Miller's Crossing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miller's Crossing Reviews

½ February 21, 2017
Il film prende tutto il suo tempo per costruire una vicenda a tema gangster molto intricata e difficile da seguire. Nonostante questo, la solita sceneggiatura dei Coen aiuta a seguire il filo logico della storia, ricca di numerosi espedienti registici veramente innovativi e moderni ancora adesso. Il solito umorismo velato presente anche in questo caso e rende il tutto molto pi fruibile e meno pesante da seguire. Di sicuro non il migliore dei Coen, ma il loro stile inimitabile rende la visione un'esperienza unica nel suo genere, come in tutte le altre loro pellicole.
½ January 27, 2017
One of the best gangster movies of all time.
½ January 1, 2017
A mafioso movie made by the Coen brothers according to own recipe, nearby to Coppola and Scorsese. Remarkable roles and absorbing, soft score by Carter Burwell.
½ December 17, 2016
The script was deep with tough guy prohibition era slang making it hard to follow at times. Also enough characters to be confusing while being entertaining once it was more clearly obvious who each person was.
November 18, 2016
Seems as though the Coen Brothers can't make a bad movie.
November 13, 2016
This is one of my all time favorite movies. The Coen brothers wrote the excellent script and Joel Coen did a wonderful job directing.
½ November 1, 2016
Style and substance go hand-in-hand in the Coen's slick and idiosyncratic take on film noir. Underappreciated gem and one of the standouts in their already stellar filmography.
October 21, 2016
A lesson in how to write a tight script.
October 17, 2016
I have a feeling that "Miller's Crossing" is one of those films that would get better and better with multiple viewings. I like this movie very much. I would have never imagined that the Coen brothers would make a gangster film, and although I'm not quite sure what this movie is about, I thought it was a really compelling piece of work with distinctively quirky characters. Sharp dialogue, beautiful cinematography, and really good performances. I have a feeling that it is going to be one of my favorite Coen brothers films as I watch multiple times. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
October 10, 2016
"Nobody knows anyone, not that well."
October 6, 2016
Though possibly more notable for its distinctive style than an airtight story, this Coen brothers take on the classic gangster flick features sharp dialogue, impressive cinematography, and a typically quirky cast of characters.
September 14, 2016
Just watched this again and cannot fault what is one of the greatest gangster films ever made. The Coen Brothers are genius filmmakers and every character is crafted with love. The music sweeps you in and the story is continously moving until the bitter end, I never expect a tacky happy ending from them and this film is just the same.
September 13, 2016
A gangster movie with many twists. Competent and clever, but not at the level of later works such as Fargo.
August 12, 2016
The movie is a masterpiece about the consequences of pride, greed, and mistrust. A must see.
August 9, 2016
Even though the story isn't as cohesive as it should be, the atmosphere is enveloping, the performances are spot-on, and the dialogue is sharply written. This gangster epic marks another score for the Coens.
July 16, 2016
A brilliant masterful take on old gangster movies. The cinematography is gorgeous. Well worth watching.
½ July 11, 2016
"ONE of the TOP 10 GANGSTER FILMS of ALL-TIME!" (92-out-of-100)
½ July 6, 2016
I hadn't seen this film in a long time (probably in over 15 years) and I DVR'd it on HBO. 'Miller's Crossing' is a great classic gangster flick. I always feel that this film is constantly underrated as it's a great film. The film has a great cast and a great story; I also love how Tom plays multiple sides against each other. There are a few parts that are a little over the top, especially the gun fights and they seemed very Coen-esque, but for me they took away from the film. Overall, 'Miller's Crossing' is one of the Coen Brothers best films and one of the best gangster films out there not named 'The Godfather'.
May 20, 2016
160520: Wasn't really sure what I had seen the first time I watched this film. Did some research, watched the first 30 minutes again and realized it was exactly what I thought it was. With that, I'm still a bit ambivalent. A character driven film revolving around prohibition, organized crime and the notion of loyalty. In hindsight, liked it more than not. Looking forward to seeing it again as I feel I will appreciate the nuances more the next time. As actors go, Bryne (Reagan) and Harden (Verna) are an acquired taste and I don't believe I have acquired that taste as of yet. Many of the other characters are quite enjoyable however including Leo (Finney), Caspar (Polito), Bernie (Turturro), and Frankie (Starr). A couple flaws I picked up on were annoying.
May 3, 2016
A Coen Brothers classic about an old-school gang war. The best Neo-Noire movie in the past 30 years.