The Pursuit of Happyness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pursuit of Happyness Reviews

½ July 27, 2016
It was heart felt and good
½ July 10, 2016
Not even Will Smith's acting ability can save "The Pursuit of Happyness" from plainness and some pretty ridiculous plot points.
½ July 9, 2016
Will Smith pours his heart and soul as Chris Gardner in "The Pursuit of Happyness", an inspiring - albeit emotionally exhausting - true story of a man who became a millionaire from nothing. While I don't think this is a bad film, I found it quite exhausting to watch. The Smiths' performances are quite remarkable, but the journey leading up to his success is really painful to watch. It's a good film in its own way, but it is not a film I would watch over and over again.
June 5, 2016
It's a good movie, but it wasn't very enjoyable. There's so much rejection, sadness, and struggle that even after the the redemption, you still feel a little low.
½ June 2, 2016
Will Smith's heartfelt performance, The swift cinematography, and the films light-hearted message saves The Pursuit Of Happiness from old school melodrama
½ May 31, 2016
The Pursuit of Happyness, based on a true story, has a realistically ongoing story but its stellar performances make the film what it is. Smith's performance is unlike anything he has done prior to this, and his character is a likable, surreal one.
Chris Gardner tries to take care of his five year old son Christopher but struggles with financial issues, making a living off of selling bone density scales. He hopes to become a successful stock broker and trains in an competetive internship whilst balancing a consistently worsening homelessness. It's literally a rags to riches story.
The Pursuit of Happyness is honestly too heartfelt and surreal to dislike. The performances are outstanding, especially from Will Smith. His performances are often varied depending on the film but he delivers well in his role here and is a likable hard working protagonist. Smith can balance anger, sadness, and a lot of optimism very well and realistically. This was also the film debut of Smith's son Jaden, who as a kid is very cute and obviously has great chemistry with his father. As his film career goes on, however, we know how things can really change for him. The Pursuit of Happyness' story is uplifting and compelling, but at times is a little repetitive and predictable, too - there's tons of scenes where Chris loses a scale or it gets stolen and he is sidetracked because of it. Sometimes the plot is conflicted on striving towards Chris' broker goals or his spiraling homelessness. It balances it okay, but it's a little conflicted. The uplifting spirit of The Pursuit of Happyness and its great performances make it one of Will Smith's finest performances and films, and is definitely a great modern biopic drama.
May 17, 2016
Chris Gardner (Smith) is a bright and talented, but marginally employed salesman. Struggling to make ends meet, Gardner finds himself and his five-year-old son evicted from their San Francisco apartment with nowhere to go. When Gardner lands an internship at a prestigious stock brokerage firm, he and his son endure many hardships, including living in shelters, in pursuit of his dream of a better life for the two of them. (Sony)
May 16, 2016
Uses too many hoaky plot devices though it has good acting the writing is mediocre the chacters are boring and the plot is very dull
May 9, 2016
Offering starmaking brilliance from Will Smith with a sweetly affectionate bond between he and his on/off-screen companion, The Pursuit of Happyness is a taut, harrowing exploration of the challenges -- and rewards -- of financial insecurity.
½ May 4, 2016
Pretty solid. Kind of overrated I think, but still an enjoyable film with a good story.
March 13, 2016
Day: Wednesday
Date: 24 Feb 2016
Time: 9.30 pm
With: No one
On: HDTV
February 26, 2016
great lesson on never giving up!
½ February 18, 2016
It's strange that this movie has a just about fresh score on the tomatometer when it really deserves so much more praise. For this a beautifully acted, sad, hopeful and naturalistic interpretation of a real person's struggles through impossible odds to get what he and his son need in life.
February 7, 2016
Tentang perjuangan kebanggaan sang ayah dan anak sebagai saksi dekat agar bisa bertahan hidup mulia dan terhormat dan tidak dianggap remeh manusia yang umumnya melihat realita dan bukti yang 'wajib' untuk ditonton, situasi sulit memaksa untuk bertindak 'over reacting positive' karena keadaan untuk menyelamatkan kehidupan yang sedang dibina dan akhirnya kebahagiaan akan bersinar terang atau 'mati' perjuangan keras sang ayah dst.
February 6, 2016
Playfully cute, yet horrifyingly realistic, this film is a perfect example of how a great drama movie can be created.
January 20, 2016
A drama with a great performance from Will and his son that lift the story of Chris Gardener.
December 23, 2015
An uplifting story with a stellar performance by Will Smith
½ December 13, 2015
The Pursuit of Happyness is a simple story and has some dull points, but the movie made me think and Will Smith brought heart and power to his role. The moments with Smith and his son are special and you can see their desperation.
½ December 8, 2015
I am not a really big Will Smith fan. I feel he overacts in most of his serious roles and is more suited for action flicks where he tends to shine brighter when the subject material is a little lighter. Movies like I am Legend and Hancock I thought he was really good in. So when I saw this movie coming toward me I never thought I would actually like it. Not only did I enjoy it, it made me really emotional as well. Another thing that doesn't happen too often to me.
½ December 5, 2015