The Quiet Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Quiet Man Reviews

August 27, 2017
Great film. It's set in Ireland, it has a great score, it's well-cast, and it's the only movie with John Wayne that I don't fall asleep during.
August 12, 2017
Almost everyone agrees on one thing about the 1952 Oscars: That Cecil B. DeMille's punishingly long blockbuster three-ring soap opera The Greatest Show On Earth did not deserve to win Best Picture. The Quiet Man I personally feel should have got the nod Best Picture for 1952 . It stars John Wayne as Sean Thornton, a former heavyweight boxer who returns to fictional Innisfree, Ireland to reclaim the family farm. There's a sensitive, complicated romance-with independent-minded Mary Kate (Maureen O'Hara), sister of local bully Red Danaher (Victor McLaglen, one of Ford's best company players)-but the real attraction here is Ford's masterful maneuvering of tones and his fluid handling of a large cast of colorful characters, qualities which also defined his iconic (and then-underrated) Westerns. Shot partly on location in Ireland and designed in the lushest greens ever squeezed out of Technicolor, The Quiet Man is a movie that isn't about a whole lot, but yet seems to contain so much-from Wayne's easygoing charisma to the notoriously protracted climactic fight to the febrile, film-noir-like flashback to Sean's boxing days. The Quiet Man is on of Wayne best films and his made possible by beautiful spitfire Maureen O'Hara .
August 12, 2017
This is the only so-called romcom that I ever found worth watching -- multiple times. It's Ireland and, despite a few stupid edits of dialogue, the characters are Irish. I can't remember seeing an ensemble this large so full of realistic and charismatic characters. A story well and amusingly told without a single sex scene. Imagine that. I'm willing to bet Wayne didn't get an oscar nomination because he was a patriot and sympathetic to HUAC's work. I still hear the bugwit lefties whining about the pinkos getting their just deserts. Even though the KGB released documents showing how widespread Communist sympathy was among the Hollyweird. Not much has changed on that account. The place is still full of crap excuses for Americans.
½ August 7, 2017
Weird racist portrayal of Irish as drunken, fighting and illogical people with weird customs and of course the American who comes to town and is better at everything than everyone else.
½ July 16, 2017
Very high ratings for such a simple, campy story. The post-war parents of the Baby Boomers were sure easily entertained with feather-lite war of the sexes fables. And some pretty rough handling, eesh, of the girl in places, she none too gentle herself in a play that makes the Irish look less than swift. And why all the poorly matched process shots when the company took the trouble to go to Ireland in a day when filming on location seldom was done? Yes, the Technicolor cam was a beast. But still ... This is simple, naive'ish filmaking that seems to have fans. John Ford doesn't impress, tho' there are legions who have a different take on him. The behind-the-scenes story of getting this picture made actually is more interesting than the picture itself. In the Age of "Downtown Abbey," this looks pretty simplistic ... a vehicle for the stars and for the Technicolor process, new at the time.
½ May 4, 2017
The lush Irish landscape and beautiful music are wasted on this very dull film. John Wayne should have stuck to his westerns. (First and only viewing - 5/26/2014)
March 18, 2017
The Quiet Man is a family tradition every St. Patrick's day, and the film is indeed disarmingly charming in both its wry humor and sentimentality.
March 15, 2017
when i drink whiskey i drink whiskey
and
when i drink water i drink water
½ February 21, 2017
Watching this now on TCM. WHAT A HORRIBLE MOVIE!
August 13, 2016
Classic. Awesome. One of John Wayne's best!
July 10, 2016
Held high by the incredible talents of Ford, Wayne, and O'Hara, this romantic classic still holds up with breathtaking visuals and a smart balance of excitement and subtle tension. Love isn't portrayed this way anymore. The Duke portrays a man trying to reform, rebuild, and be someone remembered not for explosive acts but quiet strength. Ford reveals a little at a time and pits two men against each other over a woman who is as fiery as they come. It's an amazing build with all of the flavor you can savor, including races, fights, flashbacks, a beautiful score, characters of every color, and much more. While it isn't my favorite Ford film, it celebrates a man after a woman for all the right reasons and willing to fight for her in all the right ways. And it doesn't end with the wedding. Many romantic films of our generation should sit down and take notes because honor and class stand tall with adrenaline and an epic dose of good ol' Ireland, the finest.
½ June 5, 2016
I don't get all the fuss about this movie. With all my due respect and high level tolerance toward old, dated movies, i didn't understand this one. I don't see any reason to call this movie a true classic (let alone masterpiece), well, cinematography is rich and fine. But that's all. Humour is not that good, the main actress is plainly overacting, the last fighting sequence is total farce, not even remotely funny. I'm disappointed.
June 2, 2016
John Wayne versus the overly conservative courting traditions of Ireland...sounds like a 5-star blockbuster premise, doesn't it? Well, not so much. My reaction to The Quiet Man was not very positive, and I stalled out and had to restart the movie more than once. The entire plot is just so bland and uninteresting to me that I'm surprised I persevered to the end. At this point I'm wondering if can muster the willpower to explore any more of Wayne's films because I have not enjoyed his performance yet in my first 2 experiences with him. He is a very stiff actor, and struggles to become a convincing romantic lead here. However, despite all my protestations to this film, I did enjoy moments. There were certain actors who were very good, especially Maureen O'Hara (even if I found her character annoying.) There were also some of the minor characters who gave me a chuckle, which I needed more of while watching this movie. The best part of the film, despite all the frustration I felt up to that point, was the final confrontation which somehow hooked me and I was anxious to see how it would end. One other thing that is worth mentioning was how well-restored the visuals were in the version that I watched. It truly captured the luscious beauty of Ireland. All these lovely things are nice to have in the film, but they just weren't enough to make me like The Quiet Man. I have a sneaking suspicion this is a movie I will quickly forget, and will wonder if I ever actually saw it.
May 24, 2016
When you here the name John Wayne you automatically think of westerns, but this gem of a love story is quite a pleasurable change.
April 11, 2016
Wayne's surprisingly adept at romantic comedy and Maureen O'Hara matches him at every turn. Some of Ford's best imagery is on display here.
½ April 10, 2016
I found it rather boring and the humor pretty dull. The woman lead character was interesting but a bit Ridic at times. It was kinda campy too. The best part was just the shots of Ireland-ain't saying much.
March 20, 2016
Kind of wish the characters weren't such one-dimensional representations of their culture and could have an adult conversation once throughout the movie, but other than that it was very well done and definitely showed the clash between cultures it was trying to.
March 13, 2016
How Hollywood imagines life in Ireland to be, all rustic pubs and fights and blarney. Into this mix comes ex-boxer Wayne from America who naturally falls in love with that spitfire colleen O'Hara. And that's pretty much it for plot. The rest is all broad (but well-timed) comedy, burnished bright scenery and some undeniable chemistry between Wayne and O'Hara. It's total tosh of course but it has a seductive whimsical charm that's hard to resist.