Muriel's Wedding Reviews

• Jun 26, 2019

This was one of my favorite movies when I was younger! Toni Collete gives a wonderful performance!

• Jan 30, 2019

Really enjoyed this film. A nice mix of Comedy and some pretty heavy-hitting drama. Definitely an Aussie classic!

• Oct 10, 2018

Delighted to see the title character change grow from a self centered shallow person into a real woman.

• Jun 02, 2018

Sweet movie. Quirky, in a good way.

Sweet movie. Quirky, in a good way.

• May 25, 2018

Muriel’s Wedding is set up like a classic romantic comedy. It establishes the downtrodden main character (played perfectly by Toni Collette) who lacks self-confidence, but dreams of her own wedding day. Then it shows her making questionable choices to get out of her situation, but instead she gets knocked down even more. This is about the time in the romantic comedy when the selfless man swoops in and saves her, but instead we get Rachel Griffiths. It is a friend who gives her the self-confidence she needs, not a traditional love interest. The interplay between Collette and Griffiths is magical, because you can see the genuine affection they have for one another. I still kept expecting that this movie was going to turn back to something more traditional, but it never does. Instead, Muriel’s Wedding is a delightful little exploration of what real love is like and how it differs from what we see in the movies or on TV. Muriel doesn’t need a man to save her, and that makes this movie from 1994 more progressive than many other movies in this genre. I also like listening to all the ABBA music, so that’s a big plus as well. My one frustration with the film is all the family drama that Muriel struggles with. It dragged down the story some, in my opinion, and I wanted less attention on that aspect than on Muriel’s journey. That being said, Muriel’s Wedding is a sweet film, and one that I’m glad I finally got around to seeing.

• Mar 02, 2018

Not sure how to give zero stars, but that would surely be my score. This movie is horrible...the more it progresses, the more it causes blood boiling and depression at such stupid and selfish characters. Starting with Muriel, a very stupid, immature woman living in her little fantasy world of getting married to prove her so called friends wrong. In the end, she doesn't really prove anything because all her means were false. I hated how the poor sweet mother was taken advantage of and in the end there is nothing remotely endearing about this story or the characters. Total rubbish

• Dec 26, 2017

1994 Australia production that focuses on the character of Muriel Heslop (Toni Collette), a young outcast from a sleepy coastal town. Muriel is mocked by so called friends and a domineering father that is the archetypal Australian character. The film follows Muriel as she is gains confidence after moving to the big City independence of Sydney and life with Rhonda Epinstalk (Rachel Griffiths). Muriel changes her name to Mariel and escapes the negative mental impact of her past life whilst dreaming of a white wedding. She gets her wish in an unorthodox manner as she marries a South African swimmer in a marriage of convenience in order that the South African can compete for Australia. The movie features an Abba filled soundtrack however it avoids washed out actors embarrassing themselves attempting to sing! The film is a reminder of how good Australia is to visit if anything else as well as a romantic comedy vehicle.

• Aug 21, 2017

You must be in the mood for long and never ending. It's a cute story, a young woman trying to find herself. Her dad ( very well acted) his character is a big mouth politician, who yells put downs at his kids, of which Murial is one.

• Jul 26, 2017

• May 26, 2017

Muriel's Wedding is a 1994 Australian comedy-drama film written and directed by P. J. Hogan. A classic Australian film. GGNC AACTAW 1001