Muriel's Wedding - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Muriel's Wedding Reviews

½ August 21, 2017
You must be in the mood for long and never ending.
It's a cute story, a young woman trying to find herself.
Her dad ( very well acted) his character is a big mouth politician, who yells put downs at his kids, of which Murial is one.
July 30, 2017
Seen this many times over the years and always loved it. This was the perfect role for Toni Collette. I don't think anyone else could have played the part so well.
I was in my 20's when I first saw this and I related to Muriel so much with her self loathing and wanting to be more than she was (not so much the Abba and wedding obsession). The bitchy girl group were familiar and the hot air father. Think we've all met people like those characters. I can remember shedding a few tears in the cinema when I first saw it at a section where Muriel is especially down on herself.
What I didn't quite get at the time was how tragic her mother was. Rewatching in my 40's, her character really stood out this time around. The despair and hopelessness of her life. Because she plays it understated and the other characters were larger, I missed it the first five or so times I saw it. Of course I always thought Bill was a pig and Diedre was... well, pretty much suited to him, honestly, and I always felt a bit sorry for poor Betty... but I didn't appreciate how checked out that poor woman actually was.
This movie is quite an achievement. It's definitely a comedy, but it has so much else going on in it too. Really one of the better Australian movies.
June 19, 2017
AACTA
A classic Australian film.
May 4, 2017
I don't understand the appeal. It's a movie full of selfish and shallow characters. There are some very unnecessary inappropriate moments. Everything about it was just pitiful. (First and only viewing - 5/28/2014)
April 25, 2017
depressing. unfunny. I feel bad for the mom
August 15, 2016
This is a great feel good kinda movie. Toni is fantastic in it. "You're terrible Muriel!"
July 31, 2016
Daft, bizarre and full of completely unlikeable characters all being nasty to each other. There's a good soundtrack and the movie turns it around at the end, but the first hour or so are hard going.
May 15, 2016
Brilliant character study, with comic and poignant moments of a dysfunctional family, and how Muriel breaks out and finds herself, and we find us on the way too, while enjoying the ride.
To the parts of us that struggle and fail miserably, this is a hilarious antidote - drink it in, laugh, reconsider things, and enjoy this journey. Muriel shows that its perception that needs to change, not just self-loathing.

5 out of 5 coconut cocktails
April 17, 2016
This wasn't exactly the fun, lighthearted rom-com I was expecting. None of the characters are likable and the story just gets more depressing as it goes along.
April 14, 2016
Delightfully quirky and you never know where it's going. Right up my alley.
January 15, 2016
and old time Favorite! in my collection obviosly ?
½ January 7, 2016
Plenty of laughs, ABBA songs and Aussie one-liners.
½ November 28, 2015
re watched recently and really enjoyed, It "held up".
October 14, 2015
Sad movie. The poor girl reminds me of an old friend from school that lived a few house's down from me.
September 26, 2015
I was expecting a fun ABBA filled movie. A little bit of ABBA, but the movie was weird, depressing, sad, and bizarre. Other than the totally hot Olympian swimmer, there was not one bright spot or enjoyable minute in this movie.
September 11, 2015
A romantic comedy less about finding true love, and more about hopelessly waiting for it to fall into your lap. Toni Collette's sympathetic, yet likable character and the ABBA soundtrack are especially sweet.
½ August 22, 2015
Another ugly, campy Australian film. Fun at first but takes a turn for a bit too depressing and a bit too dull.
½ June 17, 2015
Operating as a joyous celebration of the weird and the unappreciated while simultaneously dismantling the sexist ideals women have been conditioned to prioritize over their own self-worth, "Muriel's Wedding" is a charming success, in large part due to a wonderful lead performance from Toni Collette.