National Lampoon's Vacation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

National Lampoon's Vacation Reviews

½ January 1, 2017
A bit like any family road trip itself, National Lampoon's Vacation has its fair share of wildly entertaining moments, but also moments that drag on and test your patience. This is a story that's at its best when it's relegated to just the main four members of the Griswold family dealing with their various mishaps: the rest stops involving the Griswolds' extended family, including Clark Griswold's rural cousin Eddie and the batty Aunt Edna, don't fare quite as well, often lingering just long enough to knock the film's pacing out of its groove. Fortunately, the majority of the film deals with the former, which keeps the jokes flowing as smoothly as possible. The antics of the Griswold family are zany enough to allow for humor that more grounded comedy can't account for, but aren't overly unrealistic in order to insure at least some relatability for anyone who's had a road trip gone wrong. Writer John Hughes even take this story down a pretty dark road at times, as Clark's dwindling sense of sanity finally snaps and he unleashes everything that's been pent up inside. It's the tale of the Griswold family, but it's Chevy Chase's movie to run away with, and he doesn't disappoint. Chase finds a good mix of comedy styles, including physical humor and deadpan quips that give his performance a nice variety, and in the scenes that do get a little more serious, he really sells Clark's unwinding mental state. Behind the camera, Harold Ramis doesn't pull any fancy tricks, and still shows room for improvement, but crafts a fun little road trip comedy that's worth a watch.
½ January 1, 2017
National Lampoon's initial Vacation entry introduces the series' brand of humor with a formula in which it works best.
December 20, 2016
One of the funniest and classic road trip comedy of all time!!
½ August 30, 2016
A sequence of skits without much to offer in way of heart, narrative, or creativity.
August 20, 2016
Mass hysteria. One of the funniest films from the mid 80's which is saying a lot. An all around hilarious film
August 1, 2016
5 stars, again and again
July 29, 2016
Haven't seen this movie in years, but was glad to have revisited it. A classic comedy about the Griswold family going on a trip from Chicago to California to go to the amusement park Wally World. Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) wants nothing more than to take his family on a road trip and bond with his children. Along for the ride are his wife Ellen (Beverly D'Angelo) and his two kids Rusty (Anthony Michael Hall) and Audrey (Dana Barron). Along the way the family gets into a ton of hijinks and crazy situations turning the vacation into a hell ride. I will say for a movie that is 33 years old I still laughed out loud a lot of times. There's a lot of stuff that's dated because of the time, but I still found the movie to be very entertaining. If you haven't seen this one before definitely give it a look!
July 28, 2016
I am going date myself reviewing this movie, but I love this all time classic! The original National Lampoon's Vacation is the best of the Vacation movie series. The best movie role Chevy Chase has done. Comic master Harold Ramis ( of Caddyshack, Ground Hog Day fame) crafts, a comically brilliant story of one event after another which goes wrong on a road trip from Chicago to Los Angles. The dead aunt on the car roof, the Arizona car jump to, being lost in the desert is classic. Chase dealing with in-laws, car problems, money problems, family trouble, and a women in a Red Ferrari culminates into a goofy Chase stumbling into the movie's climatic Wallyworld ending. The Chase/John Candy ending just crushes it for a strong ending. 5 stars.
July 25, 2016
The Griswolds hit the road in the ultimate hilarious comedy adventure!
July 17, 2016
National Lampoon's Vacation is a good movie. Chevy Chase is hilarious in this movie. I found this movie pretty funny and good overall. I would suggest this movie.
½ July 10, 2016
The utter lack of coherence and consequence in this movie is distracting from what could be a funny vacation movie. Sadly, half of the scenes feel like the don't need to be in the movie, because they're shown and just cut away from with no repercussion or relevance. Characters act like the previous scene never happened. Speaking of characters, they're so unlikeable that it's almost painful. The main character (SPOILERS!!) cheats on his wife. Horrible, yes, but it's just SHRUGGED OFF IMMEDIATELY. The interaction can be summed up by "Hey I cheated on you" "OK I'm not mad you're still my husband" and they never speak of it again. This kind of shrugging off the previous (sometimes family-shaking) encounter is insufferable.
July 1, 2016
Funny, raunchy but also heartwarming.
June 24, 2016
,,,¢,,,,¦,,,¢,,,,¦,,,¢,,,,¦,,,¢,,,,¦,,¢,,,¦,,¢,,,¦,¢,,¦¢,¦â¦...
June 11, 2016
This was an amazing movie. This movie had everything a comedy movie needs to be good. This movie is a movie that you won't forget about soon. This movie will get an A+ for having everything a comedy needs.
½ June 2, 2016
Vulgar, cynical, and hilarious, Vacation is a relatable and a charming piece of mainstream 80s cinema.
½ May 30, 2016
A family vacation but by no means a family movie.
Why swearing? A pot-smoking child? Really? This is a classic boomer drivel. I like the story part, but they had to add the awful hippie tropes, which woefully detracts.
Scenes end when they should, which is a plus. Hall demonstrates some acting ability.
Poorly developed characters. Comedy of errors. Some fun along the way. The scenery is the star. The ending, though sudden, was more uplifting than what preceded it. I enjoyed it at the finish more than during the thing.
½ May 27, 2016
Tue Griswold family hits the road on a vacation in this hilarious adventure.
May 14, 2016
not much into this one but it OK
½ May 8, 2016
It maybe a good pick for people who tend to enjoy, old comedy movies, but this movie isn't for everyone, such as myself I never got into it.
April 11, 2016
"I'm so hungry I could eat a sandwich from the gas station" :)