One True Thing - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

One True Thing Reviews

August 13, 2016
A touching and deep family story. The acting was really top notch from everyone. The interview in the lawyers office throughout the movie provided an aspect of intrigue to an otherwise classic style drama. At the end I was pining to call my mom and tell her I love her.
June 23, 2016
Moving, sad, warm, without being melodramatic; very well acted and directed.
½ January 19, 2016
Superb Meryl being just herself. Superb. Can´t help myself disliking Rene for the role she played. An unfeeling daughter despite how super Meryl was.
July 7, 2015
A nice family drama with really nice performances from Meryl Streep, William Hurt, and Renee Zellweger. Great script and score as well
½ May 15, 2015
You hear the premise and you think you've seen this movie before and you're right but not acted or layered like this film.
March 15, 2015
2015-03-15 very well done, sad but good
January 28, 2015
sad, sobbing story. a delight!
½ August 14, 2014
Expertly acted and painfully realistic, but difficult to watch.
½ July 24, 2014
Really depressing movie, but Meryl Streep succeeds again in delivering an amazing performance. Could have done without the whole crime drama feel at times.
June 20, 2014
A nice family drama about parental relationships.
½ June 4, 2014
Good, well-acted (Meryl Streep is always good) tear jerker about a family struggling with the mother's terminal cancer.
½ June 1, 2014
Decent, yet slow-paced, ''real life'' style family drama
May 25, 2014
I wasn't so sure how I would feel about this piece, but it proved itself to be important. Of course, to a degree, but it's still glorious.

One True Thing stars Meryl Streep, Renee Zellweger and William Hurt. This centers around Ellen Gulden, a young, ambitious yet hard woman who works for a newspaper and is very successful at it. Her life seems to be ideal and normal, a job she loves, a boyfriend she has a passion for (it doesn't feel like love) and a girlfriend she hangs out with. She lives the desirable life of a person in their twenties. This is all interrupted one day when she gets a call from her father, Kate.

He calls her and tells her about a birthday party her father, George, is having. Annoyed and feeling forced, Ellen decides to go. Kate appears and is genuinely a soulful, extremely delightful woman of two children and a seemingly lovely husband. She is bright and a joy to be around, making you want her to be your own mother or at the very least, a family member. But Ellen only sees her as an irritating, stubborn pushover. You can see this from her attitude towards her and begin to feel sympathy for Kate and rather frustrated with Ellen. Not really angry, but frustrated.

It is clear Ellen adores her father, a middle aged college professor. As the story progresses, Ellen realizes and finds out that Kate is ill and eventually diagnosed with terminal cancer. George forces her to stay with her mother and she reluctantly does. As she spends time with her ailing mother as her caretaker, she slowly realizes that she is becoming her daughter too. And as she becomes closer to Kate, she notices her father's sneaky acts as he is cheating with a student.

But of course, the best performance is Meryl Streep. She never comes off as bad or mediocre or even simply as OK. She enters Kate's world of bottled up pain and shining nature. She is like a warm blanket you climb into bed with at the end of the day. Her work paid off with her 11th Oscar nomination, which she would receive seven seven more in the future.
Renee Zellweger seems as if she is in a simple soap opera in the beginning, but she is perfectly fine as a regular woman who has problems with keeping relationships with people who are close to her. Hurt is solid but seems a bit dull in other scenes. The film itself sounds like a typical old family soap opera, but comes off as uncanny and intriguing. It's not about troubles in families, but about how to improve them.
May 13, 2014
I cried so much. Such a beautiful movie with so much emotion from both Meryl Streep and Rene Zellweger. A true beauty!
May 13, 2014
A very honest and emotional movie. Made me connect with my loss as I lost my grandmother due to cancer.
May 1, 2014
Thursday, May 1, 2014

(1998) One True Thing
DRAMA

This is my second viewing for it's based on the novel by Anna Quindlen starring Renée Zellweger as Ellen Gulden whose answering questions before an inquiry regarding the death of her mom, Kate played by the exceptional Meryl Streep. As the movie uses flashbacks, the approach to that revelation is carefully handled as we invest into this particular family's lives upon the affect a family member who've been diagnosed with something can have on others. In this case, it affects the daughter much more in the physical sense than it does than on the father and brother. The set up, the daughter's notified that mom has cancer, and her dad, George played by William Hurt has just requested her only daughter to look after her, even though she has much more in common with him than she does with her mother since they're both in the professional field of writing. We also get the sense how some stay-at-home mothers are not usually appreciated for all the work they do at home. Zellweger's performance here is almost similar to her performance in Jerry McGuire. Hurt, Zellweger, and Streep have all won Oscars and wouldn't be worth watching if it wasn't for them.

3 out of 4 stars
February 21, 2014
another example of a pic a reviewed that flixter lost!
February 17, 2014
Very touching. Feels like the prototype for the whole Lifetime network, but still really good.
½ February 14, 2014
I wish if today's young actresses were like he young Renée Zellweger in the case of acting, she doesn't have to fake to give a good acting and Why haven't
Meryl Streep won an Oscar for this role!!
Very sad movie that tells the truth of every American girl relationship with the American mother
January 14, 2014
A beautiful and sad story about how much joy a mother gets from looking after her family, who only realise how much she does once she becomes sick.