The Quiet Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Quiet Man Reviews

August 13, 2016
Classic. Awesome. One of John Wayne's best!
July 10, 2016
Held high by the incredible talents of Ford, Wayne, and O'Hara, this romantic classic still holds up with breathtaking visuals and a smart balance of excitement and subtle tension. Love isn't portrayed this way anymore. The Duke portrays a man trying to reform, rebuild, and be someone remembered not for explosive acts but quiet strength. Ford reveals a little at a time and pits two men against each other over a woman who is as fiery as they come. It's an amazing build with all of the flavor you can savor, including races, fights, flashbacks, a beautiful score, characters of every color, and much more. While it isn't my favorite Ford film, it celebrates a man after a woman for all the right reasons and willing to fight for her in all the right ways. And it doesn't end with the wedding. Many romantic films of our generation should sit down and take notes because honor and class stand tall with adrenaline and an epic dose of good ol' Ireland, the finest.
½ June 5, 2016
I don't get all the fuss about this movie. With all my due respect and high level tolerance toward old, dated movies, i didn't understand this one. I don't see any reason to call this movie a true classic (let alone masterpiece), well, cinematography is rich and fine. But that's all. Humour is not that good, the main actress is plainly overacting, the last fighting sequence is total farce, not even remotely funny. I'm disappointed.
June 2, 2016
John Wayne versus the overly conservative courting traditions of Ireland...sounds like a 5-star blockbuster premise, doesn't it? Well, not so much. My reaction to The Quiet Man was not very positive, and I stalled out and had to restart the movie more than once. The entire plot is just so bland and uninteresting to me that I'm surprised I persevered to the end. At this point I'm wondering if can muster the willpower to explore any more of Wayne's films because I have not enjoyed his performance yet in my first 2 experiences with him. He is a very stiff actor, and struggles to become a convincing romantic lead here. However, despite all my protestations to this film, I did enjoy moments. There were certain actors who were very good, especially Maureen O'Hara (even if I found her character annoying.) There were also some of the minor characters who gave me a chuckle, which I needed more of while watching this movie. The best part of the film, despite all the frustration I felt up to that point, was the final confrontation which somehow hooked me and I was anxious to see how it would end. One other thing that is worth mentioning was how well-restored the visuals were in the version that I watched. It truly captured the luscious beauty of Ireland. All these lovely things are nice to have in the film, but they just weren't enough to make me like The Quiet Man. I have a sneaking suspicion this is a movie I will quickly forget, and will wonder if I ever actually saw it.
May 24, 2016
When you here the name John Wayne you automatically think of westerns, but this gem of a love story is quite a pleasurable change.
April 11, 2016
Wayne's surprisingly adept at romantic comedy and Maureen O'Hara matches him at every turn. Some of Ford's best imagery is on display here.
½ April 10, 2016
I found it rather boring and the humor pretty dull. The woman lead character was interesting but a bit Ridic at times. It was kinda campy too. The best part was just the shots of Ireland-ain't saying much.
March 20, 2016
Kind of wish the characters weren't such one-dimensional representations of their culture and could have an adult conversation once throughout the movie, but other than that it was very well done and definitely showed the clash between cultures it was trying to.
March 13, 2016
How Hollywood imagines life in Ireland to be, all rustic pubs and fights and blarney. Into this mix comes ex-boxer Wayne from America who naturally falls in love with that spitfire colleen O'Hara. And that's pretty much it for plot. The rest is all broad (but well-timed) comedy, burnished bright scenery and some undeniable chemistry between Wayne and O'Hara. It's total tosh of course but it has a seductive whimsical charm that's hard to resist.
January 10, 2016
Always has been a beautifully done romantic comedy for me. Maureen O'Hara was a goddess in this role and John Wayne was equally entertaining. A very enjoyable flick.
½ December 28, 2015
John Ford nos entrega un divertidísimo retrato al mundo de los irlandeses en "The Quiet Man", la historia de un hombre (John Wayne) que busca paz y tranquilidad en su Irlanda de infancia, pero lo que encuentra es a una pelirroja de genio explosivo y personalidad dramática (Maureen O'Hara) y a su agresivo hermano (Victor McLaglen) quien busca cómo encender el espíritu de pelea del "apacible" hombre. Excelente dirección, maravillosa fotografía, diálogos hilarantes y unas actuaciones de primera hacen de "The Quiet Man" todo un clásico del cine.
December 25, 2015
I grew up watching this movie and I have never stopped loving it. I'm not a John Wayne fan, but I do adore this film. The landscape itself is beautiful, but the story is fun (and silly) and good for ALL ages.
½ September 7, 2015
They really do not make high quality rom-coms like this anymore.Just a finely crafted piece of of my favorites from the Duke.
August 18, 2015
El hombre tranquilo [1952]
July 22, 2015
This is one of the great movies of all time. The film is about a wonderful romance between an Irish-woman and an American returning home to Ireland, but it plays like a romance between the director and Ireland itself. The characters are unforgettable, led by Barry Fitzgerald as Michaleen, and the scenery is breath-taking. The whole cast seems to be engaged in a labor of love, and their happiness at filming the movie comes through in their performances. The story itself is entertaining and heart-warming, although the end is never in doubt. This is probably John Wayne's most genuine performance, it being so obvious he feels comfortable inhabiting the skin of Sean Thornton, his character. The whole cast were very good friends, indeed many of them were family, and their chemistry is quite real and vivid on screen. I highly recommend this movie!
June 5, 2015
Great! Interesting study of Irish culture. Another John Ford jewel.
½ April 1, 2015
John Wayne's performance was really good in this movie. It was nice to see him play a regular person, where I'm so use to seeing him as an action hero in westerns and war movies. Despite there not being much action, it does have one of the best fist fights I've ever seen on film. And I love movies set in Ireland. If the story isn't to your liking at least your eyes will get a treat.
½ March 16, 2015
Gorgeous to look at, but I was deeply disturbed by the scenes of what looks to me like mutual domestic abuse. There. I've said it. But now I've finally seen the film.
½ February 16, 2015
A meandering pace but definitely good fun, especially the final sequences