Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no tani no Naushika) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no tani no Naushika) Reviews

December 29, 2016
Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (1984) C-116m. ???? D: Hayao Miyazaki. Sumi Shimamoto, Mahito Tsujimura, Hisako KyŰda. Fantastically awe-inspiring Japanese animated film, nearly suffocated by vivid atmosphere and piercing feelings. Willful princess finds herself alone in continual struggle to find solution that may bring peace between two nations, a current bloodbath which is destroying their planet. Great characterizations aid immeasurably to powerful action sequences. Impressive second outing for director Miyazaki, who's last film was LUPIN III: THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO. A triumph in every respect.
December 7, 2016
Story itself is only 2.5 stars worth, but graphics deserve half an additional star.
½ November 30, 2016
Stunning visuals, good story
November 28, 2016
A brilliant story done in animation, decades before all the CG glamour of Avatar, conveying a message in much better and elegant manner!

Loved it!
September 23, 2016
"Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind," having birthed Studio Ghibli, may be an important piece of animation, but, with a convoluted environmental message and some crudely-drawn creepy-crawlies in tow, it's no masterpiece.
September 2, 2016
It's undoubtedly beautiful and has adequate heart, but it's not nearly as compelling as Miyazaki's later works.
August 29, 2016
Such a great movie. I cant believe I figured out what it was called due to I was very young when I watched it for the first time. Watching it as an adult reminds me why I loved it so much as a child. You should definitely watch this at least once.
August 2, 2016
While it may try to pack too much in its 2 hour run time, it'll be overshadowed by a great story, great characters, and very good musical score.
June 6, 2016
This movie prevents relevant scenarios and messages calling for peace and environmental protection in a progressive film ahead of its time for content and animation. The landscapes were gorgeous and the opening music fit the film perfectly. The voice acting was slightly weak which made the films serious tone slightly less convincing but with the visual mastery and seriousness of the topics on hand it barely scratches the masterpiece.
June 2, 2016
It's never too late for a change, Nausicaa will enrich young and brave minds.
½ May 19, 2016
87%
Watched this on 18/5/16
Gorgeously animated and with a truly engaging and sensible world from Miyazaki, perhaps his most interesting one. Whenever there's no action, the film is terrific, that is in those moments where its a science fiction film. However, I don't approve much of the action, mostly because I didn't want any. I just did not love this as much as Princess Mononoke.
½ May 11, 2016
Valley of the wind contains Miyazaki's Classic and wonderful charm, while also creating a breathtaking atmosphere and a gripping tale about the consequences of humanity's mistakes.
April 4, 2016
Mi nueva pelicula favorita <3
March 19, 2016
This might be my favorite Miyazaki film.
March 9, 2016
Hayao Miyazaki's first masterpiece that brought him into the mainstream. "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" shows us the world through Miyazaki's eyes. His visual style and storytelling are effecting as the visuals the film produces. Kids will love the moral of the story which involves the end of slaughtering and not giving up hope. Again, like many other Studio Ghibli films, the pace is off, but thanks to its majestic scope, you which the film was even longer.
March 4, 2016
awesome story spectacular animation well paced fun to watch Miyazaki can do no wrong
February 15, 2016
Tore my heart to pieces, then put it back together again. Nausicaa is without a doubt an animated triumph that everyone should experience in its original format.

If ever I'd speak of inspiration and that which sparks it, that conversation will begin and end with The Valley of the Wind.
January 18, 2016
If a little rough around the edges, watching proto-Ghibli lay out their talents before you lifts any sense of surprise at the Studio's eventual rise to fame. Here, they bring to life a great heroine and the captivatingly beautiful strangeness of which Miyazaki and co. would go on to spoil us ever since.
½ January 16, 2016
Mildly interesting.

An animated fantasy-adventure. Set 1,000 years from now, the earth is ravaged by pollution and war. In the Valley of the Wind lives Nausicaa, princess of her people. Their land borders on a toxic jungle, filled with dangerous over-sized insects. Meanwhile two nearby nations are bitterly engaged in a war and the Valley of the Wind is stuck in the middle...

A so-so movie. Was reasonably interesting initially but the story lacked focus or engagement as it went on. It is really just one long rambling story, filled with random turns of events. There's no character depth or variety - characters are either good guys or bad guys, and clearly and stereotypically so. There is no grey.

No profundities, except some half-hearted, naive attempts at statements about war and the environment.

Kids will enjoy it (the hero is a young girl, after all, so kids must be the target market). Intelligent adults will find it average, even tedious.