Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no tani no Naushika) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no tani no Naushika) Reviews

April 9, 2018
A rather early Miyazaki or Gibli film. It looks as amazing as his other films and it's a vivid tale where a princess seem to be the only one to understand the importantess of nature - this time insects mostly - working together with mankind to keep the world spinning. Well, the earth is rather dead here, with toxic jungles and oversized insects. Two nations battle and fight and the bugs are having the majority of the pain.

Nausicaš is the true hero in this story that I found much too similiar to "Princess Mononoke". I like that film better, this one was a bit too long, repitative and rather complicated at times. I've heard that there's two versions here, one heavily cut and more child friendly - known as "Warriors of the Wind" I think, and I'm quite positive I've saw the full version, known as the best one.

I like some of the characters and the ohms. The name is actually partly stolen from the sandworms from "Dune" and that explains why I found those films so similiar in many ways. This is for me the "Dune" mixed with "Star Wars" version of Mononoke.

There's few things I dislike with this anti-war film, but I'm kind of left with a feeling that this is too similiar to other things and the mentioned lenght is also a little setback. Some great scenes and loads of vivid fantasy that really shines the last 20 minutes or so. I also dig the flying thingy and the ohms' eyes. Otherwise it's not Miyazaki at his best for me.

6 out of 10 gliders.
½ March 18, 2018
A great animated film. Watched both original and dubbed and both are good.
February 6, 2018
Already love the movie form the opening. I'm reminded of Star Wars, Fantastic Planet, Fallout. That scene with the towering infernal monsters walking through the fire with that piano in the background. Wow. Beautiful.

Unbelievable how in a desolate and toxic world, still Miyazaki manages to make it beautiful with all the ethereal bugs and beautiful colors. Wonderful animation. Fuck man, I wish I could fly like Nausicaa.

Very interesting to see how the survivors who now live on this desolate land, have managed to create tools and objects that help them out like reading the wind and collecting energy from the wind.

I absolutely love the music in this film and it's definitely no exception in his other movies. That guy Joe Hisaishi makes wonderful music reminds me a lot of my favorite video game composer, Jeremy Soule. The distinctive 80's sounds and synths are like honey to listen to.

Amazing how Nausicaa can coax them and charm the insects into going back to the forest without causing any trouble. Love how the military always has to make a show whenever they show themselves. Yeah I love that pitch, "We've come here to bring peace and unify the nations of the frontier", while you have practically fucking taken the villagers as prisoners and set up your army everywhere with turrets and all.

That scene with the Ohm's running in the darkness hit me real hard. It reminded me of The Matrix. Incredible to see how much destruction the Giant Warrior's can cause. Thank goodness they all ceased to exist, or else they'd destroy the world.

Overall, what a beautiful movie with an even more beautiful message. This movie reminds us that we can't fight hate with hate, you must learn to love above all and show compassion and sympathy, especially in the face of evil and rage itself. In the end, we must face the fact that we live in a world that has both good and evil, both beauty and filth. But it's the good that we try to do in this world that will make the world a better place, not being evil and showing love. Especially to things that aid us like nature and trees and plants that provide clean air for us and rivers and lakes as well as the animals that make sure everything is in order. Miyazaki, you inspired me again.
February 4, 2018
Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind has a strong protagonist, but it needed better developed supporting characters. It has too much action, but the story is imbued by a wonderful environmental message and terrific world building. The score from Joe Hisaishi is wonderful and the animation is truly fantastic and even groundbreaking thanks to beautifully designed creatures, plants and landscapes. It's an admirable early effort from Hayao Miyazaki.
January 22, 2018
Loved the animated movie placed in a future post-apocalyptic world, very different and more meaningful from what it normally dished out in this genre. I had read the graphic novel it's based on a few years back and had loved it, even with the high expectations, I was still delighted by the movie. Released in the year 1984, it's as old as me, although over 30 years old the water painted animation is still a delight to watch. It has great characters, theme, and storytelling. The superb music adds to the haunting theme of this futuristic world. Its directed by Hayao Miyazaki, probably the greatest animation filmmaker in history, no wonder it a timeless classic.

Trivia: This is the movie which could be credited with the creation of Studio Ghibli
January 18, 2018
Only gotten better overtime.
December 10, 2017
Miyazaki's classic nature vs man conflict
November 6, 2017
Definitely one of Miyazaki's best, especially with all of the beautiful animation, dark themes, complicated story, and above all his titular character that remains the absolute best of his long line of protagonists.
½ October 29, 2017
Not as outstandingly epic or memorable as previous Ghibli works, Hayao Miyazaki delivered a perfectly original and unique piece of imaginative, creatively inspiring and visually beautiful hybrid between sci-fi and fantasy, as only this movie maker could possibly craft, adding, as well, classic Ghibli elements worthy of this collection, such as characters, design and outstanding art that represents the best out of hand-drawing animation, as well as how it fits with the kind of story it is delivering, for the best.
½ October 21, 2017
I'm a big Hayao Miyazaki fan and had not seen this one before, so I was fairly excited to watch this film on the big screen. However, I was a bit disappointed and would have to say this is the weakest of Miyazaki's films I've seen. The story of the young Princess Nausicaš, who has a connection to nature, is seeking peace between three warring kingdoms and wishing to restore the earth's environment seem like ripe Miyazaki fodder, but this film is slow moving and the pro-environmental message was preachy and heavy-handed. Miyazaki almost always has a pro-environmental message in his films, but this one seemed to hit you over the head with it. But the main problem with this film is a deathly slow second act. The film starts strong and has a reasonably good conclusion, but the middle section is pretty lifeless, which is exacerbated by a lack of interesting characters outside of the titular princess. Overall, I suppose this is worth watching for Miyazaki fans, but it's certainly not a good entry point for those new to his work.
½ September 25, 2017
A great combination of science fiction and fantasy, Hayao Miyazaki's first Studio Ghibli movie gives a good story, a sympathetic protagonist, and wonderful animation and effects.
July 19, 2017
Con "Nausicaa", el director Hayao Miyazaki rompe con los cliches y las formulas de genero del anime, para entregarnos una fabula ecologica llena de accion y sentimiento en un futuro postapocaliptico.
July 19, 2017
½ June 29, 2017
Nice and imaginative. The story bound and rebound and keep twisting. Inspired by big wars, an after earth disaster and some whiff of Avatar and doctor Doolittle. The heroine is supergood and flies super well, so that is certainly attractive to me. This is similar to captain America, adventure-wise. The film holds well with time, I just saw it and was super surprised it was out in 1985! I saw the 2005 release in DVD.
June 1, 2017
My favorite Ghibli. My favorite Miyazaki. My favorite princess.
May 19, 2017
Seriously, though: how did Miyazaki do it? So much originality. So much humor. So much commentary. So much action. This movie was made in 1984! While it was not my favorite Ghibli flick, it was fantastic nonetheless. Other than some awkward inner monologues at the outset, this was a post-nuclear wasteland film that really worked at both a character and symbolic level.
March 20, 2017
My favourite of Miyazaki's. Epic and beautiful.
½ March 1, 2017
I finally saw this (in theaters!) after years of being a Miyazaki fan, phew. Since my introduction to Miyazaki was Princess Mononoke I gotta admit watching this now felt first like a more convoluted version of Mononoke (meets Dune??) and also strongly dated with its supreme 80s soundtrack and is-she-wearing-pants-or-not head scratching for the first half hour.

That said, it's still a Miyazaki and its absolutely brilliant. Wonderful world building, great female lead, great message. A movie about empathy and respect, which was lovely and sad to watch in 2017.
February 6, 2017
gory and bloody, but a beautiful work of art.
December 29, 2016
Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (1984) C-116m. ???? D: Hayao Miyazaki. Sumi Shimamoto, Mahito Tsujimura, Hisako KyŰda. Fantastically awe-inspiring Japanese animated film, nearly suffocated by vivid atmosphere and piercing feelings. Willful princess finds herself alone in continual struggle to find solution that may bring peace between two nations, a current bloodbath which is destroying their planet. Great characterizations aid immeasurably to powerful action sequences. Impressive second outing for director Miyazaki, who's last film was LUPIN III: THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO. A triumph in every respect.