Mr. & Mrs. Bridge Reviews

• May 31, 2015

James Ivory's film appeared to be bit too realistic for the audience that it was initially marketed to. It is not a typical James Ivory film. Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward give some of their finest work here. In many ways the film is about time as much as it is about marriage. We follow a middle class marriage over a span of time in which each must learn how to adapt to and with the changes in culture and society. The biggest challenge is regarding their children. As time moves forward Mr. & Mrs. Bridge move forward with it. But it is never easy for either of them. For whatever mysterious reason they love each other deeply. I use the term "mysterious" because over the course of time we glimpse into their lives, their connection to each other feels a bit shaky. I suspect the reason it feels somewhat "mysterious" is in the way film approaches it subject. There is a distance between Mr. & Mrs. Bridge, but it is familiar. And as their understanding of the world changes around them constantly, there is one constant that each of them can count on: each other. Yet it remains sadly detached -- even more sad, it feels familiar. It remains a vibrant, beautiful, realistic and sad study of a marriage.

• Sep 09, 2014

Good performances working from a solid, if forgettable, script.

Good performances working from a solid, if forgettable, script.

John B Super Reviewer
    Jan 07, 2014

Here is the Hollywood couple that defy typical Hollywood relationships - Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward. It is a slowly evolving story but the performances of the two leads keep it interesting.

• Mar 10, 2013

A narrative covering the lives of the Bridge family, in particular the relationship of the parents. It had its moments, but was a little far fetched when it came to their children who always seemed to push the extremes. It shows the plight of the house wife of this period, but yet manages to show the relationship's strengths and weaknesses. It throws some strong symbolism in at the end when she is stuck in her car only to be saved by her husband and nothing changes. Much like her life in general. I enjoyed their characters because it seems I have met people like them.

• Dec 02, 2012

A little gem of a movie. Of course, it can't be bad with Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.

• Dec 02, 2012

• Aug 12, 2012

I'm a huge Merchant / Ivory fan. I'm also a Newman / Woodward fan. This is a beautiful and subtle film, with Joanne Woodward's character isolated and frozen by a cold and formal relationship with her husband (Paul Newman) and an albeit non-existent and distant relationship with her adult children. A 30's / 40's American period piece very well done by the kings of the period piece genre, and artfully portrayed by Newman and Woodward. If you love other Ivory Merchant projects as much as I do then you will love this. I will tell you this film takes it time. The pace is gentle and deliberate, and devoid of CGI or overt sexuality. It is a character study and it deftly captures a slice of 20th century Americana. I give this four of five stars.

• Jan 21, 2011

One of the most overlooked films of the 90's from Ivory-Merchant. Wonderful performances throughout.

• Apr 09, 2010

Beautifully shot movie from Merchant-Ivory. Kinda slow, but great performances by the real-life couple Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Sep 24, 2009

The Newmans acquit themselves well here especially Joanne Woodward but it all moves just a little too slow and several of the characters in particular their son are impossible to warm to.