Reindeer Games (Deception) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Reindeer Games (Deception) Reviews

July 12, 2016
Four stars hands down. This is who Ben Affleck is meant to be, not a f*cking Batman!
½ May 15, 2016
Reindeer Games is the final film of director John Frankenheimer, and it stars Ben Affleck, Charlize Theron, and Gary Sinise in an action film about 2 cellmates who are about to be released, but one of them gets killed before they get released. So when Ben Affleck's character get released, he sees that a girl was there waiting for his cellmate to come out, and he decided to go with her with his cellmate's identity. With all the films directed by John Frankenheimer, I didn't expect this film to be the first one that I watched, but it was because of Ehren Kruger as the writer. To my surprise, Reindeer Games is a bit fun in a trashy way. The acting from Ben Affleck and Charlize Theron are fine, nothing worth talking about, but Gary Sinise however, is having a lot of fun acting very campy and enjoyably over the top. The plot gets ridiculous when it keeps going, and with some plot points going, it made it even more out there. The action scenes are a bit cool to watch, and I wasn't bored watching it. There are some funny moments in there, and the twists are surprisingly a bit shocking. The writing by Ehren Kruger isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it's not as good as Arlington Road or The Ring. The plot doesn't make sense, but for what the movie is worth, Reindeer Games is a decent film that I'm pretty sure is definitely not at the director's high point here.
½ April 27, 2016
Very underrated in my eyes, Ok the acting wasn't great but even though the story did get a little silly I enjoyed the twists and the whole idea of the story, The ending was good and the touch of humour worked well too, I can see why it didn't get as much praise as I thought but it's worth watching and is pretty entertaining.
February 1, 2016
sÚrieusement 25% pfff
December 25, 2015
Bad movie gone good, not to be confused with "so good it's bad." Or good movie that doesn't live up to it's potential?
Affleck's part of the problem here, and I'm not one of those guys who thinks he's a bad actor. He's not very versatile, it's true, but folks who think John Wayne or Burt Reynolds weren't good actors are idiots who apparently aren't aware that "specialist" is a concept that works in entertainment as it does in every other field. Now, I wouldn't give Affleck an award for his best work over Ben Kingsley in that Marvel One-Shot he did, but that's beside the point. Affleck was the wrong guy for this.
They should've gone with a comedian and kept mostly everything the same. The story could use some work, especialy that GTFOH moment, but a comedian or an actor with great comic timing could have at least elevated this to something better than it is. Everyone else is great and bonus points for Clarence Williams III whom I didn't recognize til Affleck gets his pecan pie.
Missed this the first time around 'cause I thought it was some kind'a Die Hard thing. No idea it was a heist movie. Die Hard *is* a type of Heist movie, I guess, but you know what I mean.
½ December 24, 2015
151224: An action packed and violent ending to a seemingly complex yet flawed story. None of the characters are particularly intelligent or endearing but there is a sickening satisfaction with how it all winds up. Sadly, those behind this film try to associate it to Christmas, which it isn't. Good thing for Rudy so few police are on patrol after such a spectacular robbery. This story is pretty weak but does feature some great action near the end.
October 14, 2015
Overall a good story with moments of pure luck and I can't believe it moments that culminates into an average movie.
September 25, 2015
lame and utter ludicrous, rather surreal. But enjoyable for the vulnerable kind.
½ August 28, 2015
This movie has so many twists and turns that you won't even care by the last two-thirds. When they fell through the ice that would have been a good time to end the movie. I never like Sinese and this movie didn't change my opinion.
May 27, 2015
The acting and the story seem forced and the viewer is worse for it.
½ April 30, 2015
How dare Reindeer Games try to join the Christmas action genre. It doesn't deserve to be spoken in the same sentence as Kiss Kiss Bang Bang or Die Hard.
March 31, 2015
I remember this movie from back in the day. It's an enjoyable flick with some cool action scenes and a little bit of humor sprinkled throughout. I had fun watching this! Judge all you want ­???
½ February 28, 2015
Really dumb...the acting is terrible, the plot is dumb, and the writing is awful. On top of that, this film drags like it's pulling a 2000 lb weight. Don't see this.
February 14, 2015
sorry, but the only highlight of this movie for me was seeing ben Affleck's lovely, bare ass.
January 5, 2015
Did not see that ending coming at all. I found myself clapping at the end.
½ December 11, 2014
This movie is so much better than people say.
½ December 11, 2014
The direction is great, as always with John Frankenheimer. Was he a little less focused than usual? Yeah, but he still maintained his strong sense of atmosphere. This movie's poor reception isn't at all his fault. This is just one of those cases where poor performances beat out solid direction in the end.
December 10, 2014
"And sometimes you do Reindeer Games." Affleck may be the bomb in Phantoms, but he totally bombs in Reindeer Games. With a solid cast that includes Ben Affleck, Gary Sinise, Charlize Theron, and Danny Trejo, one would think that this film couldn't go wrong; but somehow they found a way. The script is replete with problems, giving the actors nothing to work with. However, if you can get past the script issues and the weak acting, there's a fairly interesting heist story with some good twists and surprises. While Reindeer Games is complete garbage, it's also entertaining on a number of levels.
November 12, 2014