Prefontaine Reviews

• Sep 03, 2018

"Considered to be Jared Leto's breakthrough role... now you understand why he's Oscar worthy."

• Clintus M Super Reviewer
    Jul 14, 2017

Some have criticized "Prefontaine" as too bland, colorless, akin to a tv movie. Those people probably hated Rocky, The Karate Kid, and The Natural too. No, this is a well-made film, inspirational, and also received two thumbs up from Siskel and Ebert. Much of the story is told as flashbacks by the people in his life, long after his death--mother, father, girlfriends, and coaches. As opposed to the Warner Brothers bio of Steve Prefontaine "Without Limits," this film makes more use of other people in "Pre's" life, especially his parents and his high-school girlfriend. No one could fault either actors' performance as the iconic "Pre." Both actors bear an uncanny resemblance to the real man, even his upright running style. Analyzing the Olympic scenes of both the real guy and the actor, its hard to distinguish the two. Prefontaine spends more time on the Olympic hostage crisis, a good lesson for those who may have forgotten or never knew what happened there. One amusing difference between the two films is the explanation for how Pre hurt his foot (requiring stiches) on the eve of his first NCAA championship meet. In "Without Limits" it resulted from some acrobatic sex with a local girl, while it was a foolish swimming stunt in "Prefontaine." Any critic must recognize "Prefontaine" as an example of the great work Jared Leto has created since this film. His version of Pre is more combative, determined than Billy Crudup's. He's not trying to win any popularity contests, although both films stress Pre's confrontational attitude with those governing amateur American athletics at the time. The film is about fighting the establishment and hypocrisy but even more about single-minded determination and not allowing any limitation to stand in the way of achievement. Lesson for life both films drive home: While winning is important, giving every things you have every second is more important. Pre was quoted prior to competing in the 5,000 meter race at the the Munich Olympics: "if it's a guts race, I'm the only one that can win." I hope the folks at The University of Oregon appreciate this film; it's a testanment to the greatness not only of Pre but also Bill Bowerman, and the whole track program. I know it sold me as the preeminent track school, the gateway to Olympic gold. It is hard to imagine such a monumental cultural impact on sport and culture coming from a track athlete, but it really happened-Nike co-founder Phil Knight compared him to Muhammed Ali, and the obvious comparison is to actor James Dean. I highly recommend this film to track and field fans and also movie-lovers who cherish true-life inspirational stories.

• Jun 03, 2017

It doesn't feel quite as impacting as another Steve Prefontaine movie I like known as Without Limits, but this one is still fairly and uniquely crafted and well commemorates the American runner.

• Apr 14, 2017

A nicely crafted docudrama that just doesn't work because of the sleaziness of its egomaniacal protagonist.

• Sep 04, 2016

Jared Leto. ������

Jared Leto. ������

• Jun 08, 2016

got me running soon after watching with new found inspiration. I love it!

got me running soon after watching with new found inspiration. I love it!

• May 30, 2015

great film,very consistent plot,most importantly,showed all the highlights of Steve Prefontaine's life.great perfomance by Jared Leto.

• May 18, 2015

good bio-pic/sports drama

good bio-pic/sports drama

• May 10, 2015

Leno shows his chops as he carries this clunker to the finish line.

Leno shows his chops as he carries this clunker to the finish line.

• Nov 07, 2014

While Leto is charismatic and engaging as Prefontaine, the film never really takes off, and turns out to be a formulaic approach to a biopic. Even though this film beat Without Limits to the screens, it wasn't about the sprint, but the distance, and Without Limits went much further in satisfaction.