Pink Cadillac Reviews

• Phil H Super Reviewer
    Jul 02, 2019

In the long long long filmography of the mighty Clint Eastwood, this has to be one of the most unusual. Unusual in the fact that whilst watching it you're wondering just why the hell he agreed to star in it (other than lots of money obviously). In short, this movie is absolute hot garbage, red hot trash, and I'm not being funny. It's just odd because this is Clint we're talking about and this movie really is [b]that[/b] bad. So basically, Lou Ann (Bernadette Peters) is white trash living in a trailer park (yep the stereotypes come thick n fast here). Her other half Roy (Timothy Carhart) is a member of a white supremacist group (perfect political commentary for this modern age as everyone loves white supremacists these days). The group has a large sum of counterfeit money (turns out to be real but that matters not one jot in the grand scheme of things) which Roy is supposed to look after. Alas he gets busted and Lou Ann takes the fall. Feeling somewhat fed up Lou Ann does a runner in Roy's pink Cadillac (ah ha!) which is exactly where he stores the loot (see where this is going yet?). So Roy and his nasty white male friends go after her. At the same time Tommy Nowak (Eastwood) is hired to track down Lou Ann and bring her back to Sacramento (I think it was) cos she skipped bail. Naturally Tommy finds her but falls in love and ends up helping her yadda yadda yadda. Oh and there's also a baby involved which probably would have been killed by the end of this story considering all the danger. OK so firstly Clint is clearly too old in this movie. He was too old way before this but its really showing here. Yeah he looks sort of OK but he can barely move with any speed and its painfully obvious in all action sequences which don't involve simply standing still and punching someone. There are far too many obvious stunt double moments and one sequence where Tommy runs after this other guy in downtown Reno (unfortunately an aged fat bloke) is hilariously awful looking. Both guys are [b]clearly[/b] running at a snails pace and [b]clearly[/b[ having trouble at that! It really does look very very bad. The very first time we see Tommy bust some criminal he's been hired to track is also really stupid. Tommy is supposedly a master of disguise (oh yes) and he goes to this huge amount of trouble to set this criminal up. But in a wholly idiotic move he reveals himself to the criminal [b]before[/b] he gets the guy fully in his car. This of course leads to a fight which totally could have been avoided. Now let's focus on Tommy and his disguises, and by that I mean Clint and his God awful acting. Yep Clint can do the steely-eyed, somewhat muted tough guy, but sure as hell can't do comedy. The scene where he's pretending to be some kind of brash casino contest host is pure cringe, 100% face behind your hands cringe. Later on he then pretends to be a slack-jawed yokel type, oh Jesus! But wait, that's not all. The movie is titled 'Pink Cadillac' after the car they use for most of the runtime. This is completely pointless though because they could have used any car, it really didn't make a blind bit of difference. I guess it just sounded kinda cool. Much of the movie is set in Reno which I have been to and here lies another problem. Reno is a small city, the main casino strip is actually very small, just two or three rather short streets that don't actually have that many casinos (as of 2019). So it's pretty clear they must have driven around in circles to make the car chases and in-car shots look good. And then we have the bad guys, oh boy. Now these guys are your stereotypical gun wielding, redneck, yeehaw yokels that seemingly do nothing all day but get drunk and fire guns in their homemade firing range. They all dress as you'd expect in military fatigues or jeans with big belt buckles, and they all have guns, knives, and big 4x4 trucks. Their homemade base is just like some Scout camping activity centre complete with a fake town to run around in and shoot guns. And their leader Alex (Michael Des Barres) is a short scrawny little guy with a greasy ponytail. The bad guys literally look like a bunch of dads at Scout camp trying to look cool. Yeah so this movie will probably pan out exactly as you might expect...except for one thing, we don't actually know what happens to most of the characters at the end. Yes believe it or not but this movie isn't that violent. In fact you hardly see any bad guys getting killed at all. I would have bet my bottom Dollar on some of the arsehole baddies getting killed off but nope. But referring back to my original point, we don't actually find out what happens to most of the bad guys. Do they simply stop being supremacists? Or do they even live? Dunno. Same goes for Lou Ann's other half Roy who is a main character. No clue what happens to him. The movie just ends after a car chase just as you were expecting the boss to get killed, did he? You just hear the sound effects of a car crashing (low budget? Lack of time?). So yeah, a cheap looking pile of poo basically. The final showdown really highlights how poor this movie is. It's like a TV show. The only plus point that I can think of was the nice locations and backdrops. It feels like an ill-conceived comedy spin-off from the [i]Dirty Harry[/i] franchise. A huge misfire trying to ride the coattails of another Clint hit.

• Dec 10, 2018

Eastwood plays Tommy Nowak, a skip tracer in this movie. This is a person who works for a bail bondsman in order to track down folks who ran away to avoid prosecution...thus leaving the bondsman with a huge debt. He's really good at what he does and is very clever in order to catch these people...which is why what he does with Lu Ann McGuinn (Bernadette Peters) makes very little sense. In her case, for once, her tears and request for his help after she's captured makes little sense--especially since she is on the run from the law AND already lied to him and escaped from him already. However, the pair go off on an adventure to see her baby before she is turned in...and along the way the sleaze-bag husband and his Neo-Nazi friends show up and Nowak must contend with them. This is one of Clnt's rare misfires and one of the reasons critics do not consider his 80s output on par with earlier or after work that he did.

• Sep 26, 2017

Quite average but as usual, Clint Eastwood is the kicker.

Quite average but as usual, Clint Eastwood is the kicker.

• May 07, 2016

Pink Cadillac is a disappointing film. It is about Tommy Nowak who is tracking Lou Ann McGuinn for a bail bondsman in California. Clint Eastwood and Bernadette Peters give horrible performances. The script is badly written. Buddy Van Horn did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.

• May 08, 2015

I'm just a delivery boy. Tommy Nowak is a bounty hunter of sorts that tracks down individuals that skip bail and turn them in for rewards. He is given a case that requires him to bring back a single mom that is standing trial in place of her deadbeat boyfriend and his friends on counterfeit money charges. Tommy may have a soft heart and tries to help her out. "I don't feel the fear of God is nearly good enough." Buddy Van Horn, director of Any Which Way you Can and Dead Pool, delivers Pink Cadillac. The storyline for this picture is pretty average and just okay but the characters are interesting. The acting was very good and the cast includes Clint Eastwood, Bernadette Peters, Bill Moseley, Geoffrey Lewis, and William Hickey. "He's so good he has to die." Pink Cadillac is a movie I came across on HBOGO and wanted to watch again for the first time in a long time. This was always just okay to me. I enjoy the feel of the film and the characters and the awkward situations they find themselves in. This is a fun movie to watch but nothing special overall. "Some scenes too intense for younger viewers." Grade: C

• Apr 18, 2015

One of Eastwood's worst movies and the damn thing wouldn't end.

One of Eastwood's worst movies and the damn thing wouldn't end.

• Feb 16, 2015

Clint Eastwood as a bounty hunter being chased by Nazis in this farfetched comedy.

• Jun 16, 2014

Just straight up weird and confusing. Not really the greatest Clint Eastwood movie

• Nov 12, 2013

Clint Eastwood is brilliant but this is not one of his better films. An early role for Jim Carrey even though he is only on screen for 30 secs and his name in the credits is James Carrey.

• May 01, 2013

Definitely not one of Eastwood's best but still entertaining but only half as good as most of his great films. Watchable but still ok along with Clint's stories getting wackier and wackier.