National Lampoon's Vacation - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

National Lampoon's Vacation Reviews

½ August 30, 2016
A sequence of skits without much to offer in way of heart, narrative, or creativity.
August 20, 2016
Mass hysteria. One of the funniest films from the mid 80's which is saying a lot. An all around hilarious film
August 1, 2016
5 stars, again and again
July 29, 2016
Haven't seen this movie in years, but was glad to have revisited it. A classic comedy about the Griswold family going on a trip from Chicago to California to go to the amusement park Wally World. Clark Griswold (Chevy Chase) wants nothing more than to take his family on a road trip and bond with his children. Along for the ride are his wife Ellen (Beverly D'Angelo) and his two kids Rusty (Anthony Michael Hall) and Audrey (Dana Barron). Along the way the family gets into a ton of hijinks and crazy situations turning the vacation into a hell ride. I will say for a movie that is 33 years old I still laughed out loud a lot of times. There's a lot of stuff that's dated because of the time, but I still found the movie to be very entertaining. If you haven't seen this one before definitely give it a look!
July 28, 2016
I am going date myself reviewing this movie, but I love this all time classic! The original National Lampoon's Vacation is the best of the Vacation movie series. The best movie role Chevy Chase has done. Comic master Harold Ramis ( of Caddyshack, Ground Hog Day fame) crafts, a comically brilliant story of one event after another which goes wrong on a road trip from Chicago to Los Angles. The dead aunt on the car roof, the Arizona car jump to, being lost in the desert is classic. Chase dealing with in-laws, car problems, money problems, family trouble, and a women in a Red Ferrari culminates into a goofy Chase stumbling into the movie's climatic Wallyworld ending. The Chase/John Candy ending just crushes it for a strong ending. 5 stars.
July 25, 2016
The Griswolds hit the road in the ultimate hilarious comedy adventure!
July 17, 2016
National Lampoon's Vacation is a good movie. Chevy Chase is hilarious in this movie. I found this movie pretty funny and good overall. I would suggest this movie.
½ July 10, 2016
The utter lack of coherence and consequence in this movie is distracting from what could be a funny vacation movie. Sadly, half of the scenes feel like the don't need to be in the movie, because they're shown and just cut away from with no repercussion or relevance. Characters act like the previous scene never happened. Speaking of characters, they're so unlikeable that it's almost painful. The main character (SPOILERS!!) cheats on his wife. Horrible, yes, but it's just SHRUGGED OFF IMMEDIATELY. The interaction can be summed up by "Hey I cheated on you" "OK I'm not mad you're still my husband" and they never speak of it again. This kind of shrugging off the previous (sometimes family-shaking) encounter is insufferable.
July 1, 2016
Funny, raunchy but also heartwarming.
June 24, 2016
June 11, 2016
This was an amazing movie. This movie had everything a comedy movie needs to be good. This movie is a movie that you won't forget about soon. This movie will get an A+ for having everything a comedy needs.
½ June 2, 2016
Vulgar, cynical, and hilarious, Vacation is a relatable and a charming piece of mainstream 80s cinema.
½ May 30, 2016
A family vacation but by no means a family movie.
Why swearing? A pot-smoking child? Really? This is a classic boomer drivel. I like the story part, but they had to add the awful hippie tropes, which woefully detracts.
Scenes end when they should, which is a plus. Hall demonstrates some acting ability.
Poorly developed characters. Comedy of errors. Some fun along the way. The scenery is the star. The ending, though sudden, was more uplifting than what preceded it. I enjoyed it at the finish more than during the thing.
½ May 27, 2016
Tue Griswold family hits the road on a vacation in this hilarious adventure.
May 14, 2016
not much into this one but it OK
½ May 8, 2016
It maybe a good pick for people who tend to enjoy, old comedy movies, but this movie isn't for everyone, such as myself I never got into it.
April 11, 2016
"I'm so hungry I could eat a sandwich from the gas station" :)
April 10, 2016
One of best comedies ever (seriously) ! :-)
March 25, 2016
Classic, always funny!!
½ February 27, 2016
when i was watching the movie i love the intro with the postcards and what city they're from and the fact that it goes from California to Illinois and the comedy slapstick jokes and with the mystery woman who follows the family getting Chevy's attention and the stuff they put up including Cousin eddie is made funny and greatest in movie history but it doesn't tell us the full reason why they're going to Wally World and what or who is Marty Moose but i give it 9.5