Pirate Radio (The Boat That Rocked) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pirate Radio (The Boat That Rocked) Reviews

April 8, 2016
Wonderful and passionate
March 17, 2016
Another one of Richard Curtis's charms, surprising not a Rom-com but it still has romance fixed in this ensemble of a film, with a amazing selection of cast, from Hollywood legend of Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Brit film royalty of Bill Nighy, Rhys Ifans and Nick Frost, Brit sitcom regulars Chris O'Dowd and Katherine Parkinson (happens to both be in the same show) and plenty more to delight a amazed audience, lets go back to when music was at its peak and explore Pirate Radio in such a charmful 60's based Comedy Drama about coming of age, the fight of shutting Pirate radio down and go into see these men fuck around doing what they love most, Play music, have sex, smoke and live how they want to, this film is a true charm and a real tribute to music from the swinging sixes to on-wards.
August 10, 2015
Revolution. Attitude. Sex. Nudity. Liberation. Drugs and MUSIC, embrace the swinging 60's.

Over 40 years ago, a rebellion against the government-sanctioned monopoly on incomprehensibly jazz favourable BBC radio was teetering. Pirate radio stations from Germany and France broadcasted Rock and Roll bringing with it distension from the powers but nothing could be done due to international law...

However in 1964, anchored one mile outside the UK's international waters line, the first fully English speaking station Radio Caroline took to the air. Streaming 24/7 and captivating over 25 million eager listeners by 1966, trash talking, morally lose and uncensored DJ's paved the way to free listening for an entire generation.

This is that elusive wonderfully fun and interesting film I have been waiting for, who would have believed it would come in the form of a baby boomers nostalgia comedy that pays homage to the wild days of British pirate radio?

Loosely based on Radio Caroline, The boat that rocked is that truly fun and wonderful film that has evaded me these last few months. It is a simple, fun and delightfully embellished story frivolously stretching its poetic licence to create an joyously entertaining story.

This outrageous nostalgia comedy pays homage to the baby boomers and the pioneering wild days of British pirate radio. The relatable topic opens the door for baby boomers and generation Y's to actually enjoy the same film at the same time.

When virginal college student Carl (Tom Sturridge) is expelled from school, his somewhat misguided mother (Emma Thompson, who sadly only had a very small role) sends him to live with his godfather Quentin (Bill Nighy) an eccentric radio station boss who after doing too many drug for too many years seems to be missing a decade (not the smartest move mum).

Anchored just outside international waters on a rusty old fishing trawler, Quentin and his boat full of dope-smoking, sex starved vinyl-spinners illegally broadcast Britain's first complete rock and roll radio station, RADIO ROCK!.

Amongst the bizarre eclectic crew is 'tubby Dave' (Nick Frost) who fancies himself as a ladies' man (poor deluded soul); spacey 'Thick Kevin' (Tom Brooke); melancholy Irishman Simon (Chris O'Dowd); silent Fabio 'Midnight Mark' (Tom Wisdom); the only permanent female aboard, lesbian Felicity (Katherine Parkinson) and 'the Count' (Oscar winner Phillip Seymour Hoffman) a big brash Yank who wants to be the first person to ever use the f word on British radio.

When the radio station begins to publicise 'the Count's' intentions, Government intervention and termination is imminent. Believing the station is leading society into anarchy and depravity, fanatically traditional Minister Dormandy (Kenneth Branagh) with the help of his assistant Twatt (Jack Davenport) are out for blood against the drug takers and lawbreakers of a once-great nation.

Brought back to further stir the pot to boiling point both on the boat and off is perverted DJ extraordinaire Gavin (Ryhs Infans), known for his ability to introduce the music whilst making sweet love to the microphone. Is Dormandy the only one hell bent on ending Radio Rock or are the boats inhabitants determined to drive on their own collision course?

Although there is a distinct lack of coherent storyline and the film is uncharacteristically long for the genre, who really cares? Time and story are irrelevant when the score featuring the Kinks, the Hollies, the Who and Hendrix (just to name a few) with their encompassing trailblazing songs even young moviegoers recognisable (people literally broke into spontaneous song, regardless of others protests).

Reminiscent of classic British TV sitcoms, romcom director Richard Curtis (Love actually, Noting Hill) brings together one of the longest and strongest wonderful ensemble cast. Not only are there too many to mention, but none seem to get enough screen time.

As usual I took some companions to the viewing, this time my mother and father. As both are British and were 15 during the time of Radio Caroline's peak, it was delightfully relevant and so close to their recollections of the time. The opening montage with dozens of snapshots of 60's Britain with teens trying to be heard listening to hidden under pillows transistor radio's rekindled their distant memories.

Verdict: If you have ever tried to understand your baby boomer parents but just couldn't get hip to their jiggy, see this film. I have never understood more, or realised just how cool oldies can be. My advice, call mum or dad and go have some fun "All day and all of the night".

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 17/04/2009
February 23, 2016
I really liked this movie, would 100% recommend
December 2, 2009
groovy as he'll but a strange ending. one for the hippies and fans of the swinging sixties. great british film.

9/10
February 6, 2016
this movie is awesome! being 60 years old, I was around when this time period occurred, and this brought back so many great memories. I bought the better import version in Blu-Ray, and not only have watched it 10 times now, I even bought the soundtrack on CD, and listen to that often in my car!
February 6, 2016
This film was very...interesting to watch, the music was great so its a great soundtrack, the casting was as usual great, the film was slightly long but it was worth the watch
December 30, 2015
In danger of being a collection of contrived sequences to create a story, but has enough heart and humour to carry it, plus a rip-roaring soundtrack helps.
November 2, 2015
Amazing movie! Just awesome! Really interesting story behind it, amazing cast, nice scenario and lots and lots of laughs! The soundtrack of the movie may as well be among one of the best of all times! I am already looking for the OST to listen to it.

I liked the ending, so much, especially when the tragedy was avoided and especially when the Count survived, even if it looked like a long shot! Pretty girls, nerds, music, humor... What else do you need to have a good time?

One of the best music-related movies of all times! Up there with the Solist, Pianist, Legend of 1900, etc.
½ October 28, 2015
Surprisingly amusing film that is actually full of a bunch of people I've heard of....and you can dance to it!
½ September 8, 2015
With an brilliant cast, a wonderfully nostalgic soundtrack, and a history lesson to boot, The Boat That Rocked never fails to put a smile on my face.
½ August 14, 2015
Excellent soundtrack, good performances, poor character development.
August 10, 2015
Unbelievable. This is one of the nicest movies of all times ! But then again. It is all a matter of taste....
½ August 5, 2015
Completely void of any of the charm or likability of most Richard Curtis films. The only reason is checked this out is because he directed it, but that was a big mistake. Without a doubt, one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
November 30, 2008
My sister is an extra!! :D
July 6, 2015
This film is not intended to be historical - it is not about Radio Caroline. It is nothing but a sit-com on a boat with a Sixties sound-track. It is a critique of censorship, it has that much going for it, although its criticism of British radio for not having pop music does sort of ignore the vinyl record market. In fact, thinking back, I remember hearing a lot of pop music on the radio in the mid Sixties (I'm pretty sure my parents never played Caroline!). Instead of Curtis's trademark romance we have bedroom farce inferior to any of the bedroom farces that were made in the Sixties. Tony Benn under Harold Wilson put an end to pirate radio. And again, if you want history, most the of the Caroline DJs then went over to radio 1. This film has (for laughs) Kenneth Branagh playing the man responsible as though he were Anthony Eden's most uptight minister (the stick up his arse has got a stick up its arse). Bizarrely the ending is very impressive and makes Titanic look like Carry on Sailing, which makes me almost weep for what the film could have been if Curtis's talent hadn't died with Captain Edmund Blackadder. But Curtis's comedy and romance have been, to me, lamer than Stephen Hawking since I saw 4 Weddings in 1994. If you think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread, then you'll probably love this movie.
½ June 20, 2015
quite enjoyed it, makes some interesting points about what was really happening at the time and many of the scenes were based on true story so you get a flavour of the times even if it is just a made up plot.. Suprising many kept going till the 90's as their influence had waned in the 70's and pirate stations had taken to being mobile on land. It's mis titled as a comedy, it has little in that respect but some scenes can make you smile if not laugh. drama , musical, romance, not really any of those either more a period piece to give a flavour of being young if you were not around in those times.
June 6, 2015
za site rokerishta :)

May 16, 2015
Lets just say I was curious; I browse iTunes from time to time for 60s tunes that time may have forgotten, like featured songs by The Kinks (All Day and All of the Night) or John Fred & His Playboy Band (Judy in Disguise with Glasses). Well time seems to have forgotten this films story, which came as a complete (and pleasant) surprise. I love Philip Seymour Hoffman - is one of the great character actors of today and his role here is akin to his role as Lester Bangs in Almost Famous. Rhys Ifans and Bill Nighy should find their equivalent to the Coen Brothers in Britain because they are a riot in a quirky and understated way. The film had great one-liners, but became confusing and hard to follow near the end. Also, I did not care for the nearly 2 hour investment. Pirate Radio is a good story with music to die for (hint), just not 2 hours worth.
November 9, 2009
yes....definitely going to see this.