My Fair Lady Reviews

• Oct 09, 2020

I love this movie. It is one of my absolute favourite movies!

I love this movie. It is one of my absolute favourite movies!

• Oct 04, 2020

If I had to choose between this movie and Mary Poppins, 1964's other prominent musical, which would I consider better? The latter, because oh how darn fun and magical it is. I'm not calling My Fair Lady a bad movie. Far from it. It's funny, the songs are memorable, the characters are enjoyable, the performances are great. So why do I find it relatively overrated? While the "values dissonance" YMMV trope is obviously an issue, I was never truly blown away by it. Perhaps it's the lack of flashy choreography to distract me from the obvious sets, as though it was based off of a play or something. Or maybe I found the story to be an excuse to sing songs and engage in comedic hijinks. Not sure. This IS a good movie but I unfortunately can't bring myself to avoid calling this movie "overrated". But just remember, using that word does not mean it is a bad movie. Just not the epic "Citizen Kane" of live-action musicals some were making it out to be.

• Sep 17, 2020

I thought Audrey Hepburn was fantastic in this, but, I really didn't enjoy the story about trying to fit into a snooty upper-class society

• Jul 23, 2020

You have a movie, based on a musical, based on a play, based on a Greek figure from Ovid's Metamorphoses. Professor Henry Higgins (Rex Harrison) is a misogynistic linguistics tutor who uses the terribly cockney-accented flower girl Eliza Doolittle (Audrey Hepburn) to sculpt a sophisticated, upper-class lady. She eventually grows understandably unhappy and calls out on him for taking advantage of her. George Bernard Shaw appropriated the Pygmalion myth and crafted it as a witty satire of high and low social classes in Victorian England. Despite the disapproval of Shaw and after his death, the play was turned into a musical on Broadway in 1956 with music and lyrics created by Frederick Loewe and Alan Jay Lerner. Eight years later, Warner Brothers bought the rights to the musical, recruited George Cukor to direct, casted one half of the original two starlets of the Broadway show and released one of their great films. The songs are terrific, with each one having a distinct rhythm, from waltz in "Show Me" to an upbeat tango in "The Rain in Spain" to formal march in "Just You Wait". The meek, but feisty Hepburn compliments greatly with stubborn, but flawed Harrison. I admire her for determination and prowess to get her point across as well as fight against her mistreatment. As far as I'm concerned My Fair Lady is probably the best musical based on a Greek fable ever made. (5 Dovers with Bloomin' Arses out of 5)

• Jul 18, 2020

Besides some bad decisions on when and how to dub the actors it might be one of the greatest musicals of all time.

• Jul 03, 2020

George Cukor's adaptation of My Fair Lady never loses the geniality of the stage, while adding new layers of grace and pathos to its characters.

• Jun 21, 2020

AFI 100 Greatest Films - #91: Sometimes when watching older, well known films for the first time they can still come off cliche because I have already seen so much of the derivative work that has followed as a result of it. Although the run time was quite long the two leads shine and the colorful costumes and grandly textured set designs add much to this film. While not necessarily my cup of tea, I can still definitely respect why it is loved by so many.

• May 20, 2020

For some reason, many people think that the great musicals must feature commentaries on life or happiness in some direct and "uncontaminated" manner, like Frank Capra put to a tune. My Fair Lady proves that this isn't so, taking a well-developed and touching but objectively dry (the narrative hinges on speech therapy and isn't exactly comedy-dense) piece of original material such as Pygmalion and transforming it completely. The musical accompaniment is not always integrated to the greatest degree, but is pervasively raucous and joyous; both the songs and dialogue are given life through excellent performances by Hepburn, Harrison, and an underrated Holloway. (4.5/5)

• May 18, 2020

Watching My Fair Lady reminded me why Audrey Hepburn is a national treasure. Plus, Rex Harrison as Henry Higgins is delightfully despicable. This film runs a little long and my kids were a little bored by it, but there's still an enduring charm to this tale. The songs are playful and memorable, while the story is surprisingly emotionally complex. Wouldn't it be loverly if there were more musicals like this one?

• May 08, 2020

Some good songs including i could have danced all night and I am getting married in the morning. Audrey Hepburn is not realistic as the cockney flower girl. She is much better when she is the lady and holds morals over Professor Higgins. The second part of the film is more interesting than the first part. Eliza not knowing her place in the world, like Frankenstein's monster. Higgins is a horrible person not understanding of people and their feelings. He takes all the credit for turning Eliza into a lady but still treats her like dirt. I hated his character and during the film his attitude did grate. Stanley Holloway is the stand out as he has the morals and honesty. He is funny and sounds natural. Rex Harrison won the best actor and I am convinced he didn't deserve it. He plays the arrogant, pompous and manipulative character with gusto, but he is so unlikable and at times very one dimensional. It's a nice contrast from Professor Higgins very dark brown old house to his mothers very white and modern house. Higgins is out of touch and can not see it. Eliza is the blossoming flower who deserves to be treated with respect, The ending disappointed me as Eliza is back in his house. The last line where are my slippers just seems wrong compared to the last 30 minutes.