One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Reviews

October 8, 2017
Like it' s characters, this film has a interesting, and rather quirky pacing, and energy to it. And the performances are top notch all around.
August 31, 2017
This comedy drama contains strong performances from all of its cast (especially Nicholson). It deals with a subject matter that is sometimes intense and distressing, but always thought-provoking. Overall it is an entertaining film. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time. AAW 1001
August 28, 2017
This is one of Jack Nicholson's best performances and is very well directed by Milos Forman! Based off the book by Ken Kessy, the story is phenomenal and shows a lot of hardship throughout. All the emotion that takes place throughout the film really gives the audience a chance to feel what Mcmurphy feels!
½ August 20, 2017
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is brimming with memorable characters. Films today just don't have that sense of story and character, it's more visual narrative and overacting. There's no overacting here, every performance is understated in their own unique way. Nurse Ratched, played by Louise Fletcher, is cool, calm and collected and yet her mannerisms exude terror. Her authoritative figure and soft spoken voice just adds to this, so much so that the patients in the state mental hospital are petrified of her. Randle McMurphy, played by Jack Nicholson, is just a common criminal who to start with plays along with the other patients. However, upon the realisation that he may not ever get out...he starts to find ways in order to escape. I found his performance captivating and clearly he is great and portraying crazy people, just look at The Shining. He is able to control the smaller scenes with his charisma and own the bigger crazier scenes with his excitable energy. His raucous behaviour puts the other patients at risk of certain procedures such as the controversial electro therapy. What really compelled me was the similarities between the mental patients and the outside world, to which McMurphy says that there is no difference. The screenplay for that scene, well every scene actually, brings life to each character. From the first 30 minutes, every character's personality and state of mind is indicated to us. There are no boring characters, each of them have unique qualities and that is something you don't see in every film. Loved the fishing boat scene, adored Chief's and McMurphy's friendship and appreciated the time and effort spent on character interactions. The way they talk to each other in the therapy sessions just felt natural, and to balance the screen time between them all was just genius. You just don't get films like these anymore.
August 18, 2017
This Movie Was 34 Years Old In 2009.
August 16, 2017
A film of acting proportions of Jack Nicholson's MacMurphy vs Louis Fletcher's Nurse Ratched
August 16, 2017
With a magnetic performance from Nicholson and a superbly written script that pits his unruly, wilful character against a worthy foe in the form of the head nurse of the mental institution that he finds himself in, 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' is a fascinating film that explores a number of social issues within the microcosm of the setting. There are a few places where it drags here and there, but for the most part, it is simply a joy to watch the effect that one man armed with self-confidence and a very different attitude can have on those who have all but given up on themselves.
½ August 14, 2017
Though all actors involved played admirably, and the decision to stay when R.P. could have left was telling and morally admirable for the context behind it, Nurse Ratched is not the purported nightmare she is made out to be, even while needlessly cruel. Great film though all around.
July 20, 2017
To this day, I've never seen a film where acting matched that of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest; lead & support cast are astoundingly good. Jack Nicholson produces a one-of-a-kind performance as McMurphy as Louise Fletcher nails a spot in my nightmares tonight as Nurse Ratched. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest whisks you on a rollercoaster of emotions. Found myself laughing one second & wide-eyed in horror the next. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest illuminates horrific treatment in institutions & made people re-evaluate how vulnerable people were cared for. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is powerful & provocative, and still stamps its message in permanent marker today. So well directed & edited. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is one of the best films I have ever seen and will ever see. It's a film that will stay with you forever.
July 19, 2017
For me, the greatest performance in cinema history. A brilliant film all-round.
June 21, 2017
Nicholson's finest performance to date in my opinion.
½ June 8, 2017
Jack nicholson is a god
½ May 23, 2017
73% - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is a well-made drama film that is occasionally funny with strong performances and a powerful script.
May 11, 2017
What can I say. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest deserves its ridiculously rave reviews and ratings.
A 1975 film based on Ken Kesey's novel about a state mental hospital it stars a great cast that really make the film work.
The principal character is Randle P. McMurphy (Jack Nicholson). He begins the film as a prisoner sent for 'evaluation' of his mental health. However is he feigning mental health issues to avoid hard prison time?
McMurphy galvanises the other more moribund patients including Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd and Vincent Schiavelli against the strict but orderly rules of the ward epitomized by Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher).
Along the way look out for escapes/a fushing trip and an alcohol fuelled party.
I never knew the film was produced by Michael Douglas a recipient of his first Oscar award for the film.
Jack Nicholson delivers yet another electrifying performance full of extroverted energy and some inadvertent comic moments.
In the year that brought us Jaws another cinematic classic was delivered. Bravo.
May 10, 2017
It really is just one of those movies that will stand the test of time. The messages and ideas presented in this film really made me think well after the credits rolled. The best part about this movie is how committed the actors are to their characters. I found something to love about all of the characters and really wanted them to just be happy. There are moments that are extremely hard to watch and other moments that put a smile on my face. It's a well-made balancing act of humor, heart, and powerful emotion. It builds up to a finale that makes you feel all kinds of emotions.
May 8, 2017
Probably my favourite Jack Nicholson movie. With great performances all round, this is a beautifully funny movie with truly human heart
½ May 1, 2017
really good and really touching..
would have been 5 if it hadn't of been an adaptation to a book.
May 1, 2017
Super movie,oustanding classic
FiLmCrAzY
April 17, 2017
Another classic that doesn't fully engage me.
½ April 14, 2017
Milos Forman was an odd - but ultimately perfect directorial choice and brought to us a quite excellent film on a platter with a side of subliminal genius.