Pot o' Gold Reviews

good chemistry between the leads, Stewart & Goddard

good chemistry between the leads, Stewart & Goddard

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Apr 13, 2015

In this unhappy experiment everyone (but unhappy people) are in on the groove of hep music (which was swing music at the time). It's as uncomfortable to watch as imagining your Grandmother rapping ("Yeah, baby, yeah! Go cat, go!"), and maybe more so. I couldn't make it through it. Maybe you'll do better.

• Dec 13, 2014

the always lovely James Stewart couldnt do no wrong :)

the always lovely James Stewart couldnt do no wrong :)

• Nov 16, 2014

Absolutely wonderful, charming sleeper of a musical comedy. It is a favorite of our whole family (including nine kids)!

• Aug 30, 2014

What stood out to me and I was really impressed with was that music quality and performances were outstanding. I was surprised when the music boarding house helped out a stranger based upon his performance with a harmonica so much so they were giving Jimmy Stewart a place to live and sacrificing all their musical instruments to be sold off in order to pay for Jimmy Stewart's bail out of jail. I also thought the opening scene stood out as memorable when Jimmy Stewart and his acting uncle tried to have a discussion in the loudest musical room in the building. I really liked the film and was extremely impressed with the musical talent in the film. The music is excellent. The scene at the dinner table is the most impressive scene out of the film to sync the actions so well with the exact timing to the movements. It is a very complex movement for so manny people in the film. What I like most is the way they use the music. It is not presented in a cheesy way where people are just singing to sing but there singing and playing for a reason. This film is also funny. It is ironic how Jimmy Stewarts uncle is almost a complete opposite of Jimmy Stewarts character. His uncle is a wealthy business man, despises music, and has few friends where as Jimmy Stewarts character is in debt, loves music with a talent for the harmonica, and has many friends.

• Sep 30, 2011

Spirited comedy which is easy to watch.

Spirited comedy which is easy to watch.

• Aug 26, 2011

Fun and silly Jimmy Stewart(!) musical. The dinner table musical number's pretty good.

• Apr 26, 2011

Sweet and funny. It's always lovely to see a movie with James Stewart in it.

Sweet and funny. It's always lovely to see a movie with James Stewart in it.

• Mar 01, 2011

James Stewart is by far one of my favorite 'old school' actors. I must admit i had no idea this was a musical, if I had i wouldn't have watched it, because generally speaking i LOATHE musicals...but this movie was 4.5 stars in my book. It was a wonderful feel good movie & it had a heartwarming story, wonderful dialogue & a great ending. Classic!

• Dec 28, 2009

Very formulaic old movie. The musical pieces were very well done though the storyline was a bit strained to fit all of them. Jimmy Stewart is his typical "bumbling" self and does the part to perfection. The conflict between families is laughable at best, but does not keep the movie from being very enjoyable. The love interest is a the same story found in so many other old movies. Overall, I found it quite enjoyable to watch.