The Producers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Producers Reviews

August 28, 2016
A great theatrical release of a great musical adaptation of a great classic comedy. But even though this version might not be as good as the original, you'll want to show your kids this version or the musical first, because the scenes with the little old ladies aren't as extreme as in the original and so don't distract from the plot like they did in the first movie. If you want to see the musical, you should either watch a production with this cast or the 2010 production at Summit High School, New Jersey, because Michael Gorman's award-winning performance as Franz Liebkind was the best I'd ever seen for the character. There was also another Broadway production with Richard Kind as Max and Jafar as Roger De Bris, and I loved Jonathan Freeman's singing performances in The Producers, Aladdin, and The Little Mermaid, so I'd give that one a listen too, if you can find it.
August 21, 2016
A wonderfully witty and daring movie, commonly overlooked much to my dismay. There are few movies that are willing to put down the media while being part of the media. Sharp jokes, beautiful dance scenes and great performances make this movie an underrated gem. The theatrical feeling is rarely ever seen in movies. It's trying to look like a broadway musical. Nothing more and nothing less. It perfectly captures the feeling of the broadway musical. This is the ideal movie musical. It's funny, entertaining, engaging and fun. In films such as Chicago or Moulin Rouge, the broadway feeling is lost. So, this is a refreshing take on the ingenious musical. The direction is perfect and the performances are likable and the already lovable characters are made even better with songs to further development. It has a beautiful color pallet and less visual restrictions than the broadway musical. I believe that this is a underrated gem that should not be as overlooked as it is.
July 6, 2016
Though never having seen the stage production, since Mel Brooks' original film The Producers (1968) is one of the funniest comedies I've ever seen I thought that an adaptation of the musical with such a talented cast would be a satisfying experience.

There is consistently a feeling that The Producers is very much just a stage production filmed for the big screen. The entire film occurs within a select collection of locations which are mostly interiors that seem as if they have been stylised to form the shape of a stage production. The cinematography maintains this same kind of feeling because it presents itself in a style which is all too traditional, and the cast members frequently break through the fourth wall. There is no illusion of narrative in The Producers as everything is too frequently a reminder of a production that would have been superior on the stage. There's a certain guilty pleasure that theatrical aficionados may get out of the film, but for me it was too much of a stage production that wasn't making such an attempt to disguise itself as a film. If I wanted to see the stage production then I would, but I came in to see a film and certainly didn't feel like that's what I got from The Producers.
Even though the film is an adaptation of a stage production, a film must still maintain the virtues of a film. This means there must be character and story development, but The Producers doesn't see eye to eye with this prophecy. The feature is trapped in the nostalgia of the heyday of musical cinema; one of the earliest eras of cinema when popular cinema was all about showing off technical expertise more than anything. The Producers comes from 2005 when the standard for cinematic glory had reached the heights of Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005). The Producers ultimately feels a little too simplistic for its own good, and this is understandable when considering the fact that director Susan Stroman made her cinematic directorial debut with The Producers after finding luck with the stage production of the same name. She is not yet suited to the world of cinema as she fails to explore the source material in an appropriately cinematic style. There is no denying that she brings energetic passion to the production, but it fails to justify the transition from stage to screen. By the end of the film I felt like I had been given an empty experience; one which was stylish but simply went nowhere. And 134 minutes of this is a little too much time to dedicate to content which is ultimately too little.
As far as the musical numbers go, The Producers certainly brings in a talented combination of cast and musicians. With multiple actors who came straight from the stage production and numerous talented new additions, The Producers manages to capture the perfect theme for its musical numbers through a talented assortment of singers. The orchestra manages to make a spirited contribution of support as well, so the songs come off very effectively. And the film boasts some visual strength even if the cinematography and stage structure aren't a part of them. It's the colourful costumes that really snag the viewer's eye, and they keep viewers enticed during the terrific dance numbers.
And the cast of The Producers certainly help to bring life to the experience.
Nathan Lane's leading performance is a terrific effort. The man's natural over-the-top persona brings theatrical flamboyance to the film which is frequently enough of a gimmick to disguise from the lack of character development. The man is perfectly camp and proudly self-obsessive in every inch of his body, and he shows it off through energetic dance moves and remarkable singing voice. Nathan Lane makes it clear that he was born to be a Broadway star because he steals the screen so very consistently throughout The Producers and never loses sight of his dedication to manic physical energy so he is a perfect lead.
Will Ferrell is also a striking presence. Though he hardly gets as much screen time as he deserves, the comic actor makes relentlessly over-the-top effort in The Producers. Playing true to the Nazi stereotype with merciless bumbling incompetence, Will Ferrell screams and shouts his character in a trajectory of self-confusion which is all too hilarious to witness. Refusing to break out of the stereotype of the character, Will Ferrell spirals into an endless pit of maniacal energy which lights up the screen with hilarious results. Will Ferrell's presence in The Producers is the most powerful of the entire supporting cast.
Uma Thurman's presence is just wonderful. While I once found her attempts at campy seduction in Batman & Robin (1997) to be truly pathetic, she is perfectly camp in The Producers. There are times where one might forget it is Uma Thurman as she is ridiculously airheaded in a manner she has never been before. With her high-pitched accent, magnificent singing voice and undeniable sex appeal, Uma Thurman proves that she is a truly talented actress in the art of comedy and musical theatre. Uma Thurman transitions into more theatrical roots which exceptional charm in The Producers, and it remains a very memorable performance from her filmography.
However, Matthew Broderick's performance would be far better suited for the stage than the screen. I like the actor and his many comic talents, but The Producers does not make proper use of them. We gather that the man has a talented knack for singing and dancing, but he is not exactly in tune for a film. His effort is too restrained to match up to the intentions of the film, and there is no feeling of distinctive charm from him. In fact, I spent the entire film just comparing his performance to the Academy Award-nominated effort of Gene Wilder when he first brought the part to the cinematic screen in 1968. Matthew Broderick's tone of voice fails to match up to his physical movements a lot of the time which just comes off as strange, so he fails to transition any better than the rest of the film.

The Producers boasts a talented cast, but its inability to even try and transcend its theatrical nature makes it an underdeveloped and simplistic narrative that should have remained on the stage.
June 26, 2016
This movie was okay.  Uma Thurman was nothing less than annoying but I don't think it was her fault.  That's just the way Ulla was written.  The songs were fabulous!  "Keep It Gay" and "Springtime for Hitler" were among my favorites.
½ April 29, 2016
It's energetic and funny but my problem with musicals is particular glaring in this one. Musical numbers interrupt the flow of the story and pad the length.
½ April 3, 2016
A very odd film. The humour is very over the top. But the songs are catchy, and once you get used to its oddness it's entertaining enough.
½ March 18, 2016
Really more of an adaptation of the Broadway Play than a stand alone movie.
March 13, 2016
This 2005 adaption comes way too close to Brooks original play but shines through its musical moments and its committed performances nonetheless .
February 7, 2016
My second attempt to watch this suceeded. Not a patch on the original, the hamness that made me turn it off the first time I saw it didn't get any easier to watch but I didn't think that Uma Thurman and Will Ferrell were very good.
½ February 2, 2016
GAH i want to see this SO BADLY!
½ February 2, 2016
one of the worst remakes, comedies and musicals of all time.
December 29, 2015
One of my favourite musicals!
October 27, 2015
A remake of 1968 film. For those Broadway musicals lovers would certainly be crazy about it. But I just find it a bit too loud. Good choreography though.
October 27, 2015
"The Producers" is a serviceable remake that should please fans of the original and newcomers alike.
½ October 7, 2015
It's quirky, and that's kinda cool.
½ September 29, 2015
Not the best movie ever. It got boring after awhile and the starting scene seemed to go on forever. Also, the blond chick lost her "accent" whenever she sang.
Some random things happened in the movie that were just odd and stupid.
The only time I laughed was when Will Ferrell was on. If it wasn't for will Ferrell I would have turned the movie off in the first 10 minutes. He kept the movie alive.
Also, the songs can get really annoying especially when they all sound the same. The movie dragged on for WAY TOO LONG.
2 hours and 15 minutes is ridiculous for a movie like this. Only interesting movies like avatar should go for that long. I turned it off with 10 minutes to go anyway.
This is not a movie I would be in a hurry too watch again.
Overall, the movie was alright in a way, the only reason I gave it a star was because of will Ferrell. Thank god for him.
½ September 14, 2015
This is not a movie that lends itself to the musical format for one thing. The other problem is that the acting is not very good. Matthew Lane and his fellow performers appear to be trying to act like Zerp Mostel et all. They use the same hair styles and the same costumes and attempt the same grimaces but it just does not work. Uma Thurman is good as the receptionist but she is the only good permance. Nobody can imitate Gene Wilders hysteria or Zero Mostel's gestures general cynicism. His offices are too clean. The ending which has the trip to Reno with Thurman uses up a lot of time and doesn't add anything. The 1968 version is one of my favourite movies but this one just doesn't work.
September 10, 2015
I laughed sooooo hard
August 29, 2015
This movie was some type of reward. I've got no interest in watching it.