Mysterians Reviews

• Aug 09, 2020

(American Dub): 4/10

(American Dub): 4/10

• Mar 12, 2016

An interesting science-fiction movie with social commentary about atomic weapons and the cold war, good music and nice special effects, but average acting, editing and dubbing, and some obvious weaknesses in the storyline.

• Oct 30, 2015

This movie was the beginning of my fandom of Godzilla and I still enjoy this movie at 55 years old.

• Jul 07, 2013

Other than its bright, Skittles-colored alien spacesuits and neat retro spaceships, "The Mysterians" is really boring. Aliens flex their advanced technological muscles in an attempt to secure two miles of land and the hand of any Earth women they choose in marriage. An underwhelming and overreaching set of demands to say the least, especially given their most advanced weapon appears to be the robot Mogera who is defeated with minor effort by the military of the puny humans. I think "The Mysterians" wins the award for the movie that put me to sleep the most. I honestly tried getting through this on at least four different occasions before a highly caffeinated effort made try-number five a success. There is really no 'so-bad-it's-good' urging that I can give here. This is a real yawner.

• Jul 01, 2012

Here's a film that's not aged well. It's worth watch out of curiosity but it certainly doesn't hold up compared to say, Godzilla for example. The giant robot looks like it was made out of corrugated boxes and the aliens dress like they are members of the Kamen Rider fan club. The dubbing contains the usual lack of enthusiasm that was displayed in the 50's although someone has spent time on the lip synching. This could have been a fun little B-movie but where it really fails is in the running time. The film just dragged on even though it is under 90 minutes. The fight scenes are so drawn out that they end up as boring rather than exciting and entertaining. Whether the original Japanese language film which is called Chikyu Boeigun (which I think translates as Earth Defenders) is an better I don't know as I've not been able to track it down yet. If I've learned anything from this film though its that capes make good cold weather protection and that 3 men on bicycles do not make an effective fire department.

• Mar 11, 2012

A tad boring, the aliens are alright and Mogera is pretty nice but doesn't appear in the film enough. Not the most interesting story and the climax battle comes right away, but it has some good scenes and is a worthy Japanese sci-fi film.

• Jan 13, 2012

I saw a few Kaiju-Eiga movies on TV as kid, but never got to see a lot of them (my dad didn't care much for them, and he always changed the channel.) By the time I got into high school, my fascination was still present, and then I started borrowing some old Godzilla VHS tapes from my library. Since then I've seen every Godzilla movie from the original series at least once (I own most of them now,) and I have to say that I thoroughly love most of them. For a while, I went on hiatus from watching other Japanese monster movies, but lately I've seen quite a few, and my interest is surging once again. I finally got around to seeing this one, and it's on par with Godzilla, Rodan, Baragon, Gigan, and the gang for sure. It's a really fresh take on the classic UFO-laden science fiction that was hitting American drive-in theaters during the 50's. When random forest fires and landslides begin to occur, things start looking a bit fishy. Local scientists begin pondering what the root of these incidents are, until the giant drill-nosed robot, Moguera shows up and begins wreaking havoc. The robot is soon shown to be property of the Mysterians, natives of the doomed Mysteriod. When important officials come fact to face with these strangers, an ultimatum comes forward: the Mysterians must have a decent foothold on Earth, and they are intent on marrying human females, who will aid them in re-populating their race. This part is pretty damn funny--at least the way they put it, but it holds up fine in my eyes. Like just about every Toho film that was made between the 50's and 70's, I am ready to indulge in something fun and vibrant. I don't care if this movie is "tacky" at all. It appeals to the 6 year old in me, and for me I have a general philosophy--the tackier the movie, the better. I guess movie purists will probably down-grade this type of film, but it does have those period social messages in it (ie. H-Bombs are repeatedly referenced during the movie.) I guess if you're hard-nosed, you may like that, but I personally don't care about that. Movies like this are a lot of fun, and they're great at keeping you in touch with childhood (for me, since I'm a geek.) The look of the Mysterians predates Ultraman and the Power Rangers, and if you look at the special effects, they're actually a step above most Kaiju-Eiga themed movies (the FX budget shouln't even matter.) With Ishir? Honda directing you're going to get a great kaiju movie no matter what. My only qualm with the version I saw is due to the fact that my dvd only has the 2005 re-dub..apparently I can only hear the older dub if I get the video-tape. But, to me, the dubbed dialogue doesn't matter too much..it's the action that's gonna keep my eyes glued. I highly recommend this movie to all fans of Kaiju and older sci-fi!

• Dec 07, 2010

Earns two stars for its unintentional humor. Godzilla and Rodan made sense. This? Enjoy the giant spaceships.

• Aug 12, 2010

Sometimes bogged down by overlong battle sequences, but still easily trumps any US sci-fi of the era. I love it.

• Aug 10, 2010

Very fun visually and in its goofyness. I like how the narrative moves, they don't dwell on boring things and move straight to the next wacky attack on the aliens. Great ending, secret cave randomly leading directly to the alien base, whatever!