it is based upon.
June 27, 2017
The story is slow moving. The battle sequences are exciting and believable, but there are only two. The characterization is pretty good, but not enough to get to three stars.
½ June 26, 2017
Russel Crowe and Paul Bettany are both great. Master and Commanders is a fun film to watch with your buddies. A very simple story and more of a character study. The sets and ships are beautiful. The dialogue was good as well, when Russel Crowe was giving speeches before battles it made me want to jump right into battle with the rest of the crew.
½ June 17, 2017
the film had potensale but you just cant tell them full story in film format and also didnt grab any real interest
June 17, 2017
Not bad, but not sure what everyone was so excited about back in the day.
½ May 28, 2017
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World is directed and co-written by Peter Weir, and it stats Russell Crowe and Paul Bethany in a war-drama about a captain of a ship that has his adventures going on, whether it be exploring islands, or going up against a ship that goes after them. I honestly don't remember why I recorded this movie as it's had been in the list for years, and the films that I've seen of the director, were The Truman Show, which I love, and The Way Back, which I remember liking but I haven't seen that film in years. So with his biggest film, I like it, but I wasn't quite a fan like many people did with this film. The acting is great, Russell Crowe can be a great and likable captain while also acting intimidating. The action is exciting to watch as it feels more realistic than something like the Pirates of the Caribbean films that are over the top fun. The characters are fun at times, and there are some interesting development in some of the characters. The writing by Peter Weir and John Collee is good, and the story can be interesting, if I actually care about what's going on. The first acts for me, I didn't find as interesting as I thought was going to be, although there were some cool scenes. The last act is where it's at as it's interesting, and has great action scenes which kept my interest. I don't think this film is for me as for sailing films, I find more enjoyable out of the Pirates of the Caribbean films, but I do like this movie enough that I'm still giving this a positive review.
April 18, 2017
The greatest start to a series that never was thanks to poor box office returns which is a shame because even though this is a relatively self contained film there was so much potential to expand thanks to the novels this film was based on. Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany are fantastic in the lead roles and have great chemistry between one another and the supporting cast are also solid with their interactions feeling extremely realistic which are all helped by the well written script. The action scenes are stellar while being grounded and realistic in their approach without needing over the top special effects and long drawn out fights. The score is equally emotional and bombastic which helps both the character driven scenes and the action. The production is faultless with the locations being stunning while the plot may be relatively basic it serves its function to allow us to go on this journey with these characters we grow to care about which is one area out of many I love about this film.
March 27, 2017
This is easily my favorite movie of all time. Crowe and Bettany perfectly exemplify the Aubrey/Maturin relationship. The scenery is perfect and the ship life is exhilarating. The crowning achievement of this film is it's score. Yo-Yo Ma leading the orchestral Bach is incredible. This is the pinnacle film for any lover of the great age of sail.
January 30, 2017
Master and Commander is painstaking in the details of 1800's seamanship and warfare by the sea. It's Russell Crowe's best acting (way better than gladiator) and its vision and scope is sure to be inspiring.
January 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 10, 2016
Even though most of the movie is shot in and on the HMS Surprise, it is so energetic and filled with well written characters, not to mention Russell Crowe at the helm!

The film gives you an idea of isolation at sea, as well as make you feel brimming with adventure, letting you feel as happy as the sailors when you sight land. Watching this is like watching a free-way car chase,with the same excitement drawn through-out the whole film, with the ocean as your road and frigates as cars.
½ November 27, 2016
Well crafted film set during Napoleonic Wars from Peter Weir. But with all its beauty of cinematography and fine performances you have to love the nautical theme to enjoy this film to the fullest.