Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no tani no Naushika) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no tani no Naushika) Reviews

January 18, 2018
Only gotten better overtime.
December 10, 2017
Miyazaki's classic nature vs man conflict
November 6, 2017
Definitely one of Miyazaki's best, especially with all of the beautiful animation, dark themes, complicated story, and above all his titular character that remains the absolute best of his long line of protagonists.
½ October 29, 2017
Not as outstandingly epic or memorable as previous Ghibli works, Hayao Miyazaki delivered a perfectly original and unique piece of imaginative, creatively inspiring and visually beautiful hybrid between sci-fi and fantasy, as only this movie maker could possibly craft, adding, as well, classic Ghibli elements worthy of this collection, such as characters, design and outstanding art that represents the best out of hand-drawing animation, as well as how it fits with the kind of story it is delivering, for the best.
½ October 21, 2017
I'm a big Hayao Miyazaki fan and had not seen this one before, so I was fairly excited to watch this film on the big screen. However, I was a bit disappointed and would have to say this is the weakest of Miyazaki's films I've seen. The story of the young Princess Nausicaš, who has a connection to nature, is seeking peace between three warring kingdoms and wishing to restore the earth's environment seem like ripe Miyazaki fodder, but this film is slow moving and the pro-environmental message was preachy and heavy-handed. Miyazaki almost always has a pro-environmental message in his films, but this one seemed to hit you over the head with it. But the main problem with this film is a deathly slow second act. The film starts strong and has a reasonably good conclusion, but the middle section is pretty lifeless, which is exacerbated by a lack of interesting characters outside of the titular princess. Overall, I suppose this is worth watching for Miyazaki fans, but it's certainly not a good entry point for those new to his work.
½ September 25, 2017
A great combination of science fiction and fantasy, Hayao Miyazaki's first Studio Ghibli movie gives a good story, a sympathetic protagonist, and wonderful animation and effects.
July 19, 2017
Con "Nausicaa", el director Hayao Miyazaki rompe con los cliches y las formulas de genero del anime, para entregarnos una fabula ecologica llena de accion y sentimiento en un futuro postapocaliptico.
½ June 29, 2017
Nice and imaginative. The story bound and rebound and keep twisting. Inspired by big wars, an after earth disaster and some whiff of Avatar and doctor Doolittle. The heroine is supergood and flies super well, so that is certainly attractive to me. This is similar to captain America, adventure-wise. The film holds well with time, I just saw it and was super surprised it was out in 1985! I saw the 2005 release in DVD.
June 1, 2017
My favorite Ghibli. My favorite Miyazaki. My favorite princess.
May 19, 2017
Seriously, though: how did Miyazaki do it? So much originality. So much humor. So much commentary. So much action. This movie was made in 1984! While it was not my favorite Ghibli flick, it was fantastic nonetheless. Other than some awkward inner monologues at the outset, this was a post-nuclear wasteland film that really worked at both a character and symbolic level.
March 20, 2017
My favourite of Miyazaki's. Epic and beautiful.
½ March 1, 2017
I finally saw this (in theaters!) after years of being a Miyazaki fan, phew. Since my introduction to Miyazaki was Princess Mononoke I gotta admit watching this now felt first like a more convoluted version of Mononoke (meets Dune??) and also strongly dated with its supreme 80s soundtrack and is-she-wearing-pants-or-not head scratching for the first half hour.

That said, it's still a Miyazaki and its absolutely brilliant. Wonderful world building, great female lead, great message. A movie about empathy and respect, which was lovely and sad to watch in 2017.
February 6, 2017
gory and bloody, but a beautiful work of art.
December 29, 2016
Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (1984) C-116m. ???? D: Hayao Miyazaki. Sumi Shimamoto, Mahito Tsujimura, Hisako KyŰda. Fantastically awe-inspiring Japanese animated film, nearly suffocated by vivid atmosphere and piercing feelings. Willful princess finds herself alone in continual struggle to find solution that may bring peace between two nations, a current bloodbath which is destroying their planet. Great characterizations aid immeasurably to powerful action sequences. Impressive second outing for director Miyazaki, who's last film was LUPIN III: THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO. A triumph in every respect.
December 7, 2016
Story itself is only 2.5 stars worth, but graphics deserve half an additional star.
½ November 30, 2016
Stunning visuals, good story
November 28, 2016
A brilliant story done in animation, decades before all the CG glamour of Avatar, conveying a message in much better and elegant manner!

Loved it!
September 23, 2016
"Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind," having birthed Studio Ghibli, may be an important piece of animation, but, with a convoluted environmental message and some crudely-drawn creepy-crawlies in tow, it's no masterpiece.
September 2, 2016
It's undoubtedly beautiful and has adequate heart, but it's not nearly as compelling as Miyazaki's later works.