Repeaters Reviews

• Nov 08, 2020

Teen angst, dark version of groundhog day where instead of getting better every repeate they get more brazen and sadistic.

• Sep 21, 2020

A darker, grittier 'Groundhog Day'. Whereas Ground Day kind of toyed with the Live Die Repeat thing in a thoughtful and fun way, this is just dark and hopeless. You are stuck in a loop with your friend, who turns out to be a psychopath, and someone has to die each day? Interestingly, you could probably draw parallels to stories of the gods - Thor and Loki, Set and Osiris, etc locked in these eternal struggles.. although the movie doesn't do this. There are some glimmers that the writers had thought through some of these issues, but the concepts are certainly not on display here. The moody 20 something drug addict angsty stuff takes precedence.

• Sep 13, 2020

Good watch at best, probably won't watch again, but can recommend for time-shift loop fans ("Groundhog's Day"). I was all excited to stumble into another tim-shift loop movie, with Amanda Palmer no less. She's wildly underrated as an actress, mostly to having (probably) the worst role written on "Silicon Valley". This movie is basically "Groundhog's Day" for drug addicts. While the protagonist in the other movie was an egotistical jerk, he wasn't an evil person, but this movie decides to "Chronicle" with it and go with a "might makes right attitude" with one of the characters. The idea of an infinite war is actually pretty boring, and I think getting up everyday to run around shooting and raping people would grow old pretty fast. Usually the "high" of doing things like that is that you're taking agency to overcome rules and you're "special" because you're getting away with something other people won't. Usually there is also only one protagonist experiencing the loop because it gets funny when multiple people are looping ("Paradise Falls" actually does a good version of it.), and this movie doesn't make it fun. In fact, what could have been a fun, hilarious, and impressive movie actually really takes a hit for wanting to be dark and dirty when it really didn't need to be. Normally something like that adds substance and power to the movie, but I felt like it was just taxing to deal with. It didn't play into the plot heavily enough that it would have been a different movie without it, and it cheaply uses rape as a throwaway to example the character's removal from civil behavior. Those points aside, I really think this is a good movie, and I'm just more upset that it isn't a great movie.

• May 12, 2020

Needs more Amanda Crew

Needs more Amanda Crew

• Jul 03, 2016

Three twenty-something addicts fight to retain their sanity while locked in a rehabilitation center where the same day plays out time and again in this mind-bending thriller.

• Aug 23, 2015

Repeaters is an okay movie, it just goes on a little too long and doesn't offer any great twist at the end....

• Apr 03, 2015

Worth a watch when there's nothing decent. Lacks in a lot of places but I still found it enjoyable.

• Feb 11, 2015

Excessive at times, and definitely Groundhog Day's violent distant relative, but the film builds great tension towards the end while leaving us with an ambiguous finish.

• Jun 10, 2014

No great movie...but a good one...wondering a bit why the critics killed it when they let undisputable crappy ones pass

• Feb 03, 2014

Mediocre (but interesting) approach to the time loop concept.

Mediocre (but interesting) approach to the time loop concept.