The Muppet Movie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Muppet Movie Reviews

September 22, 2016
I really don't think anything could ever beat the original. While the Jason Siegel film is quite entertaining, the genuine Jim Henson Muppets films have the true Muppet material that fan love.
½ September 18, 2016
As fantastic as ever!
July 25, 2016
Unfortunately this classic hasn't dated well
June 9, 2016
Incredibly appealing. A great composition of music and comedy starring the iconic Muppets in their first feature film.
April 21, 2016
Still the best rendition of the muppets you could watch!
March 20, 2016
This is how kermit the frog started getting a team together.

I thought it was not the best movie because Kerment did not have his whole team together but I new that there has to be a start to this movie to make more muppet movies. So I did not find it very entertaining. There were a couple things I did like in this movie I like that Kermit is singing and he's using a banjo I like the scenery of where he lives. But other than that it was not great for me. But other people such as kids might like this movie so have them give it a try
October 4, 2015
How can you not fall in love with the Muppets after watching this movie?! It's a great, fun little "origin story" for them with wacky characters and great music. If you are looking for something more, try Hare Krishna.
September 7, 2015
Road movie with the Muppets, whats not to like?
September 6, 2015
Featuring state of the art cameos,jokes,and songs. The Muppet Movie is deserved the name, Classic. Review by Logan Cornn.
August 17, 2015
A hilarious family comedy for all ages! Highly recommended for anybody, especially fans of Jim Henson and The Muppets!
August 14, 2015
This is just overall great. It has great songs and funny jokes. It is memorable and very cute.
½ June 30, 2015
Great Muppet Movie is a great family movie night! Ages 7+
May 21, 2015
Cute enough to be entertaining to kids, but not enough consistent adult humor to make it worthwhile. The plot is fine, but too many scenarios occur that don't progress the plot.
½ May 16, 2015
"Life's like a movie. Write your own ending. Keep Believing. Keep Pretending"
- Jim Henson

Do not judge this film by the title. This is not strictly a children's movie. This is a film that has a message for all of those who have a dream to achieve.

The film is a movie within a movie, with all of the muppets attending a screening of a movie that tells how they all met and became a family. The actual movie begins with Kermit in a swamp singing what would become one of the iconic songs ever created, "The Rainbow Connection". When the song ends, an agent named Bernie comes in a boat explaining to Kermit that he is able to reach his dream, which is "singing, dancing, and making millions of people happy" by traveling to Hollywood, Los Angeles. Along the way, he meets an entrepreneur named Doc Hopper, and his assistant Max, who wants to convince Kermit to become the new spokesman of his French-fried frog legs restaurant. Kermit refuses, and as the film goes on, Hopper increasingly becomes more aggressive to make Kermit become part of the struggling restaurant.

As Kermit makes his journey to Los Angeles, he meets Fozzie Bear, a jolly bear who struggles as a stand-up comedian in a sleazy bar. Feeling sorry for him, Kermit invites Fozzie to come with him along the ride and they soon experience misadventures where they meet the rest of the muppet characters, including Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, their manager Scooter and their pet Animal, The Great Gonzo and his girlfriend Camilla the Chicken, Sweetums, Rowlf the Dog, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew and his assistant Beaker, and Miss Piggy, who would become Kermit's love interest, and chaos soon ensues while also doing everything they possibly can to avoid Doc Hopper.

These characters become so believable and lovable that you actually begin to feel for them as the film goes on. And by the time comes when the muppets finally arrive at Hollywood and are hired by studio executive Lew Lord, you will end up cheering for Kermit when he realizes that he had finally achieved his dream and developed a new family at the same time.

What makes this film so significant is the inspiring story, music, and the development of these "puppet" characters. At first the all consider each other as just "weird", but as they move along in their journey, they all put their differences aside and learn about each other, developing as a colorful family, and Kermit finding the "Rainbow Connection".

Out of all the muppet films, I can honestly say that this is the film that truly has the perfect balance of comedy along with heart and charm. Furthermore, the way the characters are portrayed in this film is very strong and actually allows them to connect with the audience, and with Paul Williams' beautiful score, the emotional core goes above and beyond, especially during the grand finale.

In short, 'The Muppet Movie' is a great film that represents the Muppets at their greatest with great humor and a lot of heart.
½ May 13, 2015
83% on my Tomatometer.
May 9, 2015
This is basically the perfect movie. The perfect balance of ridiculous humor and sincere heart. The perfect score, and the perfect songs. I also believe this movie gives the simplest and most perfect answer to the question, "What's the meaning of life?" In Kermit's words (and Jim Henson's voice), "To make people happy." The movie itself succeeds in this. And while I've never really gotten over the loss of Jim Henson, him and his creations still make me happy, so he continues to succeed in life more so than many others.
April 15, 2015
Always puts me in a great mood to watch this. I'm a Muppet mark!
Mark H.
March 11, 2015
Many Muppet movies have come and gone since the 1979 original, but none come close to capturing the magic of the Muppets like The Muppet Movie. Good script, good songs, fun scenes and cameos, and genuinely tender moments performed with such skill and care that we often forget we are watching hand puppets and not real, living creatures. And who can forget Kermit singing The Rainbow Connection on his log (in a first-ever full-body shot made possible by submerging an obviously committed Jim Henson in a waterproof box under water)? That song should have taken the Oscar for best song. All the magic and joy Jim Henson infused into his life's work, the Muppets, is all on screen in this fantastic road movie.