Office Christmas Party - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Office Christmas Party Reviews

½ September 9, 2018
Terrible premisse of a story that is too strange and absurd to work. Bad boys and girls with lots of money trash the place. Hard to find the good in it and little humour as well.
½ September 4, 2018
Office Chistmas Party pierde peso por su argumento tan cliche y basico, pero sus personajes logran aumentar el interes de su ejecución , es basica y tal ves en un tiempo no recuerdes a verla visto ya que no ara nada por sobre salir.
August 19, 2018
Strengths: This movie is loaded with talented comedic actors. TJ Miller (Clay Vanstone), Jason Bateman (Josh Parker), Olivia Munn (Tracey Hughes), and Jennifer Aniston (Carol Vanstone) all do well as the four main characters. However, it's the supporting cast who really bring this home. Kate McKinnon (Mary Winetoss) steals the show as the Human Resources lady. Her jokes almost always land and she plays a bigger role in the end than you'd expect. Jillian Bell (Trina) is funny as a pimp, Courtney B. Vance (Walter Davis) has a blast playing something fun, and Rob Corddry (Jeremy) was his usual enjoyable self. There were several big stunts that work surprisingly well in a film like this. Things get wrapped up in a relatively nice bow, making for some good, yet vulgar at times, holiday fun.

Weaknesses: Unfortunately, it's not a very memorable movie. The world of Christmas movies is crowded, so you must stick out. Even average ones tend to have something memorable. Nothing about this movie makes it stand out and you probably won't remember much of what happens a day or two after you watch it. Bateman's character feels like the only one to grow and have something resembling a true arc. Things go a bit too far over the top for every joke to hit and some of the minor characters play out like clichés who don't really click.

Overall: An enjoyable holiday flick. There are plenty of laughs and fun characters. It just doesn't do enough to distinguish itself in a crowded genre and comes across as kind of forgettable.
July 8, 2018
Verges On One Big Saturday Night Live Skit. It Still Has Some Very Funny Bits & I Find It Hard Not To Love Jase Bateman's Dry Wit With Deadpan Delivery, He's The Everyman That All The Other Characters Bounce Off. There Were Parts However That Push/Blur The Boundaries Of Comedy Leading Insanity, Which Is Almost Fascial At Times. These Flaming & Roasting Shout-Fests Usually Involve A Large Mixture Of Swearing, Violence & Insults..This Has It's Moments, But It's Lowest Common Denominator Humor With Tiny Moments But Little Substance, Often Making Joke References To BETTER Films..It Frustrates Me When The Storyline Drifts So Far Off-Track With Partying, Drug-Use & Jackass Behaviour, That By The Time We Hit 1hr-20min The Storyline Suddenly Needs To Wrap Itself Up. So Characters Appear Shameless & Easily Forgiven..With Little Style, But I Guess You Know What You're Getting Here, So Really, You Shouldn't Be Surprised By This. Other Party Movies Tho, Have Made A Better Effort To Pivot Towards An Ending.
June 18, 2018
So I'm gonna try and get this review done as quickly as I humanly can given that it's 9:01 pm right now and I haven't eaten yet but, who knows, I may be here until midnight. I always say that I'm gonna try and make these reviews more concise but I always fail. It's a curse. Eh, not really. I've never understood office Christmas parties, particularly those that are mandatory. I realize that if office Christmas parties weren't mandatory nobody would actually go to them. If you're spending 40-50 hours per week in an office the last thing you want is to spend more time than you need to at the office. Plus these parties often have the reputation of not being very good. As far as the mandatory aspect of it, I mean, really, how can you force people to do something they don't want to do after their work hours? Are you gonna fire them? What if they have a special needs kid at home that needs a lot of attention? You don't know the circumstances of someone's life and who might need them. I wonder if not attending one of those parties is grounds for termination. Because, honestly, that would be the stupidest reason to ever fire anyone. I don't even know why I'm talking about this. I'm bored, I'm tired, the last 9 days of my life have not been very good. I don't know. Anyway, for those of you who may not have known (Letterboxd, since I haven't reviewed one of his movies on here yet...or copy-pasted some from RottenTomatoes), I'm a big Jason Bateman fan. As far as modern comedic actors, there's very few like him that have the timing, the delivery and the facial expressions to, truly, make one of the most complete comedic actors working today. That he doesn't have the best track record, as his filmography is concerned, does not have anything to do with the fact that he's an untalented actor. Far from it. It has more to do with the fact that, sadly, he's been typecast in a certain type of role as a result of his tremendous performance as the straight-man in Arrested Development. I even know someone who hates Jason Bateman as a result of how much of an asshole he was in Juno. And I'm like, thinking to myself, well that's just how good of an actor he is. That your hatred of him transcended what's on-screen. But, I mean, as far as hating Jason Bateman, that should just be illegal. I suppose that's neither here nor there. The reason that I chose this is the same reason that I chose 13 Going On 30, I wanted something to forget all the shit that's been happening. And, also, the cast is full of some really talented actors so that made watching this, for me at least, a must. Well, not necessarily a must, but I know that dating back to its release I was like, even if this movie sucks, I wanna see it. That can be associated to the cast. Having said that, though, does this movie, in fact, suck? No, honestly, I wouldn't go that far. Is it a good movie? I don't know, I suppose we'll get into it. Answering those two questions leads me to this third one. Did I have fun watching this? Unequivocally, yes, I had fun watching this. Does that make me an awful person? No, I'm not Donald Trump for fuck's sake. I'm not saying that the movie isn't without its flaws, but I enjoyed my time with this and will, gladly, give it a positive rating. Story basically sees this struggling tech company, and its branch manager (Clay), trying to save this branch of the company from being shut down by the manager's evil sister (Carol). They do this by throwing this epic party for this man (Walter) that might help them save their company if he decides to go with them instead, of say, Dell. Walter approves of the company, but not of its culture, so the party is Josh (Bateman) and Clay's way of showing that their culture is great and that they treat employees like family. Simple and to the point. Of course, everything starts going to shit and, by the end of the film, the entire office ends up absolutely destroyed after everyone finds out that they're gonna get fired since the branch is closing down. Having said that, I will say that, to me, one of the faults definitely has to be how forced parts of the movie feel. By that, I mean the party gets way out of control. It starts out quite boring, before Clay inserts some energy into it and then they're off to the races. But, as I mentioned, it's quite a bit contrived in how they get to point A and then skip all the other letters to end up at Z. It happens immediately and, really, I don't buy things going this crazy this quickly. It's like the people here, all of a sudden, started acting like they were in Mad Max's universe. And I get that it gives the film an energetic and out-of-control vibe, but it just felt like too much happened in too short of a time span for it to be believable. All of this takes place during one day, basically. Though, if I'm being fair, this isn't the only film that I've seen where too much takes place in too short of a time period. It is what it is, but I can't really overlook it. Having said that, I still had fun watching this movie. I don't really even know what it is. Because, if this had been any other day of the week or I haven't been through a terrible week where a loved one has been in the hospital for something that will change her life forever, then I probably would have been more critical. But, maybe, I was just more 'susceptible' to what this film had to offer. Who the fuck knows? All I know is that the film has a great cast and, clearly, they were having a blast and, to me, that's always really important in a film like this. It's one of the most underrated qualities in a broad comedy as this one. If the actors are having fun, theoretically, that should rub off on the viewer. Of course, that's not always gonna be the case given that you have a wide variety of different people with different tastes that may not buy what you're selling but, for the most part, you hope that it ends up working. In my case, it did. Then again, as I said, I was probably more susceptible due to my emotional state and the fact that I enjoy a lot of the actors in this movie and they all did a very good job. Obviously, it's not like I'd say that the scripting is great shakes or anything of the sort. But, if you were gonna slack on the script, you picked the best cast to do it with. Not that I would ever condone not putting in the effort to produce a strong script, it's just that it's easier to make mistakes because you have such a talented cast to, hopefully, elevate the material. They do elevate it, but it's not like this is gonna be any sort of Christmas classic. They weren't shooting for that, though. They were attempting to be a solid diversion and, to me, that's exactly what it offered. I enjoyed this movie and I don't regret giving this three stars at all. I wouldn't say that you need to go out of your way to watch this, there's very few movies I'd actually say that for, but I had fun watching this movie. And, in the long run, that's all that matters. If you hated it, good for you. I liked it and you can't take that away from me, you fucking assholes. Ok, that escalated quickly. Seriously though, fun movie here.
½ May 16, 2018
The cast was great. Lots of funny parts but nothing too unique overall. Worth a watch for some good laughs.
April 4, 2018
Jason Bateman is Jason Bateman in a Jason Bateman comedy!
Office Christmas Party combines two of my least favorite things: Christmas and passable Hollywood comedies. In this time of the year, there are some films that I can't miss: The Sound of Music, It's a Wonderful Life, Home Alone and The Nightmare Before Christmas (and yes, I also watch it on Halloween), these are classics that encapsulate what Christmas should be all about: joy! How can you not sing when Maria twirls on the hill, or try to guess what's going to happen in the next scene of Kevin's mishaps, or even gasp when Jack sees Sally. Every year there are studios that try milk this holiday spirit producing poor offerings and this film is just another tail of an industrial meat grinding process. These unfunny comedies are nothing but annoying. They don't make enough money, they are dim-witted and lazy in equal measures and so on and so forth. This was one of the worse movies I've seen in the theatre this year. It's a 1h45min bore fest that doesn't step out of what's expected, it could have been directed by my drunk aunt or by some wanna be director in Hollywood who think he's going to make art, it doesn't make an difference. I haven't discovered the reason why T.J. Miller is considered "funny", so having a whole feature film being carried out film is unappealing to me. Jennifer Aniston manages to be slightly engaging and the comedy genius of Vanessa Bayer and specially Kate McKinnon are wasted. These powerhouse comedians, alongside everyone else, are trapped in flat, unrealistic and sketchy characters that you don't give a crap about. Comedy is the genre whose effectiveness relies on the social upbringing and on what's currently funny, more than any other kind of movie. This movie misses the target on the latter while not being relatable when it comes to the former. Also, the plot is as senile as the script and every minute feels tenfold. Bottom line: when you misuse Kate McKinnon and when there's a scene of using a 3D printer to make a penis, I'm out!
March 30, 2018
Great cast, especially T. Miller, K. McKinnon, J. Hahn, and J. Bateman, and others. Great movie.
½ March 25, 2018
This just doesn't do anything different and like all the recent comedies out there it doesn't distinguish itself. The cliches are all there and it never balances the backstory which the carnage. I expected a movie that would've been chaos but it skims quickly over everything. I think comedies should go the quiet way and focus on being original before throwing money out the window.

I've been going through backlog of movies and reviewing them all over again with dates but a film like this I cannot waste my time. 26-03-2018.
March 19, 2018
Fun, witty movie. Not an award winner, just fun:)
March 10, 2018
In December 2016, Josh Parker (Jason Bateman), Chief Technical Officer of Zenotek's Chicago branch, meets with his lawyer, Ezra (Matt Walsh), to finalize his divorce in time for the holidays. Zenotek meanwhile has failed to meet its quarterly quota, and interim CEO Carol Vanstone (Jennifer Aniston) threatens to lay off 40 percent of the staff, cut bonuses, and cancel the annual Christmas party. Her brother, branch manager Clay (T. J. Miller), is desperate to keep his staff. Carol harbors resentment toward Clay, whom she believed was her father's favorite, and threatens to shut down the branch. Josh and Clay, along with Josh's head of tech, Tracey Hughes (Olivia Munn), propose partnering with financial giant Walter Davis (Courtney B. Vance), whom they are having lunch with later that day, and Carol gives them the chance to win his business. Walter is pleased with the pitch, but concerned with another recent branch closure at Zenotek, and feels the company is more about the budget than their people. Clay invites him to their Christmas party in hopes of showing him that their company is in good standing. Before leaving town, Carol offers Josh a position at her New York headquarters, confident her brother will fail. Clay funds an exorbitant Christmas party, much to the chagrin of Mary (Kate McKinnon), the head of Human Resources. Joel (Sam Richardson) takes DJ duty, but the party struggles to pick up even with Tracey inviting Chicago Bulls player Jimmy Butler as a friend. Though initially reluctant, Walter is inadvertently doused with cocaine when it is accidentally fed into a snow machine and succumbs to his free-spirited nature. Throughout the party, various employees cut loose: Nate (Karan Soni) tries to impress two of his staff (Andrew Leeds and Oliver Cooper) by hiring an escort named Savannah (Abbey Lee) to pretend to be his girlfriend, though Nate is found out when she gives a handjob to a fellow employee; Clay's assistant and single-mom Allison (Vanessa Bayer) attempts to hook up with new hire Fred (Randall Park) but stops when he reveals he has a mother-child fetish; and customer service supervisor Jeremy (Rob Corddry) cuts loose on the dance floor with Mary, whom he previously despised. Josh and Tracey get stuck on the roof and nearly kiss before Jeremy interrupts them. Back on the dance floor, Clay wins over Walter's business, and Clay promises everyone they'll keep their jobs and receive their bonuses. The party gradually grows more and more chaotic as employees begin partaking in orgies, damaging company property, and doing drugs. Carol's flight is cancelled due to weather, and she rushes back to the office when she hears about the party from her Uber driver, who took people to the party. Though Carol is initially impressed with receiving Walter's business, Walter injures himself attempting to swing off a balcony after a conversation with Clay, and is later discovered to have been fired from his firm, nullifying any contract and thus no longer bringing in any new money to Zenotek. Carol decides then and there to shut down the branch. To add insult to injury, she reminds Josh about the job offer aloud to everyone, especially Clay. Even though Josh says he said no, the surrounding employees angrily ignore and shun him. Tracey reveals that she was given the same offer but explicitly rejected it where Josh kept it open. Feeling betrayed about what he heard from Carol, Clay rushes off with Savannah's emotionally unstable pimp, Trina (Jillian Bell), to party elsewhere, though Trina is more interested in robbing Clay of his wealth that he is actually keeping on his person. Josh, Tracey, Mary, and Carol race off to save Clay...

Rotten Tomatoes consensus reads, "Its cast of gifted comics is good for a handful of laughs, but Office Christmas Party's overstuffed plot ultimately proves roughly as disappointing as its clichéd gags and forced sentimentality."

"Office Christmas Party" has a good comic casting with Jason Bateman, Jennifer Aniston, T. J. Miller, Olivia Munn, Kate McKinnon etc. The fact that Bateman is always playing the same role more or less and "Office Christmas Party" is not an exception, but he works fine as Josh Parker and the spark between him and Olivia Munn´s Tracey Hughes adds to the film. Jennifer Aniston is fine as Carol Vanstone and T. J. Miller as well as the crazy and irresponsible man-child Clay. The X-Mas storyline is ok (with an "Office Space" feeling even if it is a bit scattered at times), the X-Mas vibe is ok and it´s an ok comedy in general with several funny scenes. Yes, it is a bit over the top, but I didn´t expect anything else. "Office Christmas Party" has that X-Mas enjoyment factor with comic vibes and gags, but it´s not something you will watch every X-Mas year after year.
March 9, 2018
No doubt this movie has a great cast, it even has a more meaningful story than most comedies. There is just too much go in on and to much space in between laughs, it could have been much funnier. Good music and awesome comedians were the stand outs in this film.
March 3, 2018
This movie was the most hilarious comedy we've seen in a while! The objective was fresh and kept us interested. It's quick, catchy plot line had us guessing and laughing until the very last scene. The actors were all witty and endearing. We wouldn't change a thing.
½ March 3, 2018
A great example of a hit and miss comedy - lots to like, but just as much that doesn?t work.
½ February 13, 2018
Extremely crude and vulgar, Office Christmas Party is completely lacking in the spirit of the season. In a last ditch effort to save his branch from being closed by his sister, Clay Vanstone attempts to land a major client by throwing a wild Christmas party. Jason Bateman, Olivia Munn, T. J. Miller, Kate McKinnon, and Jennifer Aniston lead the film's all-star cast; but none of the characters are all that interesting or likable. And the comedy is mostly made up of crude sexual and gross out humor. Additionally, whatever message about corporate culture that the film might be trying to make is lost. Office Christmas Party is an incredibly ugly and pointless comedy that hardly delivers any laughs.
½ January 8, 2018
I was looking to watch a funny Christmas movie that isn't Elf or A Christmas Story so I gave this a chance since I really like Jason Bateman and I can say I was entertained throughout the whole thing. It's not the greatest movie ever but it checked the boxes I was looking for while watching. It's definitely stupid humor but it gave me a few good laughs
January 8, 2018
not awful, not amazing
½ January 3, 2018
Office Christmas Party comes no where close to what it may resemble to our combine parties. This movie was not a bit but way over the top where nothing great happens. The laughs were from great, the jokes were dry and it was unpleasant at most points. Great cast which includes Jennifer Aniston who portrays TJ Miller's hard nosed sister, several SNL characters, bosom buddy Jason Bateman and a great supporting cast. Overall it was a not so great movie, with a bad script. The directors did a better job with Blades of Glory than this one.
January 2, 2018
2.2/5. 4.4/10.

-JDK
December 29, 2017
Saw it on cable -- definitely a fun holiday movie! A lot of great comedy (granted, some jokes didn't work for me, but still overall very funny)