Pleasantville Reviews

• 17h ago

the metaphor here is simple, yet is truly powerful. All in all this movie was a gem

• Jul 06, 2020

Pleasantville is a really great fantasy comedy about two siblings being sucked into a 1950's television show where they bring everything to life and creates conflicts accidentally completely changing the town for better... or for worse?

• Jul 06, 2020

The ending never sat well with me, nor the ever changing therms but there is a lot to like here.

• Jun 28, 2020

This movie is a visual masterpiece with fantastic writing and a great cast. I love a Jeff Daniels role that makes forget he was in Dumb and Dumber. Of course Tobey Maquire and Reese Witherspoon own their leading roles, but the powerful yet subtle acting of Don Knotts, Macy, Walsh, Allen and even Mary Shelton really deliver the picture. It takes a little perception to work out what's actually happening between the delicate balance of Pleasantville and it's colorization, but those who can see it will really appreciate this movie. All the manipulation of the show writing tropes leads to a truly fantastic moment of coloration. It's been a great movie since the late 90s, it's timeless because it was set in the past when it was made, and I will definitely be watching this again sometime.

• Mar 23, 2020

Quaint and an innocent retrospective look at the 1950's.

Quaint and an innocent retrospective look at the 1950's.

• Nov 09, 2019

True originality! One of my favorite movies from the 90s

True originality! One of my favorite movies from the 90s

• Oct 12, 2019

Masterpiece. Made the top ten list of 90s films. Black and white 1950s people turn "colored" as they discover new things they aspire for: art, reading, intellectual pursuits. Open-mindedness instead of empty-headed conformity to authority. The authorities are violently upset that the citizenry are learning and becoming more intelligent, thus insuring that this learning will never allow them to go back and become empty headed conformists again. The authorities in black and white are not evil people, they are afraid of change and fear opening their mind to the truth after spending their entire lives in ignorance. A must-see movie. A unique and invigorating concept for films.

• Jul 15, 2019

beautiful film that teaches us that the perfect world does not exist and that you can not live in black and white but you have to live in color, that is, you have to make mistakes and feel different emotions, you have to change and not always live the same life

• Jun 23, 2019

Surprisingly, it works on so many levels. It manages to be quite the social commentary, despite its lightheartedness.

• Mar 23, 2019

Though its a strange and illogical concept with one character I hate, "Repairman". This film does breathes in a great amount of fresh air. The visuals are absolutely breathtaking with its blend of color and black/white. It creates a great amount of charm and comedy into its solid performances. But mostly, its rich in character development and showing how change is significant in a persons life. Its a great film.