Reds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Reds Reviews

November 27, 2016
Wow. This was amazing.
August 19, 2016
This is how to do a long movie right. Combining both really interesting/relatable characters with dynamic strengths and flaws and in a very interesting situation in history where you know what's going to happen in history but not know what's going to happen to the characters.
This is art.
June 17, 2016
Reds is a very well-acted, story of Jack Reed, who tried to bring the communist party to America. Jack Nicholson and Warren Beatty do exceptionally good jobs and Reds turns out to be a very powerful movie.
April 20, 2016
Speaks so much to the times we live in where the working man and woman is working at near slave wages these days to make a proper living. To those whom think Socialism And Comunism are the boogie man, then think again. We need more people like Jack Reed And Louise Bryant today more than ever. With the Unions on the decline it is important to organize today more than ever against the greed and TWO FACED PEOPLE we face today who's only goal is to bring real people like you and me down. GO SOCIALISM!!!!!!!!!
½ February 14, 2016
one of my favorite epic true life love stories. I especially love the interviews with old folks. who were there, but don't really remember that much. one of them is Henry Miller. the story is a classic love story mixed with social consciousness and social change. the story of jack reed and louise bryant. they were both ahead of their time. the acting is first rate, as is the cinematography. jack Nicholson as Eugene O'neal has never been finer, and has the best speech in the movie. Warren Betty stars and directs. also has some interesting ideas that ring true today. a good movie for a cold winter's day Diane Keaton has never been more intriguing and beautiful. Her character is jack reeds equal.
½ October 4, 2015
Formidably long but richly rewarding in execution. Going in cold, with no prior knowledge of journalist John Reed or the times in which he lived and passionately worked, I found Warren Beatty's masterfully made film to be entirely immersive and engaging. There is wonderful chemistry between Beatty and Diane Keaton, the supporting cast are excellent and the film succeeds in exploring the politics and hardships of the time without being mired in them. "Reds" is an altogether uplifting film which was evidently made with equal devotion to great storytelling and to its subject matter. Superb.
½ August 9, 2015
How can you glorify Communists!?
June 1, 2015
Watched it again last night. Probably one of the best films of its type since Lawrence of Arabia.
½ May 31, 2015
Although a little longwinded, this is a truly epic movie that captures the changes of its leads and their world over several years.
April 22, 2015
awesome historical epic skillfully directed by Warren Beatty?
April 9, 2015
Sweeping epic with many great performances especially the leads.
February 5, 2015
Epic, but sad on a personal level, and a social level.....
January 20, 2015
La Revolución Rusa contada a través de la vida de John Reed activista norteamericano simpatizante del comunismo. Reds es una pelicula monumental dirigida con maestría por Warren Beatty.
January 19, 2015
A beautifully told epic with gripping performances and and stellar direction.
November 30, 2014
A gripping political epic of ambitious discussions (and with a splendid production design) about an idealistic journalist/activist who became an ardent revolutionary to fight for what he believed in, and it is very well edited and well paced for a film that runs for over three hours.
½ November 28, 2014
The dream dominates the dreamer.

John Reed is an American journalist who believes in radical ideas and always goes against the grain; however, he is good at making his point and preaching equality. He has a complex relationship with another writer, Louise Bryant, who isn't nearly as successful. When John preaches a new communist union and goes to Russia to help gain backing, he puts his and his wife's lives at stake.

"What would you say this war is about?"
"Profits."

Warren Beatty, director of Dick Tracy, Bulworth, and Heaven Can Wait, delivers Reds. The storyline for this picture is just okay, but the settings and conclusion were amazing. I did think the subplots of Russia, the cold war, and the travel arrangements were stunning. The acting was also pretty good and the cast includes Beatty, Jack Nicholson, Diane Keaton, Paul Sorvino, and Bessie Love.

"You have to be a bit of a rebel to be an artist of any kind."

I am a huge Jack Nicholson fan and came across this on Netflix and decided to add it to my queue. In all honesty, Nicholson isn't in this movie much. The dialogue from those who remembered Reed throughout the movie was interesting, but likely unnecessary. The story was also just above average, other than some of the political undertones, which were neat. Overall, this is a slightly above average drama with a great love story that I am surprised received an Oscar.

"He let her go?"

Grade: C+/B- (6.5)
November 27, 2014
Only reason I watched this was because netflix suggested it to me and I remebered it being on the AFI's top 10 epics list. However, it doesn't feel very epic. Yeah it's 194 minutes and there are a couple of scenes with alot of extras but it still doen't feel very large in scale. However, it is still watchable. The acting by Beatty and Nichlson is outstanding. Diane Keaton is ok. I do have a problem with the ending and how Reed just dies when Louise leaves the room. If that is really how it happened, then they should have maybe taken some liberties on it to make it more emotional.
½ August 7, 2014
There is no other way to describe it than epic... and Diane & Warren surely win over our hearts.
June 5, 2014
One of the best movies. If Reds won Best Picture, which it should have, it would be more of a talked about film then it is and was when it came out. More people watched this than "Chariots of Fire". I think this movie is better. Great acting, by all 4 mainstays nominated for Oscars....Nicholson's third best Oscar nomination in my opinion. If Hepburn didn't win, Keaton would have.