Rented Lips Reviews

• Jun 14, 2018

Rented Lips is a movie about a filmmaker who gets the opportunity to direct his dream project (a documentary about Native Americans farming corn) on the condition that he will simultaneously work on an adult film that lost its director. Most of what happens in this movie doesn’t make much sense, if for no other reason than the studio who hired him would never agree to the changes he makes. The films he works on are clearly garbage, and yet people act as though they are brilliant. It’s kind of hard to watch Rented Lips because of the poorly-constructed story. At least if we saw the movies he is making as good quality productions it would justify the nonsense that goes into making them. However, Rented Lips is saved from total disaster by an amazing cast. Martin Mull, Jennifer Tilly, and Robert Downey Jr. are all humorous people and they somehow manage to make some of the jokes work. But the real comedic presence that makes the whole movie almost worth watching is Kenneth Mars. He plays a Reverend who is opposed to the movies, and every time he’s on the screen I want to chuckle. He’s so ridiculous in the portrayal of this character, but that works for this ludicrous plot. As one additional side note, in case you didn’t guess it already, yes the Native American movie is horribly racist and insensitive. Still, there’s the semblance of a decent idea at the core of Rented Lips and I didn’t totally hate watching it. It did steal a number of plot points from much better movies, and the original ideas were so insane they didn’t work for me. I think Martin Mull might have come in with a good idea when he wrote the script, but Robert Downey Sr. is the wrong guy to make it into a good movie. Ranking on my Flickchart Loses to The Phantom of the Opera Loses to Sweet Smell of Success Wins against The Angry Birds Movie Wins against Trolls Loses to Babel Wins against Battle of the Sexes Loses to Eyes Wide Shut Loses to Circle Loses to Do the Right Thing Wins against Cuban Fury Rented Lips ranked 1249 out of 1575

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 06, 2010

Silly and low budget, but it's a fun story, and it's got some good jokes, and the actors are good. I enjoyed it.