Mister Buddwing Reviews

• Jan 22, 2021

JWell acted, but just too damned depressing for words!

JWell acted, but just too damned depressing for words!

Aldo G Super Reviewer
    Jan 18, 2021

Leading actor James Garner said this about the movie, "I'd summarize the plot but to this day I have no clue what it is. Worst picture I ever made." This, though, isn't as bad a picture as Garner thinks and that's because performances from the supporting cast and cinematography are commendable. But, this psychological drama meanders too much.

• Jun 08, 2020

Some of the low-budget drama films that MGM made during the mid 60's are masterpieces and this is one of them! Its just so ahead of its time in many ways. Real-life problems are presented in the movie such as unwanted pregnancies, suicide, and abortion (something that any hays code area movie wouldn't dare mention). The cinematography is beautiful!

• Mar 11, 2020

Although this quite an odd film, I liked the performances. I'm familiar with probably fifteen in the cast. I especially liked that someone chose to film it in black and white. Very nice cinematography, along with a pretty good music score.

• Sep 01, 2018

The movie doesn't quite hold together, but it's fascinating nevertheless.

The movie doesn't quite hold together, but it's fascinating nevertheless.

• Jan 31, 2018

A novel idea, well developed with a spectacular cast.

A novel idea, well developed with a spectacular cast.

• Jun 09, 2016

the cinematography was in the "hip" 60's style. a man trying to find his memory. James Garner gave a good performance. all the beautiful women he pursued - inadvertently - were more than willing to help him. it was interesting. there were good things. he gave a great performance. the Americanization of Emily remains his very best romance.

• Oct 24, 2014

This is one weird little movie. Hitchcock-esq. absent Hitchcock's talent. You can't stop watching it though. The story and the characters do keep you engaged.

• Oct 19, 2013

Interesting James Garner vehicle has him playing an amnesiac who wakes up in Central Park and doesn't remember who he is and spends the rest of the film trying to figure that out. He has a series of dreamlike encounters with various women who he thinks he recognizes, but who mostly don't recognize him, including Jean Simmons, Suzanne Pleshette, Katharine Ross, and Angela Lansbury. Directed by Delbert Mann ("Marty"), it's stylishly shot and features crisp black and white photogrpahy by Ellsworth Fredericks ("Seven Days in May"), but the film is so utterly pretentious and lacking in a coherent narrative. Garner and the strong cast, which also includes Jack Gilford, Raymond St. Jacques, Wesley Addy, and a pre-Star Trek Nichelle Nichols, are the only thing that keeps this pretentious mess watchable. On the positive side, there is also a nice jazzy score by Kenyon Hopkins ("The Hustler" and "The Fugitive Kind"). Also, the 1960s Mad Men-era New York is pretty fun. In his memoir "The Garner Files," Garner rated this as his worst movie, writing "I'd summarize the plot, but to this day, I have no clue what it is. Worst picture I ever made. What where they thinking? What was I thinking?" Garner may be a bit too hard on this film, because it's well produced from a technical standpoint and the cast is great, even if the script is an utter mess.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Aug 07, 2011

Interesting failure tries for the profound but comes up short. Wastes three great actresses, Jean Simmons, Suzanne Pleshette and Angela Lansbury, although they all give very good performances.