National Lampoon's Animal House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

National Lampoon's Animal House Reviews

August 31, 2017
just wow!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 18, 2017
My Favorite Comedy Film Of All Time Is 1933's Duck Soup.
½ August 4, 2017
This film just does not hold up. I can without a doubt believe that at
least up until 1990 this film probably was one of the funniest around,
but once the Robin Williams, the Jim Carreys and Eddie Murphy's broke
out, this film lost it's touch. Credit given to the actors and all the
people who worked on this movie as it probably was one of the very
first films to tackle college life in a comedy setting like this.
Belushi gives an incredible performance and for me is the only
character that kept me in the film. The cafeteria scene is a truly
great piece of film but for me that's as far as it goes.I think that
everyone should at least see this movie once, but I don't think that I
will watch it again anytime soon.
½ July 23, 2017
"National Lampoon's Animal House" is juvenal nonetheless, but often quite funny.
June 18, 2017
Pure fun on adrénaline.
June 8, 2017
A smart, rowdy, over-the-top comedy that has helped pave the way for "school shenanigans" films thanks to the directing chops of John Landis and the comedic timing/goofball antics of John Belushi.
June 6, 2017
Even with dated and offensive jokes throughout, this movie is a classic and very funny comedy. Knowing this was one of the first college/party movies also adds to its acclaim.
June 1, 2017
Listen to Bluto, Flounder he is in Pre-Med
April 19, 2017
Delta Tau Chi is the most anarchic fraternity on the Faber College campus. Its students have the worst grades and the fraternity is often a source of embarrassment to the college. Egged on by a rival fraternity, Dean Vernon Wormer is determined to shut them down. All he needs is an excuse.

Yeah, I know this is regarded as some sort of comedy classic. Hard to see why though. Not that funny, mostly silly and random. Maybe the antics on display were out-there and subversive for 1978 so that explains it. In 2017 it just seems juvenile. Or maybe you have to be younger than 15 to enjoy it...
April 4, 2017
my favorite movie of all time. the lunch scene for me is poetic, Shakespearean in nature to me. For aspiring comedy writer this is the movie to look to.
½ March 18, 2017
Funniest movie I have seen. Pretty risque, but fun and awesome. It makes me excited for college. Really hilarious.
February 16, 2017
The only frat I'd ever want to be in.
½ January 27, 2017
It's pledge night at Faber College, so get ready for some wild crap! We open with freshmen Larry Kroger (Thomas Hulce) and Kent Dorfman (Stephen Furst) trying to get into Omega Theta Pi, a prestigious fraternity that acts with class and dignity. Then they go to Delta Tau Chi after they feel unable to get into Omega, because Kent's a legacy. This is where we get our first taste of the wild college life that was promised, and they deliver: loud music, graffitied walls, and more booze than you could shake a sack of empty booze containers at! The contrast between the two frats in this opening sequence is both obvious and hilarious! You'd think a movie like this would have great characters. They're relatable, but have a character development point average of -4.0. They're never really shown as people, just implied and are mostly there to make spectacles of themselves (I'd use language like theirs, but kids might read this, so I'm gonna keep it clean, but there's some salty language peppered in here and there). You'd also think that such a movie would have an incoherent plot. They pass both the pacing and coherence with a 3.0 average, because they waste no time and you can tell where they were (unless you're supposed to) and the story is simple to follow: guys join debaucherous frat, get in trouble, and have to save their hides and the frat. Their reasons are pretty superficial, but the results are so hilarious, I'll give them a pass (though the last act wouldn't be seen as a fun prank today). Also, you can probably guess the ending because Animal House built the foundation of the overall house of college party movies. Elmer Bernstein's score is hard to hear among the loud rock and jazz songs used throughout, kinda like trying to hear someone at one of the parties. Overall, Animal House is a fun romp stuffed with slapstick comedy and low brow humor that both shocks and delights!
January 25, 2017
A hilarious college comedy. John Belushi is the highlight.
½ January 20, 2017
When you look past its obviously thin script, you can't help but admire the anarchy and absurdity of this film. National Lampoon's Animal House's senseless hysteria and laughs to go along with the enigmatic charm of John Belushi make for a timeless party-themed film that would launch a genre of wild, chaotic party films to come. 3.5/5
January 15, 2017
Animal House may have lost some of its edge since its release and it does have a tendency to be a little aimless. Nevertheless, it remains a wonderful hangout movie with some genuinely funny moments and a cast of very memorable characters (Anybody who took part in Greek life in college knows a Bluto Blutarsky).
½ January 8, 2017
A raunchy comedy that sometimes over does its crude humor
January 2, 2017
With all due respect to the destructive fun of director John Landis and his cast, most notably John Belushi as a shamelessly obscene frat boy to the subject fraternity, they cannot change how poorly too many of its jokes have aged. Great moment: party attendee's folk playing interrupted when Belushi takes guitar and bashes it against wall. Awful moment: half-naked sorority girls have a pillow fight while Belushi watches from outside on a ladder. Landis lives up to the preposterous script by portraying the frat boys as second to terrorists by the final act, which requires that you separate the reality of this movie far away from ours. Even then, it all gets tiresome. Men who sleep around are players, women who sleep around are sluts (unless they are the school dean's wife), snobbish people get their comeuppance via physical injury and eventual rape in prison, fun people succeed and defy our best expectations, yada yada yada. Still, I think they know some of this. The words "homo" and "faggot" are tossed more carefully than you may first think, and there's even a child molestation joke that is not half bad. The other one, pretty bad.
December 20, 2016
National Lampoon's Animal House is a classic slapstick raunchy comedy starring John Belushi, Kevin Bacon, Donald Sutherland, Karen Allen, Tim Matheson, and John Vernon. It has lots of crude and funny humor throughout the film. It's funny and has an interesting story. I give it a 88%
December 18, 2016