Muriel's Wedding - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Muriel's Wedding Reviews

March 2, 2018
Not sure how to give zero stars, but that would surely be my score. This movie is horrible...the more it progresses, the more it causes blood boiling and depression at such stupid and selfish characters. Starting with Muriel, a very stupid, immature woman living in her little fantasy world of getting married to prove her so called friends wrong. In the end, she doesn't really prove anything because all her means were false. I hated how the poor sweet mother was taken advantage of and in the end there is nothing remotely endearing about this story or the characters. Total rubbish
February 24, 2018
Australian quirky, feel good chick flick. Showing he oddities of porpoise spit and the dynamics of the women from down under. 1001 movies to see before you die.
December 26, 2017
1994 Australia production that focuses on the character of Muriel Heslop (Toni Collette), a young outcast from a sleepy coastal town.
Muriel is mocked by so called friends and a domineering father that is the archetypal Australian character.
The film follows Muriel as she is gains confidence after moving to the big City independence of Sydney and life with Rhonda Epinstalk (Rachel Griffiths).
Muriel changes her name to Mariel and escapes the negative mental impact of her past life whilst dreaming of a white wedding.
She gets her wish in an unorthodox manner as she marries a South African swimmer in a marriage of convenience in order that the South African can compete for Australia.
The movie features an Abba filled soundtrack however it avoids washed out actors embarrassing themselves attempting to sing!
The film is a reminder of how good Australia is to visit if anything else as well as a romantic comedy vehicle.
½ August 21, 2017
You must be in the mood for long and never ending.
It's a cute story, a young woman trying to find herself.
Her dad ( very well acted) his character is a big mouth politician, who yells put downs at his kids, of which Murial is one.
July 30, 2017
Seen this many times over the years and always loved it. This was the perfect role for Toni Collette. I don't think anyone else could have played the part so well.
I was in my 20's when I first saw this and I related to Muriel so much with her self loathing and wanting to be more than she was (not so much the Abba and wedding obsession). The bitchy girl group were familiar and the hot air father. Think we've all met people like those characters. I can remember shedding a few tears in the cinema when I first saw it at a section where Muriel is especially down on herself.
What I didn't quite get at the time was how tragic her mother was. Rewatching in my 40's, her character really stood out this time around. The despair and hopelessness of her life. Because she plays it understated and the other characters were larger, I missed it the first five or so times I saw it. Of course I always thought Bill was a pig and Diedre was... well, pretty much suited to him, honestly, and I always felt a bit sorry for poor Betty... but I didn't appreciate how checked out that poor woman actually was.
This movie is quite an achievement. It's definitely a comedy, but it has so much else going on in it too. Really one of the better Australian movies.
June 19, 2017
AACTA
A classic Australian film.
May 4, 2017
I don't understand the appeal. It's a movie full of selfish and shallow characters. There are some very unnecessary inappropriate moments. Everything about it was just pitiful. (First and only viewing - 5/28/2014)
April 25, 2017
depressing. unfunny. I feel bad for the mom
August 15, 2016
This is a great feel good kinda movie. Toni is fantastic in it. "You're terrible Muriel!"
July 31, 2016
Daft, bizarre and full of completely unlikeable characters all being nasty to each other. There's a good soundtrack and the movie turns it around at the end, but the first hour or so are hard going.
May 15, 2016
Brilliant character study, with comic and poignant moments of a dysfunctional family, and how Muriel breaks out and finds herself, and we find us on the way too, while enjoying the ride.
To the parts of us that struggle and fail miserably, this is a hilarious antidote - drink it in, laugh, reconsider things, and enjoy this journey. Muriel shows that its perception that needs to change, not just self-loathing.

5 out of 5 coconut cocktails
April 17, 2016
This wasn't exactly the fun, lighthearted rom-com I was expecting. None of the characters are likable and the story just gets more depressing as it goes along.
April 14, 2016
Delightfully quirky and you never know where it's going. Right up my alley.
January 15, 2016
and old time Favorite! in my collection obviosly ?
½ January 7, 2016
Plenty of laughs, ABBA songs and Aussie one-liners.
½ November 28, 2015
re watched recently and really enjoyed, It "held up".
October 14, 2015
Sad movie. The poor girl reminds me of an old friend from school that lived a few house's down from me.
September 26, 2015
I was expecting a fun ABBA filled movie. A little bit of ABBA, but the movie was weird, depressing, sad, and bizarre. Other than the totally hot Olympian swimmer, there was not one bright spot or enjoyable minute in this movie.