The Pursuit of Happyness - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pursuit of Happyness Reviews

June 12, 2018
A heartwarming, inspirational drama with a brilliant performance from Will Smith, Thandie Newton and all of the cast. It's a well directed and moving drama.
June 11, 2018
I love this movie because this movie motivates me
June 2, 2018
The Pursuit of Happyness is an alright movie which could have been a great movie if they had only managed to tone down the saccharine feel of the proceeding. The intentions aren't wrong, and Will Smith should be commended for his portrayal but at over two hours it is way too long and ineptly directed to be recommended. If you are a hardcore Will Smith fan you should have a look and maybe it will even appeal to you (the movie has sharply divided critics and audiences) but for what its worth The Pursuit of Happiness is a middling effort.
May 8, 2018
The film was well done, even though it was a long movie, it attract your attention because of the good rhythm and plot. In addition, the film presents a good script with emotional parts that do not let you lose interest in the film. Also, it has the excellent performance by Will Smith winning our hearts without losing their dignity by giving seriousness, intelligence, charm and humor to the role. It is worth seeing not only for the performances, but also for the great message of courage, effort and dedication that the director tells us in this great film.

In short, it is an excellent reflection film, without a doubt it shows us how difficult life can be, but we do not have to give up because afterwards there is a reward. This is a great film for the general audience; it gives a touch of sensitivity that not many movies transmit. I recommend it to all those who are interested in films based on real events and that have reflective messages. There is a phrase that I really liked, Chris Gardner told his son; never let anyone tell you that you cannot do something, not even me. Life puts us many obstacles but we have to be happy because happiness is the key to open new doors.
April 23, 2018
In Das Streben nach Glück geht es um Chris Gardner (Will Smith) einen einfühlsamen, liebevollen und verständnisvollen Vater der trotz seiner enormen Kreativität in San Francisco vergeblich versucht Fuß zu fassen. An seiner Seite ist eine gefühlskalte, aggressive und verständnislose Partnerin und Mutter des gemeinsamen Sohnes. Sein Sohn gibt ihm die Kraft und die Notwendigkeit alles zu tun um ein wohlbehütetes Leben zu ermöglichen. Dieses Drama hat einen beruhigenden schönen Soundtrack. Dieser Film ist sehr anspruchsvoll und teilweise sehr traurig.
April 22, 2018
A flawed, but certainly enjoyable account of a father's struggles to provide the best for his son. Smith's performance is very good.
April 4, 2018
An emotional and inspiring biopic with good performances by father and son Will and Jaden Smith.
March 30, 2018
One of will smith's Greatest performances to date in this heartfelt motion picture.
½ March 29, 2018
A well-done mountain of powerfully heartbreaking and inspiring drama, brought to life by Will Smith and his son Jaden at their A-game.
½ March 25, 2018
Really heartfelt and moving movie. Nice natural bond on screen, Enjoyable movie.
½ February 18, 2018
A heartfelt and realistic feature with Will Smith's strong performance at its core, while also suffering from pacing issues towards the final act.
½ February 11, 2018
Buena película que nos enseña que el que persevera alcanza.
February 10, 2018
Will was born to play this role. Great execution on his part. Great story.
½ January 29, 2018
If I'm being honest, I didn't expect to like this film. Everyone in the past twelve years since its release that has recommended it to me can only talk about how sad and downright heartbreaking it can be at times. Why would I want watch a film like that? After sitting through The Pursuit of Happyness, I have my answer.

Chris Gardner (Will Smith) is just trying to make money and take care of his family. After investing his entire life savings in a company that goes nowhere, he decides to risk it all and go out for an unpaid internship with a stockbroking company. The message here is extremely powerful, a message he delivers to his son about halfway through the film: If you want something, go get it. And, in the process of getting it, don't let anyone tell you that you can't have it.

The film revolves Gardner's struggle to work for no pay and still manage to take care of his son. You can't help but admire his hustle. Despite numerous shortcomings and failed attempts, he continues to push toward his vision. It's inspiration at its finest. And, just as people warned me, it's also heartbreaking to watch. I mean, the guy can't seem to catch a break. Ever. He takes a step forward then eight back. I appreciated the film being delivered in this fashion because of how real it felt. I never got the sense of sugarcoating. This man was broken, yet he found a way to piece himself back together.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Jaden Smith's performance as Chris jr. He carries the innocence and sadness of a kid that's a victim of a situation he doesn't seem to fully understand. While it's heartbreaking to see them struggle, it's heartwarming to watch them struggle together.

My one complaint would be the movie ending a bit too abruptly for my taste. Other than that, what a great film! I give it a 92.
January 23, 2018
Love movies that inspires people, having hard work and kindness being paid off in the end, through all the hardships life and keeping your head up and keep trying. hard work paids off (notetoself)
January 15, 2018
The pursuit of happyness is a movie with a lot of good emotion and has a lot of funny and sad moments. Will Smith gives a great performance and so does his son. This film sends a good message about chasing your dreams and not to give up even with things are going horribly wrong. My only issues is that even though this movie is just under two hours, it does feel much longer and when Will Smith's character finally gets the job at the end, I do not feel as happy a I probably should.

8.0/10
½ January 13, 2018
this part of my life.. this part right here..

The Pursuit Of Happyness

Brooding into its tragic situations Will Smith breathes life into the character, whether be it then portraying guilt, suffer or hopelessness; in this light drama The Pursuit Of Hapyness, that questions some basic issues molded with innocence.
December 30, 2017
Honestly best film ever. So real, raw and emotional. Highly recommend
December 25, 2017
I'm poor and being poor sucks. I believe in the American dream being all about money. This movie couldn't portray the pursuit of happiness better.
December 13, 2017
The Pursuit of happyness (2006)
Cast: Will Smith, Jayden Smith, Thandie Newton, Brian Howe.
Director: Gabriele Muccino

You better have a box of tissues by your side when watching this movie; it might make you cry like a baby. This film is based on a true story, a father learning to overcome some of the hardest trials in his lifetime. Willing to lose every materialistic thing if he has to as long as he gets to keep his son by his side. Avery meaningful, inspirational, and very well put together film. Will and Jayden Smith give us an outstanding performance leaving us wanting more. In movies, Will usually plays a manly, confident role and always does a very good job doing it. In the pursuit of happyness he is challenged with a different type of role than he usually plays, a very humble, poor, man that is struggling to hold his family together. In my opinion there's no better choice of actor to take on this role, he kills it! Plus, who doesn't like Will Smith?

Chris Gardner (Will Smith) faces crucial poverty and homelessness in the city of San Francisco while trying to support his 4-year-old son all at the same time. He invests most of his life savings on portable bone density scanners that are supposedly more efficient than your average X-rays. He goes around from clinic to clinic trying to figure out a way to sell them, but most of the time has no luck. He accepts an internship at financial institution Dean Witter, to later realize he will not be getting any money from this. He continues to do it because he knows this will give him experience and could help him get a better job in the future. His wife (Thandie Newton) gets frustrated about the lack of money her and Will are bringing home, due to the fact that it's not sufficient to pay the bills. She decides to pack up her stuff and completely abandons them. He has no money to pay rent, gets kicked out of his apartment, leaving him and his son with nowhere to go or sleep.

Will Smiths son (Jaden) has a really interesting role in this movie; he plays a very smart and clever young boy. A very kind, and innocent character, the crowd loves him. He stays loyal to his father and right by his side thru all the hardships. He's a constant reminder to Will that as long as you have your loved ones by your side, you can get thru any trial your facing. He also adds a lot of comedy to this film, his small sarcastic remarks is what the viewers love about him.

There's a crucial scene in the movie where Chris reaches a turning point in his life. He really hits the lowest of the lowest, I'm talking rock bottom. Him and his son have nowhere to go and have no other option but to sleep on the bathroom floor of a train station. In this scene Chris is sitting on the ground clinging on to his son as tight as he can while holding the bathroom door shut with his foot. Every material thing he had got taken from him, but he still has his son by his side, which is what he cares for most. He does what ever he can to keep his him safe, even if it means just holding him tight and being by his side. Chris starts sobbing; he's lost and has no idea if he will make it out of this nightmare we call life or not. He takes a looks at his son and realizes he has no other option but to keep fighting for the sake of him. He gains the strength and right mindset and knows that giving up is not an option.

I won't ruin the ending for you guys, but overall, I loved this movie! The love that Chris Gardner shows for his child is so touching and like no other. Everything he does is for his son, so that he can grow up and have a better future. I highly recommend watching this movie!