Miller's Crossing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miller's Crossing Reviews

August 12, 2016
The movie is a masterpiece about the consequences of pride, greed, and mistrust. A must see.
August 9, 2016
Even though the story isn't as cohesive as it should be, the atmosphere is enveloping, the performances are spot-on, and the dialogue is sharply written. This gangster epic marks another score for the Coens.
July 16, 2016
A brilliant masterful take on old gangster movies. The cinematography is gorgeous. Well worth watching.
½ July 11, 2016
"ONE of the TOP 10 GANGSTER FILMS of ALL-TIME!" (92-out-of-100)
½ July 6, 2016
I hadn't seen this film in a long time (probably in over 15 years) and I DVR'd it on HBO. 'Miller's Crossing' is a great classic gangster flick. I always feel that this film is constantly underrated as it's a great film. The film has a great cast and a great story; I also love how Tom plays multiple sides against each other. There are a few parts that are a little over the top, especially the gun fights and they seemed very Coen-esque, but for me they took away from the film. Overall, 'Miller's Crossing' is one of the Coen Brothers best films and one of the best gangster films out there not named 'The Godfather'.
May 20, 2016
160520: Wasn't really sure what I had seen the first time I watched this film. Did some research, watched the first 30 minutes again and realized it was exactly what I thought it was. With that, I'm still a bit ambivalent. A character driven film revolving around prohibition, organized crime and the notion of loyalty. In hindsight, liked it more than not. Looking forward to seeing it again as I feel I will appreciate the nuances more the next time. As actors go, Bryne (Reagan) and Harden (Verna) are an acquired taste and I don't believe I have acquired that taste as of yet. Many of the other characters are quite enjoyable however including Leo (Finney), Caspar (Polito), Bernie (Turturro), and Frankie (Starr). A couple flaws I picked up on were annoying.
May 3, 2016
A Coen Brothers classic about an old-school gang war. The best Neo-Noire movie in the past 30 years.
½ April 28, 2016
Solid character study of mob types - witty, slyly humorous, and very intelligent, and the audience knows more than the characters.
Brilliant.
But no flash or pizzazz, except for the set pieces which are almost mesmerizing, and perfectly done.
Everything made sense in the end - it needed just one good twist, surprise, or even scare, but solid and complete for what is here.
Worthy.

3.5 fedoras out of 5
½ April 27, 2016
Brilliant - the first sign of the Coen Brothers' genius for film-making.

Tom Reagan (played by Gabriel Byrne) is the right-hand man, and chief adviser, to a mob boss, Leo (Albert Finney). Trouble is brewing between Leo and another mob boss, Johnny Caspar (Jon Polito), over the activities of a bookie, Bernie Bernbaum (John Turturro) and Leo and Tom are at odds on how to deal with it. Meanwhile, Tom is in a secret relationship with Leo's girlfriend, Verna (Marcia Gay Harden), who happens to be the sister of Bernie. In trying to resolve the issue, Tom is cast out from Leo's camp and ultimately finds himself stuck in the middle between several deadly, unforgiving parties.

Fantastic storytelling from Joel and Ethan Coen. Clever, complex plot. Good ramping up of the intrigue, tension and claustrophobia as the movie goes on. You can feel how Tom is being hemmed in from all sides and how no matter which way he turns somebody is going to be out to kill him.

Some good comedic moments too.

Wonderful camerawork and cinematography. The forest scenes are particularly beautiful and haunting. The score helps there too.

Great performances all round. Gabriel Byrne gets the icy coolness and wise cracking of Tom down perfectly, like he was Humphrey Bogart and this was a Sam Spade/Micky Spillane movie. The other standout performance is John Turturro as Bernie - his under-pressure hysterics are something to behold.

A wonderful modern film noir-type movie, and who better to do it than the Coen Brothers. Until this movie they had shown, with Blood Simple and Raising Arizona, that they could make good movies, but there was a spark of genius missing. With this, their third movie, they showed they could make GREAT movies, movies that were incredible works of art. And it didn't end here. After this they would scale even greater heights with movies that rank among some of the best the world has ever seen - The Big Lebowski, Fargo and No Country for Old Men.
½ April 7, 2016
It's story is messy and uneven but the Coen brothers direction, cinematography, and finely tuned dialogue makes up for this.
Grade: B-
½ March 30, 2016
I've never been one for mobster/gangster movies but this transcends the genre in a way only a Cohen brothers movie could. The screenplay is excellently crafted with dialogue that is almost a poetic homage to the gangster movies of golden age cinema. There is laugh out loud moments and pathos and every performance is pitch perfect. Fantastic film.
March 28, 2016
great actors however the film is a major yawn. Way way too much talking about items of no interest.
March 25, 2016
The film has style and A story so grand words can't describe how good it is. The characters are awesome and so is this film
March 10, 2016
Great Little Mob Movie, Coen Brother's Style....
½ March 9, 2016
A gangster film for the ages is actually a homage to the B movies of days gone by, before The Godfather upped the ante and changed the game. Snappy dialogue and seedy bottom dwellers you wouldn't trust with the gum on your shoe highlight this effort wherein everybody smokes and drinks (they ain't got time to eat, like in The Godfather), everybody's looking for an angle to play. Marcia Gay Hardin and Albert Finney are absolutely superb.
½ March 4, 2016
Let's start with the positives, the way Miller's Crossing is made is flawless, the cinematography is seamless, the performances are stellar, the costume design and art direction is pitch perfect, the movie is very well made.
But this slick and sharp movie does not have an narrative magnet to interest us and get us through the movie, i just watched it and i couldn't describe what the movie's actually about, things happened, people got killed, the end. Nothing much really happens where we as audience members care much about the storyline. A handful of characters are instantly, slowly or barely introduced throughout the movie, at least a dozen that have some role, but not a single one you care about nor do you understand completely what they are doing and why they are there. (With an exception to Bernie beautifully portrayed by John Turturro)

All in all Miller's Crossing is a well-made film, but the narrative is far from compelling to pull is through this movie experience and it never fully convinces in terms of either period or plot, but it sure has its moments, and when they land, they flourish
February 28, 2016
I think you have to see this, a good opening to the average 90s.
February 18, 2016
One of the smartest movies, with its perfect screenplay
February 14, 2016
Possibly my favourite of the Coens' work. One of the best neo-noir works in the genre, up there with Roman Polanski's 'Chinatown' and Rian Johnson's 'Brick'. There's no other film like it.
February 12, 2016