Matchstick Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Matchstick Men Reviews

March 11, 2017
One of the lesser-known Ridley Scott films, Matchstick Men (2003) could have been just another heist film, and in some senses, it is. Upon watching the film again, one can easily pick up exactly when the "long con" starts up and which events lead toward the inevitable conclusion. So, perhaps it doesn't have the ability to demand repeat watchings (past about two) on its heist aspects. However, I believe the characters are what give this movie most of its charm. After all, characters make a story, and this one has some good ones.

In one of his best "crazy person" roles, Nicholas Cage does an incredible job portraying Roy, a con-artist with severe Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. His performance is often difficult to watch and is cringe-worthy in the opening act. If this is what it's truly like living with OCD, I never want to joke about having it . . . ever. I'm almost amazed he even managed to con as many people as he did considering how serious his condition appears. The little tics and freak-outs Cage brings to this character make his disorder real to the audience.

Sam Rockwell ends up portraying the same kind of character he always does in these types of films, but Alison Lohman ends up being the Yin to Cage's Yang with her role as Angela, Roy's 14-year old daughter. She pulls out all the stops and tropes of the teenage girl, which makes for a convincing performance, especially since it's a performance within a performance. Because her presence changes Roy for the better, it's obvious something was missing in his life, and she managed to bring him stability by providing it. On top of all these characters, the spot-on Hans Zimmer score and choice of musical pieces to accompany it make Matchstick Men a fun watch.

A standard heist film with a non-standard main character, I give Matchstick Men 3.0 stars out of 5.
February 21, 2017
Grade - B
One of Ridley Scott's better films of late, 'Matchstick Men' is a great showcase for Nicolas Cage's wacky performance, and is supported by a good script.
January 31, 2017
Constructive snooping.
½ January 19, 2017
This is an impressive movie with fantastic performances all around, especially from Nic the Cage. How Cage pulled this off, especially with one particular quote, I might never know. Somehow, Sir Ridley Scott managed to make the backstabbing twist in the end of this movie absolutely work. Definitely recommended.
½ November 15, 2016
not bad, one of Nicolas Cage's best performances
½ October 4, 2016
Ridley Scott's con movie outing is charming, but overplayed, which serves to give away the ending long before the end. Kinda ruined it for me. And the main con in the piece never questions the actions of his subordinates, which he calmly tells us, is his main job. And so, meh.
September 25, 2016
Witty script, makes you wonder who's conning who? Brilliantly played by Cage, Rockwell & Lohman.
September 3, 2016
Predictable from the beginning
½ August 17, 2016
I gave this one a re-watch off the To-Watch Pile recently and I have to say that I enjoy Nic Cage when he's doing his quirky shtick, plus the twists of the film are interesting and charming.

Well worth a look for the strong performances from all of the leads. Give it a rental.
July 24, 2016
The unraveling is a bit of a stretch, but "Matchstick Men" is an entertaining and touching bit of satire.
July 15, 2016
For all the supposed psychology behind the plot, there's not much logic here. Yet I have to admit that the last 30 minutes of the film had me tickled.
June 20, 2016
A con film with interesting characters and unpredictable twists.
½ June 7, 2016
The con here is Ridley Scott trying to trick us into thinking he can make a nonboring moving. By the end of this flick, your hand is picking up the phone to call the movie police for the crime of trying to pass off this piece of crap as a con movies. For a con movie to be a success, it must con the audience. This movie only succeeds in boring its audience.
June 5, 2016
Decent little twist at the end. It made me angry yet happy.
April 2, 2016
Deep, intriguing, well written story. The music is not bad too.
½ March 20, 2016
Con a con man. Not bad.
½ February 21, 2016
One of my favorite movies. So enjoyable.
½ February 20, 2016
this is one of the all time best Nicolas cage movies ever made
January 28, 2016
Smart, funny, and well-acted, Matchstick Men is another good movie by the great Ridley Scott.
December 18, 2015
Fine movie. That's about it.