Memoirs of a Geisha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Memoirs of a Geisha Reviews

June 26, 2016
I learned my lesson.  I hated The Black Dahlia because I loved the book so much and they altered it for film too much.  I didn't read Interview with a Vampire until after I saw the movie.  Occasionally there is a book to film translation done right.  Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe comes to mind.  I didn't read The Da Vinci Code and I enjoyed that movie.  However, that film prompted me to read Angels & Demons which hopefully won't disappoint on the big screen, though I fear it might.  What's all this about, you ask.  I didn't read Memoirs of a Geisha and I swore I wouldn't see the film until I did.  Alas, I remembered The Black Dahlia and finally caved.  I'm glad I did.  This was such a fantastic movie.  I recommend it, but only if you didn't read the book.
May 10, 2016
Liked the film...wish I didn't read the book first tho!
½ April 17, 2016
Such a wonderful tale that takes us inside the mysterious world of Geishas. It carved an unlikely love story with a lovable twist in the ending.
April 9, 2016
Beautiful film and the music is superb
March 15, 2016
Behind captivating visuals and a surprising performance by Ohgo, lies what's arguably Geisha's (biggest) weakness - the story. The vibrant colors that surround the film are never capable of hiding the undeveloped romance between Sayuri and the Chairman, which culminates in a pleasing, yet predictable climax.
March 7, 2016
Maybe Im a sucker for great cinematography...but I enjoyed this a lot more than the critics.
January 11, 2016
Believe it or not I remember when this film was released I was like yeah I'm gonna watch it... then a year passed and another year then another 5 years and it took me almost 10 years to get to this film and I'm glad I did ... it was a beautiful film no brainer nothing psychological just real nice story of a geisha ...
½ November 13, 2015
The visuals and technical aspects are indeed splendid; but the flawed narrative, though enjoyable to follow during most of the time, seems like a cheap soap-opera that even comes up with a ridiculous revelation in a pathetic, melodramatic last half-hour.
September 26, 2015
Great movie, the book is also wonderful!
September 20, 2015
Nice story that familiarise Japan. Enough adventure related to the growing child to keep the interest. The hero girl is the cutest! The women are not too bad either. Likable.
July 12, 2015
Lovely traditional Japan, nice cinematography and visuals. The story itself hinges upon certain characters being total spaz. Therefore, it gets a bit irritating.
July 6, 2015
All you need to know is this movie embodies beauty.
June 29, 2015
I didnt read the book. I dont agree with the fact one should be satisfied with being someone elses mistress. Life is complicated, If happiness iis found. Love it and live it.
June 15, 2015
Why did this get such bad reviews? It's such a good book movie!!!
½ June 11, 2015
The book is incredible, the movie is good with some painful flaws. First of all, chinese =/= japanese. Secondly, the scene they invented near the end of the movie with the American general acting like an unrestrained pervert towards Sayuri is stupid, insulting, and a hollywood cliché that the story in no way needed.
May 31, 2015
85%
Watched this on 31/5/15
Memoirs of a Geisha is a subtle, well shot and acted film with great music and marvelous cinematography. Also it captures one of Japan's most ancient artist groups with vivid attraction though at times they can simply be prying and nagging. Li Gong adds much spark to this film and lead actress Ziyi Zhang is also great in her role.
May 17, 2015
A so-so story, but very well made with perfect art direction.
April 11, 2015
Beneath the gloss and lavishness of this picture is a tale of female viciousness and deceit, despite what some would call an overlong run time, Memoirs never bores, it gripped me from first frame to last -- It's one of the most beautiful movies I have ever seen.
½ March 22, 2015
It's a beautiful-looking and well-acted film, but it suffers from a slowly-paced storyline, a weak screenplay and an over-the-top melodramatic last half hour.
February 11, 2015
Very well made! The plot is very good. The attention to details is incredible, actors are amazing.