The Presidio Reviews

• Jul 24, 2017

loved it, they don't make movies like that any more

loved it, they don't make movies like that any more

• Apr 07, 2017

This Peter Hyams directed action thriller is the second collaboration between Hyams and Connery with Outland being their first collaboration and though this film isn't as good as that one it is still solid. The three leads work well together and are more than competent, the action is superb (especially the opening car chase), the plot is fun enough, I like the setting and the score is decent. Just a shame it is cliched to the hilt, not all that deep and could have had a far better script.

• Jan 15, 2017

As much as I like Sean Connery, this movie is certainly not one of his best. He does well in it, but the story is boring and moves at a slow pace. It just never got me to invest myself into the characters, so I would say that this one is safe to skip.

• Aug 17, 2016

An imperfect and dated, but nevertheless entertaining action mystery.

An imperfect and dated, but nevertheless entertaining action mystery.

• May 18, 2016

Peter Hyams has been a steady hand at directing well-executed suspense thrillers- sometimes overtly (Sudden Death, Timecop), or less overtly (Capricorn One, The Star Chamber). Here, Hyams knack for muted tension is his undoing. I never got into the story, or what the characters were going after. And both the chase scenes and fight scenes were pretty underwhelming, given that they could've been done under a director with a better eye for action, like John Frankenheimer or James Glickenhaus. There is a pointless plot, that's either a subplot or co-plot involving Meg Ryan stuck in the middle between her father (Connery), and her love interest (Harmon). This also wasn't very interesting given they never seemed really engaged with each other. One of the only good moments of this film is Connery's drunk monologue on top an apartment building, where he talks about his role as an officer and his experiences as a little boy coming to America; this one of the only few genuine moments. I feel like if the film had more of these bits of insight, it could've been something a little more than just a routine San Francisco Police Procedural.

• Nov 08, 2015

a good crime movie filmed in San Francisco Sean Connery gives a good performance.

• Apr 27, 2015

I saw this for the first time some 27 years ago. Today I chose it mainly because of SF, Mark Harmon (young!), Sean Connery (rugged!) and Meg Ryan (before the new NOT improved lips). Well, might as well have skipped it. rather waste of my time. Although my memories of the fog over presidio graves was accurate. Funny how some things remain in the mind year after year.

• Apr 15, 2015

A very average thriller that's pace fells all wrong.Connery is his usual gruff self but surprisingly Harmon's up to the challenge.of an average performance.For Harmon that's good.

• Oct 07, 2014

A cheesy at times, decent little thriller.

A cheesy at times, decent little thriller.