Queen of the Damned - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Queen of the Damned Reviews

October 13, 2016
Full of half drawn characters, and an undercooked plot.
August 1, 2016
Admittedly the book is pretty hard to put into film, however this film strips all of the beautiful and intimate complexity that made the book good. It's an embarrassment to Anne Rice that it has to be associated with her work.
July 30, 2016
I watched Interview with a Vampire so many years ago I don't even remember it. I ran across this sequel and decided I'd give it a go even though they skipped a book between the two. This is mainstream vampire fluff; average effects with a lesser than average story. Guy forms a band to have fun and wreck havoc on his people. Leads to predictable outcome. Aaliyah showed lots of pluck as the Queen. Not much stands out.
July 5, 2016
Aaliyah did a great job along with Stuart Townsend in this. Loved the rock and roll side of LeStat. Stuart did a awesome job with it. Definitely pulled off the sexy side!
June 28, 2016
One of the best Vampire movies ever created. Sensual, frightening, humorous, and emotional.
½ June 16, 2016
After watching this movie I'm convinced that the screenwriters/director didn't feel like faithfully adapting Anne Rice's story so instead they just decided to tear out about a 1/3 of the book's pages (the ones that would've made the movie's plot make sense) then they each took turns wiping their asses with the remaining 2/3 of the book before handing the mutilated shit stained corpse in the form of this awfully made movie to the audience. As you can probably gather from reading my review I don't like this movie very much in fact if I could rate this movie lower than half a star I would. My advice? Don't watch this movie because, it's not bad in the entertaining way it's just bad.
½ June 12, 2016
Not the worst movie ever made, but certainly a runner up ,if not, top five for sure. Maybe it's the go-for-broke MTV injected production value, or maybe it's just the really, really bad acting attacking my senses throughout the picture. Obliviously you want to judge for yourself, but you've been warned.
June 5, 2016
Yes, plenty of eye candy. Lots of biting; that's what the audience gets turned on about. Still, read the books. They're a lot scarier.
April 30, 2016
Following 'Interview With A Vampire' with this monstrosity is a shame. Poor acting (all around), poor visual effects, poor plot, etc. etc. It's hard to believe there was a worse movie than the Twilight saga. This is it. Sad that Aaliyah died with this as her final artist work. Rating 3.5 / 10
March 8, 2016
Four stars just because Claudia Black is in this.
½ December 30, 2015
Average but fun...

...but the soundtrack ~?~?~?
½ September 21, 2015
Gothic hard rock publicity stunt that is for real & about as credible & coherent as the weekend vampiricists who all take themselves too seriously.
½ July 28, 2015
You can get more entertainment from standing in line at a grocery store. Do not watch.
½ July 19, 2015
If you are ever in the mood to watch a really bad movie you made a great choice. I've seen some bad vampire movies but this one really is the queen of the bad. But at least it's better then those stupid Twilight movies.
½ July 19, 2015
Hooey-rific. Passingly interesting story that just is wrapped up in so many bad vampire cliches. The budget for velveteen must have been tremendous!
July 4, 2015
To begin, I'm a big fan of Anne Rice. I have avoided watching any of these movies because I am so captivated by the lore and characters in the books, I figured the movies would just be disappointing. I was not disappointed in my disappointment.

The good points: it's pretty, costuming was fun, cameos from Robert Downey Jr and Peter Steele and the music wasn't too bad.

Now, for the harshness: This story they were working with really played out in three novels and were told from various character's POVs. I am sure the screenwriters gave it a great try, but so much of the narrative was omitted that it just didn't make sense. There were pivotal characters at the climax of the film and we didn't even know their names, much less their connection to the lead. This might have been more coherent as two films. Trying to blend some stories together to save time is forgivable, but editing to such a point where we cannot understand why Lestat turned on Akasha was really a bad choice. Sure, she seemed a bit harsh, but they never showed her as the genocidal maniac she was.

This entire series of novels deserves to have a series of good, true to the story films. These stylized vanity films suck and not in a sexy way.
½ June 22, 2015
Better dead than alone.

Lestat has become a rock super star and let out the secret, publically, that vampires do exist and he is one. His message and fame has awoken the Queen of all Vampires who wishes to help Lestat and give him eternal happiness. Lestat does not reciprocate the feelings further putting his existence at risk.

"Your kind never satisfy my thirst."

Michael Rymer, director of In Too Deep, Perfume, Allie & Me, Angel Baby, and episodes from the television series Battlestar Galactica, American Horror Story, and Hannibal delivers Queen of the Damned. The storyline for this picture is very disappointed, poorly written and presented, and conceptually disappointing. The acting is also fairly weak and the cast includes Aaliyah, Stuart Townsend, Vincent Perez, Lena Olin, and Bruce Spence.

"It's time to share myself with you all!"

I came across this on HBOGO and had never seen it because I had always heard how terrible it was. Well, it is terrible. There isn't much here in terms of story, characters, or horror elements worth following. Pretty much everything about this film is bad. I'd skip this.

"Tell me more about me."

Grade: D
May 9, 2015
Excellently movie!!!
April 12, 2015
The soundtrack pulls the movie out of the depths of hell and makes it watchable.
½ April 7, 2015
Pre-Twilight, Post-Buffy blend of smouldering stares, campy "gothic" chills and an immense craving for unintentional cringe comedy, the late R&B singer Aaliyah stars as "Queen of the Damned" Akasha, who appears more Queen of the Desert than anything, like a female Frank N' Furter in a crown having to tread heavily through the soggy dialogue - the novel is good, the film isn't - and Stuart Townshend doesn't do much to help her out either...except glare. The film is more a blurry and strange orgy of weirdness, and not the good kind.