Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no tani no Naushika) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (Kaze no tani no Naushika) Reviews

May 19, 2017
Seriously, though: how did Miyazaki do it? So much originality. So much humor. So much commentary. So much action. This movie was made in 1984! While it was not my favorite Ghibli flick, it was fantastic nonetheless. Other than some awkward inner monologues at the outset, this was a post-nuclear wasteland film that really worked at both a character and symbolic level.
March 20, 2017
My favourite of Miyazaki's. Epic and beautiful.
½ March 1, 2017
I finally saw this (in theaters!) after years of being a Miyazaki fan, phew. Since my introduction to Miyazaki was Princess Mononoke I gotta admit watching this now felt first like a more convoluted version of Mononoke (meets Dune??) and also strongly dated with its supreme 80s soundtrack and is-she-wearing-pants-or-not head scratching for the first half hour.

That said, it's still a Miyazaki and its absolutely brilliant. Wonderful world building, great female lead, great message. A movie about empathy and respect, which was lovely and sad to watch in 2017.
February 6, 2017
gory and bloody, but a beautiful work of art.
December 29, 2016
Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind (1984) C-116m. ???? D: Hayao Miyazaki. Sumi Shimamoto, Mahito Tsujimura, Hisako KyŰda. Fantastically awe-inspiring Japanese animated film, nearly suffocated by vivid atmosphere and piercing feelings. Willful princess finds herself alone in continual struggle to find solution that may bring peace between two nations, a current bloodbath which is destroying their planet. Great characterizations aid immeasurably to powerful action sequences. Impressive second outing for director Miyazaki, who's last film was LUPIN III: THE CASTLE OF CAGLIOSTRO. A triumph in every respect.
December 7, 2016
Story itself is only 2.5 stars worth, but graphics deserve half an additional star.
½ November 30, 2016
Stunning visuals, good story
November 28, 2016
A brilliant story done in animation, decades before all the CG glamour of Avatar, conveying a message in much better and elegant manner!

Loved it!
September 23, 2016
"Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind," having birthed Studio Ghibli, may be an important piece of animation, but, with a convoluted environmental message and some crudely-drawn creepy-crawlies in tow, it's no masterpiece.
September 2, 2016
It's undoubtedly beautiful and has adequate heart, but it's not nearly as compelling as Miyazaki's later works.
August 29, 2016
Such a great movie. I cant believe I figured out what it was called due to I was very young when I watched it for the first time. Watching it as an adult reminds me why I loved it so much as a child. You should definitely watch this at least once.
August 2, 2016
While it may try to pack too much in its 2 hour run time, it'll be overshadowed by a great story, great characters, and very good musical score.
June 6, 2016
This movie prevents relevant scenarios and messages calling for peace and environmental protection in a progressive film ahead of its time for content and animation. The landscapes were gorgeous and the opening music fit the film perfectly. The voice acting was slightly weak which made the films serious tone slightly less convincing but with the visual mastery and seriousness of the topics on hand it barely scratches the masterpiece.
June 2, 2016
It's never too late for a change, Nausicaa will enrich young and brave minds.
½ May 19, 2016
87%
Watched this on 18/5/16
Gorgeously animated and with a truly engaging and sensible world from Miyazaki, perhaps his most interesting one. Whenever there's no action, the film is terrific, that is in those moments where its a science fiction film. However, I don't approve much of the action, mostly because I didn't want any. I just did not love this as much as Princess Mononoke.
½ May 11, 2016
Valley of the wind contains Miyazaki's Classic and wonderful charm, while also creating a breathtaking atmosphere and a gripping tale about the consequences of humanity's mistakes.
April 4, 2016
Mi nueva pelicula favorita <3
March 19, 2016
This might be my favorite Miyazaki film.
March 9, 2016
Hayao Miyazaki's first masterpiece that brought him into the mainstream. "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind" shows us the world through Miyazaki's eyes. His visual style and storytelling are effecting as the visuals the film produces. Kids will love the moral of the story which involves the end of slaughtering and not giving up hope. Again, like many other Studio Ghibli films, the pace is off, but thanks to its majestic scope, you which the film was even longer.