A Night at the Roxbury - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Night at the Roxbury Reviews

October 28, 2017
Or as it was originally known 'The Roxbury Guys' was another reoccurring sketch within the classic American late night show [i]Saturday Night Live[/i]. Whilst I'm not entirely sure who came up with the original idea, the two main characters in the sketch were always played by Chris Kattan and Will Ferrell. The duo were often joined by a third character who would be played by another famous actor. The most well known seems to be Jim Carrey's contribution.

The entire idea behind this sketch was simple. Two (or three) guys that are habitual clubbers, dressed in garish rayon suits, adorned with tacky bling, slicked (90's) hair, and desperately trying to pull anything in a dress with a heartbeat. Even though the guys are experienced in clubbing, their clubbing escapades are generally huge fails because of their adolescent approach to basically everything. The guys come off more like permanently horny teenagers gagging for the slightest bit of female interaction. And when they get it they'd probably cum in their pants straight away.

The movie takes this premise and expands it somewhat. Chris Kattan and Will Ferrell are the main two protagonists again but there is no third member. The duo are now brothers that still live with their very wealthy parents in LA, I think. Most definitely somewhere on the Californian coast. The premise is entirely the same with the brothers spending all their time thinking about clubbing and getting laid. In the background their artificial plant store owner father (Dan Hedaya) is trying to get Steve (Ferrell) to marry Emily (Molly Shannon). Emily being the daughter of a wealthy light fitting store owner that sits next door to the artificial plant store. Meanwhile Doug (Kattan) is trying to keep Steve's mind focused on their plan of owning a top nightclub in the area.

The first few sequences of the movie start in exactly the same way the short SNL sketches do. The camera slowly moves through a crowded club towards the bar where the brothers stand, backs to the camera, nodding their heads to the beat. The beat in question is of course 'What is Love' by Haddaway which played through every sketch. See it as the theme tune for 'The Roxbury Guys'. It is painfully obvious that the first 10 minutes or so of the movie are actually the most enjoyable. A collection of short clips showcasing what the brothers are like, how they behave, and how unsuccessful they are. It sums up the entire concept of the characters and all the main gags from the SNL sketches in one blast. Unfortunately this kinda renders the rest of the movie pointless because they were the best bits. Its like they blew their load straight away and no need to carry on.

I like how the brothers feel like their lives are hard and they have to deal with many injustices. When in reality their parents are very rich (from artificial flowers?), they live in a large mansion complete with pool and guest house, and they seemingly have no responsibilities. I like how the parents seem to be a very stereotypically über wealthy LA couple. The mother (Loni Anderson) has a very fake looking face due to plastic surgery and tonnes of makeup. Indeed one of the jokes is how she shows off her new chin to family friends. Hedaya's character (presumably down to his family heritage) dresses in a very flamboyant Greek-like style, or maybe very Miami Beach-esque. I dunno really, being British I'm not too au fait with US west coast cultures, but that's how it looks to me.

The entire movie mocks the entire wealthy west coast beachfront lifestyle. You know what I mean, everyone you see seemingly being beautiful. All the guys are ripped, all the women are blonde, the tans, muscles, gyms, perpetual sunshine etc...Then by night its all glitzy clubs where your name has to be on a list to get in, unless you're famous and rich. The whole look and feel of it is actually really vomit inducing, so fake and materialistic. This is capitalised on by having a couple of sexy club sluts (gold-diggers) trying to get into the brothers pants after they're seen with a super rich club owner (Chazz Palminteri).

So I guess it felt totally natural that they stick in a has-been of the big and small screen, Richard Grieco. Now this guy totally encapsulated the entire image of this movie (obviously why they cast him). A relatively big star, slowly fading, now living life as a rich socialite. The girl on his arm is obviously there for the ride, he only gets into clubs because (at that time) he was rich and famous, and he's now overweight with a fake looking face (makeup much!). It seems he's in the movie for the purpose of showcasing the worst aspects of Hollywood and the glitzy lifestyle. The real question is was Grieco in on the joke?

That's not to say this movie is totally unenjoyable, oh on, there are some good laughs to be had. Kattan (who has a face like Kermit the Frog) and Ferrell are both pretty amusing here. Apart from the obvious things like their hair and attire, the visual gags, slapstick and dialog are generally OK, it raises a giggle. Doug is the brains of the duo so to speak, whilst Steve is more the gentle doofus. Much like Jim Carrey, Kattan is good with his rubbery face and physical comedy. Where as a young Ferrell seems to be good at playing simple and vulnerable. I like how Hedaya's character constantly scorns and mocks Doug and how he reaslise Steve is a moron, but obedient. Molly Shannon puts in the perfect performance as an overbearing bitch who is more interested in making money than enjoying life. She's almost like executive dominatrix and gets her way by literally sucking Steve off. I didn't see a problem with this relationship myself, I'm down!

Some bits I could even relate too. When Steve starts showing doubt about marrying Emily, Hedaya's disciplinarian father figure calmly and firmly tells him, the caterer has already been paid for and his grandparents flew half way around the world just for this. In other words you're marrying Emily because it would be seriously inconvenient and a waste of money not too. That is [b]totally[/b] something my own mother would say I swear to God!

In general I can fully understand why this got slated upon release because its the epitome of a one trick pony padded out into a movie. There was never a need to make a movie out of the original sketch because the original sketch just worked so well. Nevertheless I can't deny its a bit of a guilty pleasure flick for a lazy night in. Its one of those movies you can throw on again and again for a bit of a silly laugh. Either take a trip down memory lane back to the 90's, or to cheer yourself up if you're a bit down. The soundtrack is also, like the movie, a guilty pleasure boasting tracks you probably danced to back in the day (age depending of course). Yes its a brainless feature and essentially a collection of skits stuck together. But I believe the two leads are likeable enough to keep you entertained, and possibly come back for more.
October 24, 2017
This movie always makes me laugh even though it is pretty dumb overall. The critics were very brutal with this one, but I think that people will find it funny so long as they don't overthink it. It is probably one of my favorite movies that is based on an SNL skit.
½ September 22, 2017
"What is love? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more." This movie was hilarious. Is it the best movie ever? No. But it's a good time. And I've never seen Will Ferrell look younger.
½ May 23, 2017
Come on this movie isn't that bad it has funny jokes and good chemistry, I guess its a guilty pleasure.
½ May 23, 2017
This movie is one of the worst I have ever seen. Had to walk out of this one.
April 3, 2017
Best movie ever made
March 9, 2017
5 star from me as this movie has done the right thing in every way for a comedy, funny cast, great cameos, great soundtrack, great comedy, not repetitive ( well kind of with the 'what is love' song but that's the joke so...) and last but not least, the movie is 1 hour and 20 minutes, that is all a comedy movie needs to be. In conclusion I give this movie a fresh 5 out of 5.
½ February 23, 2017
Some things are better left in the '90s.
½ February 20, 2017
1/20/2017: A ridiculous silly fun movie.
February 11, 2017
A dumb comedy, but it has an unexplainable goofy charm that wins you over. It's almost hypnotic. (First and only viewing - 10/15/2008)
December 23, 2016
had some good laughs and memorable comedy. but a lot of the jokes fell flat or were overdone, and overall as a movie this is pretty terrible (2 viewings)
½ October 4, 2016
After the first couple minutes the whole film is easily forgettable
September 26, 2016
omg, this film is such garbage but i love it
September 6, 2016
Not a bad way to spend 82 minutes of your Netflix life. Still can't believe I used to think Kattan was the HBK as he was always clearly the Jannetty.
June 14, 2016
A Night at the Roxbury is a outrageous and clever movie based off the Saturday Night Live skit. This movie has tons of laughs. I would suggest this movie.
April 19, 2016
So funny, best I can do is 11/10
½ February 27, 2016
Utilizing none of the comedic talents that both Ferrell and Kattan are capable of, A Night at the Roxbury is a pain to sit through with attempts at comedy that are flat-out not funny and characters written to such low intelligence that you feel as if it's a burden to make it through without losing a few brain cells.
½ February 21, 2016
Decently funny, but nothing about the movie was remarkable, nor did it have any sort of lasting impact on me.
½ February 12, 2016
"A Night At The Roxubury", la comedia basada en el sketch del programa de televisión "Saturday Night Live", acerca de dos hermanos que solo quieren bailar "What Is Love" de Haddaway, tiene momentos graciosos y aunque no es "Wayne's World", deja una sonrisa de oreja a oreja. El chiste puede ser repetitivo, pero gracias al talento de Will Farrell y Chris Kattan, la cinta logra funcionar.
February 7, 2016