Reign of Fire Reviews

• 4d ago

The beginning of Reign of Fire is quite tepid. We see modern-day London with a young 14 year old called, Quinn, visiting his Mother (played by Alice Krige). As she works in the London Underground development project in the Docklands area, her crew inadvertently stumble upon an empty chamber that turns out to be a lair for a huge dragon! Death and destruction ensue only it happens mainly off-camera. We then are taken forward a number of years and told that mankind has been almost wiped out by the breeding dragons that have been appearing across the world. We also learn, implausibly, that the dragons are also credited for the extinction of the dinosaurs! The grown-up Quinn, played by Bale, is now trying to rebuild a life with a group of survivors in an old castle out in the moors. He is uninterested in fighting of the multiplying dragons until one day, he is visited by U.S marine, Van Zan (McConaughey) and his ragtag army and must face the reality of his situation. Rob Bowman, who is credited for the X-Files big-screen debut, makes an admirable job in bringing this story to life. The CGI dragons provide much excitement in this film considering their mistreatment by other Hollywood films (namely Dragon Heart). In Reign of Fire, they are a lethal mixture of skill, speed and cunning. They track and pursue their prey like true hunters of the sky. He doesn't quite manage the tension and ferocity similar to anything like the T-Rex attack in the first Jurassic Park movie, but he can certainly entertain us with two good set pieces in the film which actually show the dragons really doing some damage. The best being a gripping if suicidal skydive to ensnare a female dragon from the sky with some horrific consequences for our hapless humans. Most of the time the other attacking dragons are partially concealed in mists and smoke and reveal themselves briefly in lightning fast attacks. Stylistically, we are once again in Mad Max territory. There's nothing quite like post-apocalyptic fashion sense! Itıs quite unique and matches the colour of the char-grilled nuclear fall-out atmosphere nicely. Sarcasm aside, the costume is as it should be and matches the personality of the characters. Acting-wise, this has some class. Take an almost unrecognisable McConaughey, who plays the Van Zan role with all the American gung-ho bravado as he can muster. On his flip-side, we have Quinn, who's a down and out Cockney Brit from London. Of course, thereıs tension between the two immediately which adds a fine dimension to the characters and the film. By the end, they have mutual respect for each other. It's fairly much up to female pilot, Alex (former Bond girl , Scorupio), who acts as a buffer between the two. This is a very watchable rework of the familiar Knights and Dragons fable of old and shows that Rob Bowman does have an intention on where the film should go. It may be too dark for a mainstream audience, say the same audience that watches the Jurassic Park movies but it deserves at least an honorary mention amongst cult movie circles.

• Jul 25, 2019

Matthew McConaughey's character is all over the place in this film. Effects aren't that great. The script gets kinda lost within itself.

• May 15, 2019

It's a bit dated but awesome

It's a bit dated but awesome

• May 10, 2019

Fun dystopian flick with dragons and buff Matthew McConaughey. Good time just don't think too hard.

• Mar 03, 2019

2002 dragons are lit

2002 dragons are lit

• Jan 17, 2019

It's a silly, yet conceptually fun film.

It's a silly, yet conceptually fun film.

• Dec 03, 2018

I wish there was a way to give this a "how good of a terrible movie" rating. Have you ever watched a movie so terrible that you couldn't look away? Have you ever seen oscar award winning actors completely commit to acting in a movie that makes utterly no sense? Have you ever watched a movie that had a basic plot so ridiculous you wonder how it ever got greenlit? This is that film. I was NEVER bored (which in my opinion is the worst thing you can be in a movie), and utterly perplexed by this film. A must watch awful film.

• Oct 07, 2018

B-movie in it's best. For anoraks only

B-movie in it's best. For anoraks only

• Sep 01, 2018

Enjoyed this movie. I wish they could have put more science behind the dragon and it's intelligence and what not. But it was a good action film.

• Aug 24, 2018

A great show, more like a video game than a movie, but it means great action. Not to mention the excellent actors.