Mozart and the Whale - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mozart and the Whale Reviews

July 29, 2016
I thought it was great.
November 30, 2014
Mozart and the Whale is a cute flick with a poignant framework.
November 3, 2014
The story of my early 20s only with less booze, more animals, self aware characters and a happy ending.
June 22, 2014
I really enjoyed this movie. It's one of the best autistic movies since Adam, Rain Man, and Fly Away. Writer Ronald Bass really did his research on Asperger's syndrome since it's inspired by a true story. I found Mozart and the Whale to be bittersweet, touching, and realistic with a happy ending that proves that anything is possible. This romantic dramedy is something I highly recommend.
June 22, 2014
May 9, 2014
I loved this movie.
Both actors played their parts really well.
Some parts were super awkward though.
But a good movie altogether.
December 25, 2013
Generic yawn-fest of a "love" story that perpetuates misinformed stereotypes of savantism among people with autism / asperger's to an even greater degree than Rain Man. Avoid.
September 15, 2013
It's merely a demonstration of human experience, because there's more than meets the eye in that film. A flagrant exposure of social behaviors disguising in a melodramatic theatrical artwork portraying eager biographies for interpretation is the main focus of the film. The script, as a two-lines conversation, falsifies the audiences' lore of quotations. Josh's performance has jeopardized the character in several scenes, still his famous facial abilities ought to be praised throughout the film.
½ July 4, 2013
Enjoyable small indie film - good date movie-
June 8, 2013
Sweet, heartbreaking and inspiring all at once!
May 17, 2013
a feel good movie about a two people with aspergers.
February 4, 2013
What a great movie...so many elements of myself in this "crazy" cast of characters. I fell in love with the female lead, of course, as she is so engaging and full of life.
February 4, 2013
While lagging in tempo, cinematography and overall direction at times, the film accurately captured some of the intricacies of life with autistic exaggeration.
December 18, 2012
As a person with asperger's syndrome, I found this to be very annoying. Having several characters with asperger's, there should have been a great deal more diversity of the spectrum. It was like they read a medical website's definition of asperger's, but made no attempt to find out what it was really like. Any explanation of facts about asperger's felt very forced.
DrStrangeblog
December 17, 2012
Illuminating love story between two people with Ausperger's sydrome. Like many autistics, Izzy and Donald live in their own worlds while still having to cope with living in the world at large. Donald (Josh Harnett, indistinguishable from Ethan Hawke here) desperately wants to fit in with society and appear "normal" while Isabella (an exuberant Radha Mitchell) demands that she be accepted for who she is, wild mood swings and all. Obviously a very personal project for director Petter Naess, Izzy and Donald and their many autistic friends are never a source for ridicule, and the film particularly succeeds by communicating their daily challenges at both creating relationships and leading productive lives without resorting to sappy melodrama. The genial tone is more often an upper than a downer, these are simply people who are wired differently and sometimes need extra patience and understanding. Hartnett and Mitchell are fully convincing as these characters, and John Carroll Lynch (best known as Drew's transvestite brother from The Drew Carey Show) does a good job as Harnett's friend with skill at dispensing savvy relationship advice.
December 13, 2012
Sappy saccharine crap..The kind you see on Lifetime.
½ October 25, 2012
oddly and interestly sweet love story. pretty good movie.
½ July 14, 2012
An interesting perspective on the lives of autistic Americans. The acting ability was unbelievably good.
½ July 1, 2012
I am no expert on Asperger's, but this is a very well done movie. This movie isn't about mozart or a whale but rather 2 people who happen to have Asperger's. Acting was great from the two lead roles, in particular from Donald played by Josh Hartnett. My only complaint was how it was slightly choppy at times, where time passed and we kinda had to figure that out. Well worth your time. 87 of 100.
½ June 25, 2012
Hartnett actually shines in this one.