One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Reviews

May 18, 2018
Directed by Milos Forman and is about Randall Patrick McMurphy (Jack Nicholson) who gets transferred to a mental institution, the mental institution is ran by Nurse Ratched (Louise Fletcher) who tortures her patients and so the high spirited Randall is forced to stay in a very closed-minded hospital. Jack Nicholson gives an outstanding and charismatic performance as R.P. McMurphy and really sells the role extremely well and Louise Fletcher does a terrific job and so does everyone else in the film. Mental illness is shown in a very realistic way and it doesn't sugarcoat any of it. "Power" is a pretty big subject in the film, Nurse Ratched is very power hungry, Randall views the patients as powerless, when Randall was fighting one of the guards Chief viewed him as powerless so thats why chief came in and tried to help him, it is something that occurs a lot. From the beginning shot it shows nature with Native American like music playing, in my opinion the music symbolizes the patients with what sounds like someone crying. At the end of the film the music plays again also showing another shot of nature but in a less crying and in a more uplifting tone to show that the patients are not suffering as much now that Chief has broken the window and escaped free. The classical style music the nurses play I think symbolizes power as it powers over the patients which forces them to shout. R.P. McMurphy gives the patients joy as the film progresses and he cares for the people around him for example when Billie committed suicide he could have just left and went off to Canada but he decided to stay and choke Nurse Ratched. On my first viewing I thought Nurse Ratched wasn't a bad person but just someone doing her job but as I watched it again I am convinced she is a bad person who pressures her patients. I loved Chief's character development throughout the film, at first he starts out as someone who decides to not speak and pretends to be deaf and he still did (except in front of Randall McMurphy) but as the movie goes on he gains courage from Randall and he gains the courage to escape and utilize his strength which was his strong muscles, the first time he utilizes one of his strengths (which was his height) was in the basketball game. The scene where the supervisor comes in and the patients and Turtle hide is an extremely funny scene but I also felt anxious in the same time thinking if they were to get caught. one of the themes I got from this film was that people with mental illness are not dumb and can think for themselves. This is a film I highly recommend, the film is great in both emotionally and aesthetically and if you haven't checked it out you should.

(btw I haven't read the book but I will in my senior year of high school so wish me luck)
½ May 10, 2018
Just about as life-affirming as a movie can be without feeling the least bit pandering.
April 25, 2018
A timeless masterpiece.
April 3, 2018
Possibly Nicholson's greatest performance. It's a film full of depth, memorable moments and great direction. One of the all time great movies ever made.
March 20, 2018
Bravo! Bravo! "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is both a study in human mind interactions and the never-ending battles between the free-spirited and conservatives. Forty years later, its original 1970's context can be replaced to represent any decade's global events.
It is one of those difficult films that manages to create entertainment, drama, and heartfelt tragedy between its unforgettable characters as they are all cooped up in one hellish spot. As you can guess, a big reason why these characters are unforgettable is because of the actors who portray them. Nicholson, Fletcher, Sampson, DeVito, Lloyd, Dourif, and the rest of them do a job well done.
Very high praises from me all around. Go check this son of a gun out!
½ March 15, 2018
A masterpiece of a film. Can't describe it, you have to experience it for yourself to understand why this film is so amazing
March 11, 2018
Nicholson at his best. Hard to imagine he wasn't the first option for this role but thankfully, they got it right. An iconic movie.
March 8, 2018
Featuring a willful theme of humanity and one of the most unlikable antagonists in cinema, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is engrossing from start to finish.
½ February 17, 2018
Best picture. 1001 movies to see before you die.
January 16, 2018
i read that ken kasey didnt approve of the movie, what an idiot! this movie couldnt possibly have been better. if you watch closely youll notice that one of the patients is pluto from the hills have eyes
January 13, 2018
Smart, funny, and enjoyable from beginning to end. Deals with important issues while maintaining the same Milos Forman charm.
½ January 12, 2018
A deep drama with bits of comedy that has an impact even 35 years later. Outstanding performances. A film that shows the oppression of a psych ward that wants to control you rather than make you better. Quite emotionally connecting to the audience.
½ January 1, 2018
With great perfomances (mainly Jack Nicholson and Louise Fletcher as Randle "Mac" McMuphy and Nurse Ratched, respectively), great story and funny characters, "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" is one of my favorite films.
Rating: 9 out of 10.
December 26, 2017
M-F-O

8.7

[Milos Forman]
December 21, 2017
Probably my favourite Jack Nicholson movie. With great performances all round, this is a beautifully funny and moving movie.
December 18, 2017
Puntaje Original: 8.5

Una obra de arte, con una despampanante actuación de Jack Nicholson, que nos ofrece una de las mejores interpretaciones masculinas de todos los tiempos.
December 5, 2017
This has a captivating story and excellent performances.
November 14, 2017
Real drama with a touching ending, the characters are well developed during the movie and Jack Nicholson really deserved the academy award!
October 8, 2017
Like it' s characters, this film has a interesting, and rather quirky pacing, and energy to it. And the performances are top notch all around.
August 31, 2017
This comedy drama contains strong performances from all of its cast (especially Nicholson). It deals with a subject matter that is sometimes intense and distressing, but always thought-provoking. Overall it is an entertaining film. Considered to be one of the best movies of all time. AAW 1001