Memoirs of a Geisha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Memoirs of a Geisha Reviews

July 11, 2017
Amazing visuals with a fantastic setting.
April 30, 2017
It may not be as refined as the book, but I really enjoy it to this day.
½ March 15, 2017
Some nice scenery, but ultimately boring.
March 3, 2017
Beautiful cinematography with an interesting story. Though it is not completely factual, I do not condone the author of the book or the movie director for taking certain creative liberties. Many people make the mistake that because it is one of the few movies out there about geishas, they think everything should be nonfiction about it.
And despite the movie taking a few liberties about the actual culture, there is much they got right. Those wanting to see it for educational purposes also have to keep in mind that because the actual world of professional geishas are so closed off, there is not much information out there about it.
All in all, I thought it was a beautiful, entertaining movie that shares a bit on a culture that is mostly closed off to the world.
December 22, 2016
Looks great, but doesn't really say anything new.
June 26, 2016
I learned my lesson.  I hated The Black Dahlia because I loved the book so much and they altered it for film too much.  I didn't read Interview with a Vampire until after I saw the movie.  Occasionally there is a book to film translation done right.  Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe comes to mind.  I didn't read The Da Vinci Code and I enjoyed that movie.  However, that film prompted me to read Angels & Demons which hopefully won't disappoint on the big screen, though I fear it might.  What's all this about, you ask.  I didn't read Memoirs of a Geisha and I swore I wouldn't see the film until I did.  Alas, I remembered The Black Dahlia and finally caved.  I'm glad I did.  This was such a fantastic movie.  I recommend it, but only if you didn't read the book.
May 10, 2016
Liked the film...wish I didn't read the book first tho!
½ April 17, 2016
Such a wonderful tale that takes us inside the mysterious world of Geishas. It carved an unlikely love story with a lovable twist in the ending.
April 9, 2016
Beautiful film and the music is superb
March 15, 2016
Behind captivating visuals and a surprising performance by Ohgo, lies what's arguably Geisha's (biggest) weakness - the story. The vibrant colors that surround the film are never capable of hiding the undeveloped romance between Sayuri and the Chairman, which culminates in a pleasing, yet predictable climax.
March 7, 2016
Maybe Im a sucker for great cinematography...but I enjoyed this a lot more than the critics.
January 11, 2016
Believe it or not I remember when this film was released I was like yeah I'm gonna watch it... then a year passed and another year then another 5 years and it took me almost 10 years to get to this film and I'm glad I did ... it was a beautiful film no brainer nothing psychological just real nice story of a geisha ...
½ November 13, 2015
The visuals and technical aspects are indeed splendid; but the flawed narrative, though enjoyable to follow during most of the time, seems like a cheap soap-opera that even comes up with a ridiculous revelation in a pathetic, melodramatic last half-hour.
September 26, 2015
Great movie, the book is also wonderful!
September 20, 2015
Nice story that familiarise Japan. Enough adventure related to the growing child to keep the interest. The hero girl is the cutest! The women are not too bad either. Likable.
September 20, 2015
July 12, 2015
Lovely traditional Japan, nice cinematography and visuals. The story itself hinges upon certain characters being total spaz. Therefore, it gets a bit irritating.
July 6, 2015
All you need to know is this movie embodies beauty.
June 29, 2015
I didnt read the book. I dont agree with the fact one should be satisfied with being someone elses mistress. Life is complicated, If happiness iis found. Love it and live it.