The Producers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Producers Reviews

October 1, 2017
A remake of the 1968 original. Matthew Broderick is no match for a cast that starred Zero Mostel. Best parts are the songs from "Springtime with Hitler in Germany."
September 24, 2017
Despite feeling more like a play than a film, all of the acting is quite good, particularly the always amazing Nathan Lane and the massively over the top Will Farrel.
August 1, 2017
The producers is hilarious, I liked it a lot
½ July 8, 2017
Unfortunately didn't hold up to the original.
April 15, 2017
This is my first review on this website and I felt the compulsion to see if you simple words about a film that I feel is truly a miracle. Having seen the original 1968 version 50 or more times in the course of my life comma and seeing Mel Brooks as a true honest-to-god hero of mine, I went to see the original touring company of the stage version of this musical at its first location stop in Cleveland Ohio. When I saw it on stage I thought I was witnessing a miracle. I still feel it's one of the most miraculous things that I have ever seen anywhere. When I saw that the film version was being made and so much that made the stage version successful was being transferred to the big screen, my anticipation was extremely high. At the same time, unfortunately, I was suffering The Lost and death of my father. Very little was really good that particular Christmas in 2005. This film miraculously made me laugh so hard I cried it was so funny. For that, I will always be indebted two mr. Brooks and Company. Of course I was disappointed with the film's reception by the critics, by the audiences, and at awards time. But in the long run these things don't matter. It's the film That does...
April 1, 2017
Fantastic! This movie is everything you would the original to be if it were a true musical. There's just more recognizable main characters. Only Gene Wilder is easily recognizable in the original, but here, there's Matthew Broderick, Uma Thurman and Will Ferrell, great and fresh cast. However, what makes it even better is the music, funnier dialogue and a more uplifting ending and just story. Even the whole song and dance of how Leo wants to become a producer and how Leo and Ulla hopelessly fall in love, and then throws his blanket away, that they're so relentlessly optimistic, you can't help but love them. Don't read this last part if you haven't seen it and don't want the ending spoiled: so of course, Max and Leo end up in jail, but they are eventually pardoned by the governor because of how much joy they bring to the prisoners due to Franz's new musical. They go on to become extremely successful Broadway Producers. That doesn't happen in the original, while the original is hysterical, it's just not that uplifting. I know I said no one could do what Gene Wilder at the time for the Mel Brooks version, but that was for the time. Matthew Broderick very effectively channels Gene Wilder. Nathan Lane is great, of course, but then again, anyone can do what Zero Mostel did. Highly recommended for fans of musicals, the original and anyone who enjoys endlessly optimistic, hilarious films.
December 25, 2016
A guilty pleasure for me. The cast obviously had fun with this movie.
½ December 18, 2016
Pas son meilleur, mais du bon vieux Mel Brooks.
August 28, 2016
A great theatrical release of a great musical adaptation of a great classic comedy. But even though this version might not be as good as the original, you'll want to show your kids this version or the musical first, because the scenes with the little old ladies aren't as extreme as in the original and so don't distract from the plot like they did in the first movie. If you want to see the musical, you should either watch a production with this cast or the 2010 production at Summit High School, New Jersey, because Michael Gorman's award-winning performance as Franz Liebkind was the best I'd ever seen for the character. There was also another Broadway production with Richard Kind as Max and Jafar as Roger De Bris, and I loved Jonathan Freeman's singing performances in The Producers, Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid, so I'd give that one a listen too, if you can find it.
August 21, 2016
A wonderfully witty and daring movie, commonly overlooked much to my dismay. There are few movies that are willing to put down the media while being part of the media. Sharp jokes, beautiful dance scenes and great performances make this movie an underrated gem. The theatrical feeling is rarely ever seen in movies. It's trying to look like a broadway musical. Nothing more and nothing less. It perfectly captures the feeling of the broadway musical. This is the ideal movie musical. It's funny, entertaining, engaging and fun. In films such as Chicago or Moulin Rouge, the broadway feeling is lost. So, this is a refreshing take on the ingenious musical. The direction is perfect and the performances are likable and the already lovable characters are made even better with songs to further development. It has a beautiful color pallet and less visual restrictions than the broadway musical. I believe that this is a underrated gem that should not be as overlooked as it is.
July 6, 2016
Though never having seen the stage production, since Mel Brooks' original film The Producers (1968) is one of the funniest comedies I've ever seen I thought that an adaptation of the musical with such a talented cast would be a satisfying experience.

There is consistently a feeling that The Producers is very much just a stage production filmed for the big screen. The entire film occurs within a select collection of locations which are mostly interiors that seem as if they have been stylised to form the shape of a stage production. The cinematography maintains this same kind of feeling because it presents itself in a style which is all too traditional, and the cast members frequently break through the fourth wall. There is no illusion of narrative in The Producers as everything is too frequently a reminder of a production that would have been superior on the stage. There's a certain guilty pleasure that theatrical aficionados may get out of the film, but for me it was too much of a stage production that wasn't making such an attempt to disguise itself as a film. If I wanted to see the stage production then I would, but I came in to see a film and certainly didn't feel like that's what I got from The Producers.
Even though the film is an adaptation of a stage production, a film must still maintain the virtues of a film. This means there must be character and story development, but The Producers doesn't see eye to eye with this prophecy. The feature is trapped in the nostalgia of the heyday of musical cinema; one of the earliest eras of cinema when popular cinema was all about showing off technical expertise more than anything. The Producers comes from 2005 when the standard for cinematic glory had reached the heights of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005). The Producers ultimately feels a little too simplistic for its own good, and this is understandable when considering the fact that director Susan Stroman made her cinematic directorial debut with The Producers after finding luck with the stage production of the same name. She is not yet suited to the world of cinema as she fails to explore the source material in an appropriately cinematic style. There is no denying that she brings energetic passion to the production, but it fails to justify the transition from stage to screen. By the end of the film I felt like I had been given an empty experience; one which was stylish but simply went nowhere. And 134 minutes of this is a little too much time to dedicate to content which is ultimately too little.
As far as the musical numbers go, The Producers certainly brings in a talented combination of cast and musicians. With multiple actors who came straight from the stage production and numerous talented new additions, The Producers manages to capture the perfect theme for its musical numbers through a talented assortment of singers. The orchestra manages to make a spirited contribution of support as well, so the songs come off very effectively. And the film boasts some visual strength even if the cinematography and stage structure aren't a part of them. It's the colourful costumes that really snag the viewer's eye, and they keep viewers enticed during the terrific dance numbers.
And the cast of The Producers certainly help to bring life to the experience.
Nathan Lane's leading performance is a terrific effort. The man's natural over-the-top persona brings theatrical flamboyance to the film which is frequently enough of a gimmick to disguise from the lack of character development. The man is perfectly camp and proudly self-obsessive in every inch of his body, and he shows it off through energetic dance moves and remarkable singing voice. Nathan Lane makes it clear that he was born to be a Broadway star because he steals the screen so very consistently throughout The Producers and never loses sight of his dedication to manic physical energy so he is a perfect lead.
Will Ferrell is also a striking presence. Though he hardly gets as much screen time as he deserves, the comic actor makes relentlessly over-the-top effort in The Producers. Playing true to the Nazi stereotype with merciless bumbling incompetence, Will Ferrell screams and shouts his character in a trajectory of self-confusion which is all too hilarious to witness. Refusing to break out of the stereotype of the character, Will Ferrell spirals into an endless pit of maniacal energy which lights up the screen with hilarious results. Will Ferrell's presence in The Producers is the most powerful of the entire supporting cast.
Uma Thurman's presence is just wonderful. While I once found her attempts at campy seduction in Batman & Robin (1997) to be truly pathetic, she is perfectly camp in The Producers. There are times where one might forget it is Uma Thurman as she is ridiculously airheaded in a manner she has never been before. With her high-pitched accent, magnificent singing voice and undeniable sex appeal, Uma Thurman proves that she is a truly talented actress in the art of comedy and musical theatre. Uma Thurman transitions into more theatrical roots which exceptional charm in The Producers, and it remains a very memorable performance from her filmography.
However, Matthew Broderick's performance would be far better suited for the stage than the screen. I like the actor and his many comic talents, but The Producers does not make proper use of them. We gather that the man has a talented knack for singing and dancing, but he is not exactly in tune for a film. His effort is too restrained to match up to the intentions of the film, and there is no feeling of distinctive charm from him. In fact, I spent the entire film just comparing his performance to the Academy Award-nominated effort of Gene Wilder when he first brought the part to the cinematic screen in 1968. Matthew Broderick's tone of voice fails to match up to his physical movements a lot of the time which just comes off as strange, so he fails to transition any better than the rest of the film.

The Producers boasts a talented cast, but its inability to even try and transcend its theatrical nature makes it an underdeveloped and simplistic narrative that should have remained on the stage.
June 26, 2016
This movie was okay.  Uma Thurman was nothing less than annoying but I don't think it was her fault.  That's just the way Ulla was written.  The songs were fabulous!  "Keep It Gay" and "Springtime for Hitler" were among my favorites.
½ April 29, 2016
It's energetic and funny but my problem with musicals is particular glaring in this one. Musical numbers interrupt the flow of the story and pad the length.
½ April 3, 2016
A very odd film. The humour is very over the top. But the songs are catchy, and once you get used to its oddness it's entertaining enough.
½ March 18, 2016
Really more of an adaptation of the Broadway Play than a stand alone movie.
March 13, 2016
This 2005 adaption comes way too close to Brooks original play but shines through its musical moments and its committed performances nonetheless .
February 7, 2016
My second attempt to watch this suceeded. Not a patch on the original, the hamness that made me turn it off the first time I saw it didn't get any easier to watch but I didn't think that Uma Thurman and Will Ferrell were very good.
½ February 2, 2016
GAH i want to see this SO BADLY!
½ February 2, 2016
one of the worst remakes, comedies and musicals of all time.