One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
April 17, 2017
Another classic that doesn't fully engage me.
½ April 14, 2017
Milos Forman was an odd - but ultimately perfect directorial choice and brought to us a quite excellent film on a platter with a side of subliminal genius.
April 7, 2017
The all time classic exceeded my expectations. Nicholson was incredible as well as the immense cast behind him. Great direction is what ultimately fuels the success of the film, the cramped and sometimes uncomfortable feel of the ward is fully fleshed out, and that why I agree with Rodger Ebert saying that boat scene just doesn't work as well. Not that it's bad, it just feels tonally jarring in comparison to every other scene. Everything else about the film is excellent though, and the conflict between Nurse Ratchet and Mac is the best thing about the film. The ending is as shocking and sad as it is thought provoking, and I couldn't be happier that I saw this one
½ April 3, 2017
A film where blacks are depicted as morally corrupt thugs and Indians are depicted has suffering from mental illnesses because of their cultures and rites. A deeply racist film at it's roots.
March 24, 2017
The movie that started my fascination for movies. Amazing film.
March 24, 2017
Classic, just an amazing classic by Jack Nicholson.
½ March 18, 2017
Jack Nicholson was awesome!
March 13, 2017
This is one of my favorite films of all time! Everything about this film is great. The acting from the entire cast is off the chain. Obviously Jack Nicholson steals the show and gives arguably the greatest performance of all time. Louise Fletcher and Brad Dourif are also notably amazing. Nurse Ratched is a fantastic villian. This is one of only 3 films ever to win the big 5 at the Oscar's and deservedly so. This is my favorite Milos Forman movie. This film is harsh, cruel, hilarious, sad, and dramatic. I think the reason this is one of my favorite films is because it is about one of my favorite themes and that is chaos vs. order, freedom vs. conformism. This is a must watch film with great characters, themes, and an overall great story. PLEASE WATCH THIS FILM!
March 11, 2017
Led by powerful and versatile performances from Jack Nicholson and Louise Fletcher, this film manages to be an emotionally engaging drama and a thought-provoking critique on society and culture that leaves viewers thinking onward.
February 28, 2017
Featuring one of the most unlikable antagonists in cinema, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is engrossing from start to finish.
February 22, 2017
I feel that my movie relates directly to the Beat Generation. Mac teaches the other inmates to rise up for what they believe in and to challenge the ideals of the ward. This can be seen as a metaphor to the men of the beat generation, who inspired others to rise up and challenge conforming to the post War ideals of settling down with a wife, having kids, and living in a 'white picket-fence' world. Although Mac was not successful in his attempt to escape, his real success was teaching those men that they should not be ashamed of who they are and how they should lead their lives. The lasting quote that I will remember is from Mac, talking to the group. "What do you think you are, for Chrissake, crazy or somethin'? Well you're not! You're not! You're no crazier than the average asshole out walkin' around on the streets and that's it." Mac's inspiration towards the other inmates will leave a lasting impression on them, and the lesson I learned from this movie, is everyone is a little crazy. But who cares? No one is even perfect so why not have a little fun? Be a little crazy! I think Mac's motto in life was to live life fun, rather than to die being boring.
February 15, 2017
Harsh, cruel, hilarious, sad and dramatic. This 1975's film, winner of the BIG FIVE awards: Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Direction and Best Adapted Writing is definitely a must-see. Jack Nicholson is perfect as Randle McMurphy, a delightful performance and Nurse Ratched seemed like the devil itself. A powerful ending starring Chief Bromden. I guess the novel must be equally good.
January 26, 2017
A brilliant movie about the battle of Freedom against Conformism, through the microcosmos of an insane asyilum, at a time when America faces that same questioning. Through this amazing interpretaion a lot of deep questions arise: what is normality, what's the definition of insanity, what makes someone become insane, how the lack of freedom creates insanity, how over repressive institutions are toxic for society and want to maintain people in their "nest", how taking someones freedom is to break a man, etc. These are just a few of the many more questions that Randle, Jack Nicholson's most profound performances, impersonates. Just brilliant !! This is truly a gem, a perfect score ! If you haven't seen it, you don't know what cinema is. A most definite need to see film.
January 3, 2017
One flew over the cuckoos nest manages to size up its scope and cultural themes using the confinement of a mental institution. It's allegory and metaphor is extremely complex, but it's pay off is a continual film study, conformity being its central issue.
December 20, 2016
Jack Nicholson is super charismatic as a free-spirited character who refuses to abide by the rules at a mental institution, in a great drama that has its best moments when showing his obstinate attempts to get through to people who have given in to conformism.
November 26, 2016
Great film, really enjoyed it. Jack Nicholson is so good in it. It's slow to start but when it gets going it gets really good
October 16, 2016
A film about madness, with crazy, to where Jack Nicholson is the most normal person in the film, yes, that's possible, "Stranger in the Nest" is almost an essay on the madness, here we have the story of Randle Patrick McMurphy (Jack Nicholson), a subject "normal" that is sending the asylum, and there coexists with crazy making them rediscover the pleasures of life, and vice versa, we have a message of friendship and human freedom on the social reins, moreover, we have great performances, not just Nicholson is fantastic, but all are absurdly crazy, you watch the movie anxious, because every second someone can do crazy, crazy ones that happen several times in the film, with screams, noises, fights, all about the serene look of the head nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher), (in which case, we are, viewers), and you witnesses this and is shocked and disturbed. The picture is gray, colorless and lifeless, pass all hospital atmosphere of the film, but could have a color to spend the shock even tone on the roadmap, it seems that the film has no script, it looks like things simply are happening in the same madness, and his pace is extremely slow, it seems that the film does not have a development, many go to sleep, others leave, and those who remain will see that it was worth it.
October 9, 2016
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is nuts. It shouldn't be so powerful or engaging or fun or tragic, but it is. It takes place in a mental hospital that's bleached and bland with it's white walls and bare furnishings. It's inhabited by lethargic inmates dressed in whites and grays that shuffle around and lackluster nurses that blankly watch their subjects. It is an odd place that's mostly bereft of any life and it feels distinctly detached and dull. Nurse Rached has designed it to be that way and Randle McMurphy works tirelessly to unravel her perfect little system. There lies the epicenter of this stirring story. The two leads' feud is an illustration of a larger struggle, one where the spirit of an individual is often silenced by the power of the people in charge. McMurphy's rebellion against "the man" is a cathartic and sobering journey.

Jack Nicholson's performance is incredible. McMurphy is an explosive, energetic man with an aggressive, impulsive temperament. He takes an empty, lifeless place and fills it with life. Randle is a fascinating contradiction. He's a troublemaker intent on disturbing the peace and structure of the hospital, but his disruption often causes more good than harm. He befriends the inmates, breaks them out of their drugged stupor and shatters their fragile comfort zones. He teaches them basketball, kidnaps them and takes them on a fishing trip, throws them a drinking celebration in the ward. He shows them how to have fun and stand up to Mrs. Rached's commands and be human again. It's amazing to watch the ward transform from dull and detached to the lively brotherhood it transforms into. And as much as he wants to escape, in the end he cares too much about the inmates too leave. It is right up there with Marlon Brando in Streetcar Named Desire as one of my favorite performances.

I really identified with this story. The struggle against an illogical and unjust power is a relatable one for me. McMurphy's free spirit is stifled at every turn by the staff, the ward is threatened and mistreated and that was enraging. It's not just a statement on society either, it's a disturbing exposure of a flawed mental health system as well, one where the inmates are essentially drugged and brainwashed and have no medium to express themselves. I think it offers an important reminder of the good rebellion can bring and the danger it can incite. The idiosyncrasies of the crew were also very amusing, with the fighting over monopoly games and them all peeping on McMurphy having sex on the boat. My parting thought is that one of the coolest elements of the film is McMurphy's relationship with the giant Native American inmate, Chief. Chief trusted Randle so much he broke 12 years of silence and agreed to leave with him. The tragic moment where he suffocated Randle and mustered the courage to escape was an incredibly stirring conclusion to a wild, mesmerizing film.
½ September 19, 2016
I doubt I have to explain the plot of this film because it seems that everyone except me has either seen the movie or read the book (or both.) I loved watching how McMurphy's carefree attitude influenced all the other patients. His joy for life was infectious and you could see it as everyone started to become stronger and stood up for themselves. Jack Nicholson was brilliant in the part, and everyone else in the star-studded cast was simply amazing as well. It's a tough movie to watch, though, because everything keeps going wrong. Whenever we are given a slight ray of hope it comes crashing down. And that's a cycle that continues over and over again throughout the film, to the point of annoying repetition. I also found it odd, after all I heard about this film, how mild Nurse Ratched seemed. She certainly manipulates the patients unfairly and is the driving force behind many of McMurphy's problems, but it never felt like she was approaching her care of the patients with wholly malicious intent as I was expecting (perhaps there was more in the book.) I thought the lack of score through most of the film was an interesting choice. It begins and ends with an off-putting tune (played on a saw if I'm not mistaken) but otherwise they just let the dialogue take center stage. This does help, though, to accentuate when the tedious classical music is being played over the PA system and makes it sound just as annoying to our ears as it did to McMurphy. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a heavy film that takes a tough look at what drives the human spirit, and what can crush it as well. The ending is simultaneously depressing and hopeful which is a real challenge. I can absolutely see why this is a beloved story, and I would gladly watch it again (my opinion might go up if I do) but for now some of its flaws just stood out to me too much, perhaps because I was expecting perfection based on all the positive buzz.
August 28, 2016
10 out of 10:

Powerfully acted, great direction, and a story that's sometimes funny, other times tragic are the qualities that can be found in One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.