POM Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

POM Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold Reviews

February 24, 2017
Yep. He is definitely selling out. But what a spectacular way of doing so! It's kinda hard not to admire.

(However, I do admit that I am the kind of person who don't think of selling out as a bad thing. I want to get in advertising for a reason. Woo! Capitalism!)
November 25, 2016
Well done. To begin with I was unsure it would hit the mark, but it turns out that it does. Hats off to the companies who invested as well.
July 19, 2016
The most meta movie ever made.
December 23, 2015
A big advertisement that fails to show what's so rotten about the ad business.
December 8, 2015
I think I am one of the few who didn't see Spurlock's film on McDonalds. The concept is interesting but the execution seems to be marred by the product placement which serves as the central premise of the film. A better approach would have been an arm's length discussion of this issue.
August 16, 2015
Even if you're not into documentaries, it is interesting to see who all pops up in this, and seeing how product placement in movies actually works.
June 30, 2015
Once again Morgan Spurlock does an informative and highly entertaining documentary
May 27, 2015
Shows the extremes companies will go to, to see their product placed. Great documentary.
½ January 16, 2015
Great movie had a good point to it. everyone should really see this movie
½ November 7, 2014
Entertainingly meta in structure and far slicker than Supersize Me.
½ October 6, 2014
"Pom Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold" is an unusual film in the sense that while you're watching it, the film feels like a behind the scenes feature. It's a movie about branding, marketing and advertising in which our hero, Morgan Spurlock of "Supersize Me" fame tries to gather sponsorship for the film that you are watching. The film often takes a break to explain to you how a process is going to work or how wonderful this product or brand is in a gleefully self-aware manner. The fact that it feels like a behind-the-scenes feature is not a bad thing then, but the entire point of the movie. It's an experience that's quite unique. Morgan Spurlock's enthusiasm and charisma are more than enough to keep you interested as he struggles against all of the problems related to branding, marketing and advertising while his movie is being put together before our eyes. It also has some interesting information to divulge on the subject to balances out the personal hardships that make up most of the film. It isn't terribly insightful about how branding, marketing and advertising affect people on a day to day basis but the film isn't really about that. There are more insightful movies about the subject out there somewhere I'm sure, so if that's what you're looking for you may be disappointed. If you're a fan of his or if you're curious about the subject, or even documentary making, there's a lot to like here. (Dvd, September 30, 2012)
September 21, 2014
I kind of want a POM now. That was pretty boring.
August 10, 2014
The film is perhaps too light-hearted and not as cutting as it needs to be but it retains its message throughout, albeit to different extents.
July 31, 2014
I guess the main question Spurlock had when making this movie was "How can I not get sued for making this movie?" since everything is very safe in this movie. He doesn't attack branding in any way. In fact, he joins in on the fun and makes the entire movie one ginormous ad.
I appreciate this movie since it gets its points across without going overboard. Sure, some parts are more interesting than others, but this movie makes you think- and that's important when making a documentary. When Spurlock asks these companies to do certain things in the movie, at first you think "Man, that is a ridiculous idea! Who would do that?". Then they actually go through with it.

The movie makes you think about how simple these concepts of advertising are, and how few people actually notice them. Companies pay movies to have their product involved in almost any way possible. The random advertisements in this movie were also a nice touch and helped prove this point.

So overall, this movie was pretty informative, despite being boring at some points. There is some fun to be had in this documentary. I was sold by the concept and it delivered.

6/10 Good
July 5, 2014
Super size me 2 may not have been as inspiring as the first, but that didn't stop me from picking up a # 8 with large 'Mc fries' and 'Mc drink', mmm! *Spoiler alert* now I feel like 'Mc shit'.
½ June 19, 2014
A rare misfire from Spurlock.
June 12, 2014
While I Do Like Spurlock A Lot, This Doc Was A Little Less Inspired Than His Previous Attempt.
June 7, 2014
If Spurlock's thesis is at all proven, it's in the sloppiest and least involving way possible. This is a movie about the over-usage of advertisement, and one that never goes further than stating the most obvious conclusion that a man like Spurlock could ever come to: Who cares? Let's make some money.
½ May 30, 2014
just about my favorite documentary film maker. fresh funny intelligent and thought provoking, morgan spurlock. shows an in depth look at the world of marketing and promotion especially in the area of film. I recommend it.
May 30, 2014
I'm surprised this doesn't have a higher rating. Despite the couple of f-bombs and sexual suggestiveness, I thought this movie really "drew back the curtain" on product marketing in films, while also admitting some of inevitability of it all. Spurlock figures out a way to lampoon people on both sides of the issue as he helps you get a better understanding of what goes on.