Mr. Turner - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Turner Reviews

½ August 18, 2018
It's very nicely worked out, a tad lengthy but I didn't mind that.
August 2, 2018
An exploration of the last quarter century of the great, if eccentric, British painter J.M.W. Turner's life.I wanted to see this film since I saw the trailer sometime back in 2014 and then I finally got to it yesterday. This is one of these films that are rreeeeeaaaly good but you only need to watch them once. Enjoy ... I did
½ March 29, 2018
This film goes distance in revealing the master painter Turner, England's best. Nice to discover how the fellow was. Scruff but witty and not francophobe like the common english. Refreshing film!
½ January 18, 2018
Mike Leigh's film about famous British Painter J.M.W. Turner is an inquisitive and unique bio-pic. Rather than concentrating on a typical narrative arc, Mr. Turner plays more like a series of important episodes in the subject's life, all while presented with utmost class and majesty. Leigh paints every shot as if it were a painting rendered by J.M.W. Turner himself, simultaneously directing scenes that capture the humor, eccentricity and passion of the man (brilliantly played by Timothy Spall). At two-and-a-half hours it is admittedly a bit long, but Mike Leigh continues to be England's premiere art house director, and this latest work may be his most spellbinding yet.
½ November 29, 2017
Make no mistake, Mike Leigh is a master at filmmaking, but besides crafting a gorgeous movie, 'Mr. Turner' will frustrate more than it will fulfill. Timothy Spall plays Turner in a roll Nick Cage would salivate over. He does little more than grunt. It's distracting that his father is played in this movie by someone who looks about the same age. Unfortunately, it's about an hour too long. Did anything get cut here? Plus, this biopic doesn't have much of a screenplay. Final Score: 4.6/10
October 15, 2017
Reviewed 8.1.17. Sure, it looks beautiful, but it is an absolute bore. It captures a moment in time in great detail, then pretentiously assumes that's all that's needed. Like an attractive date with nothing to say. I also viewed a 'making of' and was indeed impressed by how much effort was put into every physical detail. I only wish some of that time was used to write a script that had something to say. Instead we get 2 1/2 hours of a self-obsessed slovenly curmudgeon wandering from dull to monotonous conversations. At the very least, I would have appreciated learning something about painting, but instead suffered through long exchanges about gooseberries, and other such Georgian/Victorian foibles. All that effort, and yet a painting of his contains more interest than the totality of this film. One star for the radiant cinematography.
½ July 26, 2017
Beautifully shot and acted by Timothy Spall but slightly lacks something to take into the next league.
½ June 5, 2017
Spall shows why he's such a fine actor but his performance can't rescue this film from sheer tedium. Stylishly made but the plot just isn't there and the film just lumbers forward at a deathly slow pace.
April 29, 2017
A slow epic, but beautiful and well acted.
½ March 31, 2017
Quite an underwhelming movie. Think they could have done a good job with making it a bit more exciting and fun. Lots of dull moments .
½ March 7, 2017
Excellent looking period drama with Timothy Spall putting in a superb, characterful performance of one of Britain's most celebrated painters.
February 15, 2017
A peculiarity. Stunning cinematography. Messy narrative leaving an unsatisfactory feeling of a work nowhere near complete.
February 7, 2017
Timothy Spall is outstanding in his characterisation of Turner.
January 30, 2017
It's a film for art lovers for it portrays the life of Turner vividly, but a disaster comparing with other films of Mike Leigh.
½ January 28, 2017
A tad overlong at 150 minutes, but warmly lit throughout by some good acting and beautiful cinematography.
January 15, 2017
British/French production exploring the life (well last 25 years or so) of some British painter J.M.W. Turner who is apparently well known in art circles. Not in mine.
At a whopping two and a half hour length it is a bit of an effort but not a bad film. It has high production values and a great central performance from Timothy Spall as Turner complete with his slobby lifestyle eccentricity as well as artistic genius displayed on screen. In one scene he is strapped to the mast of a ship so he can paint a storm causing bronchitis in the process.
I mean high production values in terms of keeping with the period (early to mid nineteenth century).
Spall has certainly come a long way from his role as Brummie Barry in the television series Auf Wiedersehn Pet in the 1980s.
The cast is well..unknown besides Spall.
The art direction and production design is top notch.
It was filmed around the UK including such locations as Wentworth Woodhouse in South Yorkshire.
½ January 5, 2017
A biopic that doesn't pander.
November 25, 2016
Very weird and creepy. Mr turner was a rude perverted man
November 19, 2016
Although it is very unlikely that I would rewatch this movie again, I gotta say "Mr. Turner" is a terrific biopic. Timothy Spall is fantastic and the cinematography is so stunning that it makes you feel like every shot is a piece of painting. Hats off to Mike Leigh because this is a gorgeously directed film. It's a little too long, but I found the overall story fascinating.
October 28, 2016
Long, slow and with accents you wish you'd never experienced. Bored me silly. Nice Cinematography though.