Nothing Sacred Reviews

• Oct 30, 2020

Lombard was the beauty queen of slapstick in the 30's and this is her masterpiece. She's adorable in every scene. Good story and even March can be overlooked by her performance.

• Sep 04, 2020

Lively and mildly amusing satire is quite dated, but watchable for its wit, fast pace and good cast.

• Jun 24, 2020

Genuinely amusing, Carole Lombard is terrific.

Genuinely amusing, Carole Lombard is terrific.

• Oct 08, 2019

Not among the top tier, but a classic nevertheless.

Not among the top tier, but a classic nevertheless.

• May 22, 2019

Carole Lombard is an absolute SCREAM in this one!! It was her only color film.

Carole Lombard is an absolute SCREAM in this one!! It was her only color film.

• Feb 02, 2019

The best romcom movie ever made!

The best romcom movie ever made!

• Antonius B Super Reviewer
    May 16, 2018

It's nice to see Frederic March and Carole Lombard in color, especially since this was the only color film she ever made. The premise is pretty silly, that so much would be made out of this 'dying' woman in the press and all over New York that shows would be stopped in her presence, she would be given the key to the city, etc., but it's a screwball comedy, so you just have to roll with it. The film had its moments, such as the treatment March faces in Vermont, with its taciturn adults, and a child who scampers out from behind a fence to bite him on the leg. However, it's pretty uneven in terms of humor, with a lot of run of the mill content, and several groaners. You'll also have to forgive some racial stereotypes, and March working Lombard up into a fever by boxing with her, and then knocking her out in one of the film's big scenes. Those bits are in keeping with the time period and not too ugly though, and it was nice to see Lombard give as good as she got. The production value for the film was high, as despite the weakness of the early technicolor process, it had a nice score, and many fantastic shots around New York. My favorite moment in the film is when March proposes to Lombard, despite thinking she has only a few weeks to live. In a film with a lot of screwball moments and one-liners, it had this little gem: "Oh Wally, I... I mustn't. Don't ask me. Please, just kiss me once more and let it go at that without ruining your life." "So what the devil is there better to life than we've got? A handful of perfect hours. That's all the luckiest ever get out of it. Just a handful of hours to save and remember. And then... I'll be there at the end, sailor. I'll be there waving you goodbye. It'll be the same as if you and I had lived forever. And you'll... you'll grow old in my heart."

• Mar 22, 2017

Cute romantic comedy.

Cute romantic comedy.

• Jul 31, 2015

One of the rare screwball comedies to be produced in color, "Nothing Sacred" is about a newspaper reporter who intends to redeem himself after touting a phony sultan by making a big story out of a dying girl...only the girl found out right before he shows up that the doctor was wrong and she is fine...but she accepts a free trip to New York anyways and becomes the big story in town. Solid cast and beautiful color shots of New York City in the 1930s make this a worthwhile way to spend little over an hour.

• Apr 17, 2015

A newspaper reporter invites a girl to visit New York City with him when he believes she has only a short time to live. Goofy little comedy doesn't have many big laughs but has enough wit and spunk to amuse.