One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Reviews

June 21, 2017
Nicholson's finest performance to date in my opinion.
½ June 8, 2017
Jack nicholson is a god
½ May 23, 2017
73% - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is a well-made drama film that is occasionally funny with strong performances and a powerful script.
May 11, 2017
What can I say. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest deserves its ridiculously rave reviews and ratings.
A 1975 film based on Ken Kesey's novel about a state mental hospital it stars a great cast that really make the film work.
The principal character is Randle P. McMurphy (Jack Nicholson). He begins the film as a prisoner sent for 'evaluation' of his mental health. However is he feigning mental health issues to avoid hard prison time?
McMurphy galvanises the other more moribund patients including Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd and Vincent Schiavelli against the strict but orderly rules of the ward epitomized by Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher).
Along the way look out for escapes/a fushing trip and an alcohol fuelled party.
I never knew the film was produced by Michael Douglas a recipient of his first Oscar award for the film.
Jack Nicholson delivers yet another electrifying performance full of extroverted energy and some inadvertent comic moments.
In the year that brought us Jaws another cinematic classic was delivered. Bravo.
May 10, 2017
It really is just one of those movies that will stand the test of time. The messages and ideas presented in this film really made me think well after the credits rolled. The best part about this movie is how committed the actors are to their characters. I found something to love about all of the characters and really wanted them to just be happy. There are moments that are extremely hard to watch and other moments that put a smile on my face. It's a well-made balancing act of humor, heart, and powerful emotion. It builds up to a finale that makes you feel all kinds of emotions.
May 8, 2017
Probably my favourite Jack Nicholson movie. With great performances all round, this is a beautifully funny movie with truly human heart
½ May 1, 2017
really good and really touching..
would have been 5 if it hadn't of been an adaptation to a book.
May 1, 2017
Super movie,oustanding classic
FiLmCrAzY
April 17, 2017
Another classic that doesn't fully engage me.
½ April 14, 2017
Milos Forman was an odd - but ultimately perfect directorial choice and brought to us a quite excellent film on a platter with a side of subliminal genius.
April 7, 2017
The all time classic exceeded my expectations. Nicholson was incredible as well as the immense cast behind him. Great direction is what ultimately fuels the success of the film, the cramped and sometimes uncomfortable feel of the ward is fully fleshed out, and that why I agree with Rodger Ebert saying that boat scene just doesn't work as well. Not that it's bad, it just feels tonally jarring in comparison to every other scene. Everything else about the film is excellent though, and the conflict between Nurse Ratchet and Mac is the best thing about the film. The ending is as shocking and sad as it is thought provoking, and I couldn't be happier that I saw this one
½ April 3, 2017
A film where blacks are depicted as morally corrupt thugs and Indians are depicted has suffering from mental illnesses because of their cultures and rites. A deeply racist film at it's roots.
March 24, 2017
The movie that started my fascination for movies. Amazing film.
March 24, 2017
Classic, just an amazing classic by Jack Nicholson.
½ March 18, 2017
Jack Nicholson was awesome!
March 13, 2017
This is one of my favorite films of all time! Everything about this film is great. The acting from the entire cast is off the chain. Obviously Jack Nicholson steals the show and gives arguably the greatest performance of all time. Louise Fletcher and Brad Dourif are also notably amazing. Nurse Ratched is a fantastic villian. This is one of only 3 films ever to win the big 5 at the Oscar's and deservedly so. This is my favorite Milos Forman movie. This film is harsh, cruel, hilarious, sad, and dramatic. I think the reason this is one of my favorite films is because it is about one of my favorite themes and that is chaos vs. order, freedom vs. conformism. This is a must watch film with great characters, themes, and an overall great story. PLEASE WATCH THIS FILM!
March 11, 2017
Led by powerful and versatile performances from Jack Nicholson and Louise Fletcher, this film manages to be an emotionally engaging drama and a thought-provoking critique on society and culture that leaves viewers thinking onward.
February 28, 2017
Featuring one of the most unlikable antagonists in cinema, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is engrossing from start to finish.
February 22, 2017
I feel that my movie relates directly to the Beat Generation. Mac teaches the other inmates to rise up for what they believe in and to challenge the ideals of the ward. This can be seen as a metaphor to the men of the beat generation, who inspired others to rise up and challenge conforming to the post War ideals of settling down with a wife, having kids, and living in a 'white picket-fence' world. Although Mac was not successful in his attempt to escape, his real success was teaching those men that they should not be ashamed of who they are and how they should lead their lives. The lasting quote that I will remember is from Mac, talking to the group. "What do you think you are, for Chrissake, crazy or somethin'? Well you're not! You're not! You're no crazier than the average asshole out walkin' around on the streets and that's it." Mac's inspiration towards the other inmates will leave a lasting impression on them, and the lesson I learned from this movie, is everyone is a little crazy. But who cares? No one is even perfect so why not have a little fun? Be a little crazy! I think Mac's motto in life was to live life fun, rather than to die being boring.
February 15, 2017
Harsh, cruel, hilarious, sad and dramatic. This 1975's film, winner of the BIG FIVE awards: Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Actress, Best Direction and Best Adapted Writing is definitely a must-see. Jack Nicholson is perfect as Randle McMurphy, a delightful performance and Nurse Ratched seemed like the devil itself. A powerful ending starring Chief Bromden. I guess the novel must be equally good.