Pistol Opera Reviews

• Nov 28, 2013

"Pistol Opera" me recordó, en su puesta en escena, al teatro Kabuki, exagerando las emociones de sus personajes a través de encuentros en escenarios estilizados. La película contiene una vaga semblanza de narrativa, enfocándose en un gremio de asesinos y un complot para irse deshaciendo de cada uno de ellos. "Pistol Opera" es una interesante propuesta experimental japonesa cargada de simbolismo y acompañada de un extraño soundtrack. Recomendable.

• Mar 07, 2013

This is easily the worst, most confusing movie I've seen in quite some time. "Miyuki Minazuki" (Makiko Esumi), known professionally as "Stray Cat", is part of the Assassin's Guild, and ranked #3 in it. She is given the job to kill the top assassin in the guild, known as "Hundred Eyes", and takes it. This movie is very hard to follow, especially if you must use subtitles if you can't find a dubbed version. The acting is horrible. Many times, the actors are overly dramatic, and act as if they should be on stage. There is a lot of rambling monologues that are quite confusing. None of the actors had any chemistry and appeared to be forced to work together on screen. As for the camera work, it's not perfect. There are some shots with pans that are too dramatic and make no sense. Other shots are real good, and help with the story on a visual level. For the subject of the story, there is very little violence and no blood in this movie. There is even little gun play in the film. Violence is kept to a minimum as well. The soundtrack is forgettable. It reminded me of music heard in movies from the 1970's. I didn't feel that the music helped enhance the scenes at all. There are some interesting visuals in this movie. At times I felt as if I was watching a stage play. A few times, the camera work helped enhance the scenes, but most of the time the shots were real typical. This movie lacked the ability to keep my attention through out. I caught myself looking away from my computer screen numerous times because I was completely bored with the movie. I watched this movie on Hulu, and got even more confused when my screen saver popped up. It was a hard movie to follow, especially since I had to read English subtitles. I really had a hard time following what was going on in this movie because my attention was focused on the bottom of the screen. It may have been the translation, but the dialog was pretty confusing at times, and I couldn't understand what was going on. Unless you are into this type of movie, I have to say skip it. It isn't for every one.

• Nov 16, 2012

Il film che ha ispirato Kill Bill. Suzuki si evolve andando al di là del cinema di genere e facendo un abile remake di se stesso. Una storia di sicari dove è evidenziata al meglio la visionarietà giapponese.

• Oct 06, 2012

Not being familiar with traditional opera, I may have missed some references - but this movie ultimately was just bewildering - unraveling as it progressed.

• Mar 28, 2012

An artfully crafted mess. I can't say why I liked it, but I did

An artfully crafted mess. I can't say why I liked it, but I did

• Feb 12, 2012

This is like a free association comic book with live action panels. An assassin kills her way to become No. 1. The third act was surprisingly affecting after getting used to the style as we begin to realize the consequences. I'll probably never watch this movie again unless drunk, or with commentary, as there is a lot happening that probably needs an academic or cultural explanation to catch. I would like to see more movies like this with a larger production, but that's very unlikely.

• Sep 20, 2011

As usual in artsy flicks, brain kills a little of the passion; but, unlike other artsy flicks, there is a noir and weird twist that keeps you entertained rather than sharing the suicidal tendencies of all the chicks in the movie. More theater and plastics and painted fresco than movie, but not-so-bad. There are pistols, after all.

• Sep 05, 2011

Too much emphasis on a stupid plot to be a successful avant garde film and too avant garde to be any kind of an action movie. Beautiful to look at. Tons of interesting ideas. Boring. Over-long. The climax is like the most bizarre version of "Man with the Golden Gun" imaginable.

• Jan 31, 2011

Very random and very weird. The language barrier didn't bother me too much, but I did feel like I was definitely missing something. Perhaps the Japanese definition of "Opera" is different from what I would consider it . . . they probably model it more toward the over-exaggerated Kabuki theater, which would actually explain a lot about this movie.

• Oct 16, 2010

Interesting flick, filmed as a surreal play. Bizarre, captivating, beautiful.

Interesting flick, filmed as a surreal play. Bizarre, captivating, beautiful.