Midnight Express - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Midnight Express Reviews

January 9, 2018
Saw it years ago, and now recently, excellent true prison story of prison brutality with an incredible ending!
December 24, 2017
Love the real prison beatings
November 29, 2017
A guy is a caught smuggling drugs and sentenced to a Turkish prison.
November 18, 2017
powerful acting and writing
October 31, 2017
There are moments of cinematic glory but overall I found this dated and not the classic I'd been lead to believe. Some of the dialogue was overtly melodramtic and I never really bought into the lead's plight.
½ August 6, 2017
This American-British-Turkish prison drama film is based on a true story. The tension and drama certainly build throughout the film, with some scenes being quite harrowing. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time. AAN
½ July 30, 2017
A gut-wrenching prison epic with an Oliver Stone script and pounding Giorgio Moroder music that had offended the Turkish people or the disastrous consequences their film had on the country's tourism industry.
½ July 13, 2017
Simply a masterpiece.
May 25, 2017
Good political thriller. Teaches me to be grateful for where I live.
May 6, 2017
1924 Was 54 Years Old In 1978.
May 4, 2017
Midnight Express is very difficult to judge. You have two movies here - one is very good and the other one is horrendous. As a biopic, it fails miserably as it is such an exaggerated, sensationalist portrayal of a real story and rarely have I seen such horrible, shameful xenophobia which was certainly portrayed here and the film is basically one giant hate letter to Turkey. But watching it as a fictional movie, it is actually stupendous. The performances are very good, the film is so well made and it is such a harrowing and unnerving movie that is frequently even powerful with many superb and memorable sequences. It is also accompanied by such a phenomenal score with a gorgeous theme. So in the end I'd say this is a good film, but an irresponsible one nonetheless.
April 23, 2017
Midnight Express has some cheesy moments, but I loved it. I like the paranoid atmosphere and the retro film quality.
February 17, 2017
Although the performances are good, the original story has been "Hollywoodised" and subsequently falls down on characterisation and the ridiculous escape at the end.
February 3, 2017
Alan Parker's unrelenting grip combined with Oliver Stone's sharp script makes Midnight Express a harrowing journey.
January 29, 2017
Filled entirely with an unsettling sense of gritty frustration, Alan Parker shows his ability to direct a story of desperation, injustice and de grieve for freedom, with a great cast, visuals and a cruel look at the horrors of a Turkey prison.
December 19, 2016
The controversy surrounding the way the Turks are depicted is not without reason, but the film is quite engaging (with a wonderful score) as a disturbing portrayal of hell as a Turkish prison, showing the ugly conditions faced by a very unfortunate man in a horrible situation.
½ September 30, 2016
American student Billy Hayes is arrested for smuggling hashish out of Turkey, and then is introduced to the sadistic prison system of another country in a tumultuous time. The main character isn't that sympathetic, but his adjustment to the prison system and the way he struggles both physically and mentally is very intriguing. The performances are raw, the film is gritty and unrelenting and its one of the more intense prison dramas.
½ September 25, 2016
Midnight Express is absolutely thrilling! It's not an easy watch, but it's certainly worth checking out.
September 19, 2016
82%
Saw this on 17/9/16
Oliver Stone's maiden script and an Alan Parker film, Midnight express is raw and hard hitting look into a madness that occured in real life. Its as intriguing as it gruesome to watch.