The Parole Officer Reviews

• Sep 02, 2018

Typical middle of the road British comedy. Delivers its share of laughs but hardly memorable. Alright watch for a slow evening.

• Aug 19, 2018

Entertainingly silly fun.

Entertainingly silly fun.

• Mar 18, 2017

This is good. I found it funny and I enjoyed it

This is good. I found it funny and I enjoyed it

• Aug 30, 2015

* As a fan of Steve Coogan and his style of comedy, this was a decent film without ever being excellent. * Thought there was a believable amount of chemistry between Steve Coogan and Lena Headey, even though this was only really explored sparingly.

• Jul 14, 2015

Essa é comédia britânica estilo anos 80, mas foi filmada em 2001. Passou no SBT (TV aberta) essas noites, por conta do falecimento de Omar Shariff esse mês. Shariff participa pontualmente, pois o "astro" é Steve Coogan, quase um sócia de Steve Carrel, mas que depende mais de gags. Coogan, pode-se dizer, manda bem. http://cinetenisverde.com.br/um-agente-em-apuros/

• Sep 20, 2014

Not the best of coogan's work but still ok. Some decent jokes but a very cheesy ending.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    May 15, 2014

Not sure whether to give this film 2.5 or 3 stars. It certainly features one of Britain's best comedic actors, Steve Coogan, who also helped write the film, and he certainly helps make the film better than it would've been otherwise. On the other hand, the film has some very Americanized attempts at broad humor. The roller coaster scene, for one, wouldn't have felt out of place in an Adam Sandler movie, but in a British comedy it does. Not to say that Britain doesn't have its Adam Sandler-like comedians, who don't really put forth an effort when it comes to their films. They just do what the lowest common denominator wants, dick and fart jokes. Most British humor is more sophisticated than that, it is cleverly written and beautifully delivered by its actors. Hell, as an example of this, this film has a small 20-second cameo, from Simon Pegg, pre-Shaun of The Dead and only known to fans of Spaced by this point, and his appearance was a highlight of the film. He's funny without saying absolutely anything, just using his facials expression to tell his character's 'story'. I don't even know how, or why, I got into this rant. Long story short is that this film has some attempts at broad humor, and slapstick, that don't really work with some of the same things the film does well, like its main character quick-witted delivery and some really good dialogue. The film is amateurishly shot and directed, the cinematography isn't particularly outstanding. The poster itself looks like it was done for less than $20. Not that that has any relevance on how the film turned out, but it's clear this film didn't really have the biggest budget to get the best director, and cinematographer, possible. With that said, I'd say this film was fun. The story is goofy, it has no pretentious of grandeur and that's always a positive in my book. If it was pretending to be something it wasn't, like the next coming of Monty Python, then it'd be easy to point and laugh at the absurdity of the film trying to achieve that standard of greatness. But it doesn't, and that makes the film far easier, and fun, to watch even if it's not a perfect, or even good, film. Yes, you can have fun with a film that you find average overall. This is taking everything into consideration from writing, acting, directing, cinematography, score, etc. So I wouldn't say it's a good film, so therefore I can't really recommend it, I enjoyed myself watching this film. It's 90 minutes of pure silliness, with some moments of greatness here and there.

• May 04, 2014

A whole bunch of convoluted madcap. Silly, but perhaps not stupid enough for fans of the genre. Their loss.

• Mar 28, 2014

A mostly entertaining crime caper despite some typecast performances and a large dollop of hokum.

• Jan 22, 2013

Not particularly clever or funny, but I really came around to like those characters. Wonderful ensemble. They make this otherwise passable heist film worthwhile.