Next - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Next Reviews

½ September 8, 2016
Great idea really bad movie
July 27, 2016
Me And My Brother Jesse Krajci Both Like Nicolas Cage.
½ July 25, 2016
A film where someone can see 2 minutes into the future was always going to be difficult to understand and in a way it was but it was different, Nothing like we thought it would be it had some good action scenes, As much as the ending annoyed me it fit into the film nicely, Nic Cage was good but I think someone like Tom Cruise would of played it better (No offence Nic) It does leave you trying to work things out in your head and they used his future gift to put in some shock tactics and it all worked, It's by no means a classic but it's as good as it was ever going to be, Even with some cheap effects in places.
½ May 9, 2016
Well, Biel looks really hot here....The idea isn't a bad one, but its difficult to present I think and have it make clear sense. If you suspend all sense of logic over his abilities and how he uses them and how the plot unfolds... It can be entertaining.
April 1, 2016
The movie is reasonable but i'd have to say maybe more could of been done and doesn't have much of a re-watchability factor
March 11, 2016
Next is a disappointing film. It is about a magician who can see into the future is pursued by FBI agents seeking to use his abilities to prevent a nuclear terrorist attack. Nicolas Cage and Julianne Moore give terrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Lee Tamahori did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
½ February 28, 2016
if only the writers had the 2 min ability to see through to their plot holes
½ February 13, 2016
Film was really a bit of a mess and left me dissatisfied.
½ February 3, 2016
Such a great bad movie, the cast nearly makes up the entire disregard for character development or reasonable progression. Cage is... well Cage, and Biel does what she can as arm candy.
January 14, 2016
This sort of ESP and seeing the future premise tugs at the imagination. Have you ever experienced de ja vu? Chris Johnson's de ja vu skills are superior, and therefore, he's going to save the world, or at least the LA area and his beautiful girlfriend.

The bad guys' motives for their evil deeds was not the focus and not very clear. They were just there, needing to be stopped.

There may have been a few tiny plot holes, but it was suspenseful. I enjoyed the suspense and twists. I didn't mind the ending at all; it made sense to me, although it does leave you hanging, wondering "Well, what happens next?"
January 12, 2016
Next is a stupid, yet entertaining movie.
½ January 2, 2016
Interesting premise. Some holes in the story but still interesting.
½ January 2, 2016
A really good storyline and plot, let you guessing until the very end. Great cast as well.
½ December 16, 2015
the reason nobody likes the FBI. just shows they think they can do wat ever they want without consequences LOL.
November 5, 2015
Movies involving manipulation of time are quite difficult to make, and this was one of the better ones. Cris Johnson (Cage) is able to foresee - but only by a couple of minutes - the consequences of his actions, and then to change his actions accordingly. He is hiding out in Vegas, keeping a low profile, while government agents led by Callie Ferris (Julianne Moore) are trying to track him down, planning to turn him into a captive asset with the immediate goal of preventing a terrorist attack.

The setup in Las Vegas is a bit strange, but frankly the Philip K. Dick story on which the original draft of the movie was loosely based is also quite strange (though totally different).

Julianne Moore is exceptional as the FBI agent who has complete faith in her own conviction that Johnson is the solution to the expected attack. We have of course come to expect brilliance from her performances, and I found this one completely up to her usual standard.

Two scenes stand out in my mind, years after seeing this movie: the one where Johnson escapes from the government agents by causing an avalanche then running through it, and the search of the building that displays extremely well the way Johnson sees the world as a series of alternate futures.
½ October 6, 2015
Moments but too much dead screen air.Wasted premise that showed moments of promise but little else.
September 23, 2015
If you are into time travel or see into the future type movies, this is as good as most. it may not withstand close scrutiny but I enjoyed it enough
to post a review. While not that plausible at times, it does have a certain cool factor, and the effects look nice enough
September 4, 2015
Interesting thesis. Cage must like magic stuff: here's another one. Wooden performance by Juliann Moore. Pretty S. Johanson-ish love interest. Wretched music.
½ August 29, 2015
Nicolas Cage is a genius. I think I bring this up in almost every review of his films that I do, but I used to hate this guy as an actor. But the more I saw of him, the more I realized that this guy simply did not give a fuck anymore and his Cage-isms, dating back all the way to the 80s, were simply a way to entertain himself. Never has an actor gained such a cult following by being so purposely bad. And that's why, for a period of about 6 years now, I've loved to watch every Nicolas Cage movie, especially if they're in the low-budget, direct-to-video realm I can find. Granted, this is more of a high-budget affair than I'm used to when it comes to Cage, but I still definitely wanted to see it. But, sadly, in a way, this is a disappointment. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't expecting the film itself to be any good, and it wasn't, particularly with the ending feeling like an incredibly cheap way out. What I am talking about is the fact that Nicolas Cage is more boring than he is batshit crazy in this film. There are still certain Cage-isms, but if you're looking for something to remind you of why you first fell in love with him in The Vampire's Kiss then you would be barking up the wrong tree. I mean, honestly, the movie does provide some B-movie entertainment. It's goofy, it doesn't make any sense when scrutinized, all its villains are foreign (USA! USA! USA!) and all that good stuff. This movie can definitely be enjoyed, but you need to turn your brain off and realize that you're in for something that's just there to, theoretically, entertain you and I can't even say they did that right. Here's the thing, the film is aware that it doesn't make any sense and it doesn't really make any sort of an effort to try and make any of this fit within its own context. But, honestly, outside of a few B-movie thrills here and there, I don't think this film is even that entertaining in its badness. The exposition itself is just way too damn long, the film is almost an hour gone by the time that the FBI catches up to Cris. The first hour of the film sees Cris falling in love with this woman who lets him see farther into the future than he is able to regularly, he's only able to see 2 minutes into the future, and it is just not very good. The chemistry between Nicolas Cage and Jessica Biel just isn't there. I just didn't buy that they were in love, particularly after such a ridiculously short period of time together. Remember how I said that Biel's character let's Cage's character see into the future farther than he normally could. Well, that plays into how the film ends in the worst fucking way possible. I guess it works, partly, within the context of Cris' powers, but it also completely negates about, say, 65% of the film. And, if you hadn't noticed or aren't able to do math properly, 65% is more than half of the film. It's like why in the fuck did I waste my time watching the film if that's how it was gonna end. I'm pretty sure you can see how this is gonna end, it's not like I'm explicitly spoiling it, but you can tell. It's actually an awful ending really. Like I said, it partly works within the context of the narrative, but that doesn't make it any less awful. It's just a cheap way out of giving you an actual ending, that's just how I see it. It's not like the film was good and this ending brought it down several notches, but it's still pretty terrible. While there are some fun moments to be had with this film, they're simply not sustained through its, relatively, brief running time. Not a terrible movie by any means, but it's not one that I would recommend. Cage has both done better and worse. And I mean worse in the most complimentary way possible.
August 26, 2015
Interesting idea and entertaining movie.