Muriel's Wedding - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Muriel's Wedding Reviews

August 15, 2016
This is a great feel good kinda movie. Toni is fantastic in it. "You're terrible Muriel!"
July 31, 2016
Daft, bizarre and full of completely unlikeable characters all being nasty to each other. There's a good soundtrack and the movie turns it around at the end, but the first hour or so are hard going.
May 15, 2016
Brilliant character study, with comic and poignant moments of a dysfunctional family, and how Muriel breaks out and finds herself, and we find us on the way too, while enjoying the ride.
To the parts of us that struggle and fail miserably, this is a hilarious antidote - drink it in, laugh, reconsider things, and enjoy this journey. Muriel shows that its perception that needs to change, not just self-loathing.

5 out of 5 coconut cocktails
April 17, 2016
This wasn't exactly the fun, lighthearted rom-com I was expecting. None of the characters are likable and the story just gets more depressing as it goes along.
April 14, 2016
Delightfully quirky and you never know where it's going. Right up my alley.
January 15, 2016
and old time Favorite! in my collection obviosly ?
½ January 7, 2016
Plenty of laughs, ABBA songs and Aussie one-liners.
½ November 28, 2015
re watched recently and really enjoyed, It "held up".
October 14, 2015
Sad movie. The poor girl reminds me of an old friend from school that lived a few house's down from me.
September 26, 2015
I was expecting a fun ABBA filled movie. A little bit of ABBA, but the movie was weird, depressing, sad, and bizarre. Other than the totally hot Olympian swimmer, there was not one bright spot or enjoyable minute in this movie.
September 11, 2015
A romantic comedy less about finding true love, and more about hopelessly waiting for it to fall into your lap. Toni Collette's sympathetic, yet likable character and the ABBA soundtrack are especially sweet.
½ August 22, 2015
Another ugly, campy Australian film. Fun at first but takes a turn for a bit too depressing and a bit too dull.
½ June 17, 2015
Operating as a joyous celebration of the weird and the unappreciated while simultaneously dismantling the sexist ideals women have been conditioned to prioritize over their own self-worth, "Muriel's Wedding" is a charming success, in large part due to a wonderful lead performance from Toni Collette.
June 17, 2015
The perfect mix of comedy and drama.
½ April 23, 2015
Toni Collette plays a woman with a coupla niggling personal defects that're overblown by her own consciousness until she's nearly paralyzed: us. The piece charts her arc from her personal dreamland of ache into a reality that's dealable with serio-comic poetry, and ABBA provides the soundtrack. Pretty darn good. Rachel Griffiths (one of my favs) plays the buddy everyone would love to buddy with admirably.
½ February 23, 2015
Toni Colette is a delight as the awkward, chubby girl who just wants to be proud of herself for once. The story here is broad at times with cartoonishly evil friends harassing her, but then it gets dark with subplots of cancer, suicide and a marriage of convenience. While the overall tone is uneven, I still loved the message at the end; Be good to people who are good to you, and don't waste time proving your worth to the haters. Also: You can't fight the power of ABBA.
February 11, 2015
It's laboriously quirky, but career-launching performances by Toni Collette and Rachel Griffiths make Muriel's Wedding work.
January 29, 2015
Toni Collette's performance and a brilliant script make this quirky comedy a brilliant one. Full review later.
½ January 3, 2015
A dark comedy with a heart. Toni Collette gives the performance of her career as an outcast searching for for recognition. This film walks a very fine line between humor and grief.