The Rescuers Down Under - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rescuers Down Under Reviews

January 11, 2017
Our beloved heroes, Bernard and Bianca, take on Australia! It's an adventurous Disney movie that was one of my favorites when I was younger. (First viewing - Childhood)
January 3, 2017
Considering it's a sequel, it could have been a lot worse. "The Rescuers Down Under" is of a direct-to-video quality despite its rich animation and sense of adventure.
½ December 26, 2016
With an exciting, action-packed story, breathtaking animation, and an entire cast of likable and memorable characters, this kickass sequel is a massive improvement over its dull predecessor in every way imaginable. Disney's most underrated film.
November 12, 2016
Over a decade later from the first film The Rescuers, Disney presents its first animated sequel, The Rescuers Down Under. Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor reprise their roles as Bernard and Bianca. This time around they are headed down to the outback to rescue a boy named Cody. Cody is an ambitious animal lover that has rescued a rare golden eagle. A poacher McLeach (Geoge C. Scott) has captured Cody and he will not free him until Cody tells him the eagle's whereabouts.

Bianca and Bernard are tasked with finding him in the great outback. They enlist with Wilbur (John Candy), Orville's brother to help get them there. They also befriend a fellow mouse who is familiar with the territory in Krebbs (Douglas Seale). He helps them wrangle up snakes, and other wildlife to increase their time to finding the boy. As a team, they must brave the outback and take on the clever poacher and his wily salamander pet Joana. Their time is running out as Mcleach soon tricks Cody into leading him to the eagle's nest.

Rescuers Down Under is not a bad sequel. The film has a better sense of comedic balance than the first film. John Candy was an excellent voice as the bird Wilbur, who filled in because the voice of first bird Orville (Jim Jordan) had passed away. The film does have some pacing problems and scenes that do not really need to be in the film. The prison sequence where the annoying Lizard and various animals try and escape goes on far too long. The sequence of Wilbur being treated for his back, seems a bit forced, and minimally drives the story. McLeach was an excellent villain and really steals the picture. His dark manner, design and characteristics inspire many future Disney villains. While the first movie was 100% hand drawn, this movie was the first 100% digitally animated film. Although I prefer the colors and visuals of the original film, the sequel is well made and has its own character to it. The film did not do particularly well and instead this led Disney to deter making sequels for theatrical releases rather than deter them from making sequels all together. Rescuers Down Under is a solid follow-up and helped set the seeds in for some of the best animated films to come.

-11.12.2016
September 28, 2016
Man, talk about an underrated Disney film. I saw this film for the first time several years ago, and years later said to myself, "you know, I gotta see that movie again. I don't remember much". So I found it at my local thrift store and you know what? This film is pretty solid. Just to clarify, as much as I love Disney, The Rescuers is one of the Disney films I find mediocre. It just didn't leave much of an impact on me like other Disney films. So to learn years back that there was a sequel to it was weird. But I watched it at a friend's house and I enjoyed it much more than the original. One of the redeeming qualities of this movie is the animation. It's breathtaking. Of course you'd expect it from Disney, but think of how many action-adventure films the studio has. Not many, and to see some faster paced scenes was very cool. The characters are also pretty likeable. Cody is the bravest kid ever. It has some good comedy, action, and the villain is great. The story itself is nothing really groundbreaking, but it's a bit better than the original's narrative. More people definitely need to see this movie. The one problem with the movie is the fact that the other captured animals aren't rescued. It felt wrong to me. Bottom line, The Rescuers Down Under may not have made as big an impact as other Disney films, but it's a fun, exiting, and visually dazzling adventure.
August 15, 2016
Better than the original! There is so much going on in The Rescuers Down Under that it felt like an adventure.
August 12, 2016
This was actually Disney's first sequel out of the 29 movies they'd made up until this point, and it certainly feels like one. A pretty enjoyable movie for the most part, with marvelous animation that spans the outback of Australia with picturesque views, and an arrangement of new, exotic animals that add to the wonder of the setting. The problem is that it all feels a little too familiar, reusing a lot of the formula that made the first movie so good, except with less of the laughs, and not as much fun. This one didn't too well at the box-office which isn't hard believe since it had to follow the success of The Little Mermaid, but it's still has a lot to offer in terms of visual splendor and heart.
½ August 5, 2016
There is no doubt that this is a better film than it's predecessor great though it was and it isn't just the animation. The characters are all much more defined particularly Bernard who sometimes felt like bland comic relief in the usual disney style previously, and the thrills seem much more defined with a far better musical score than before. By making the possibly accidental decision to leave out dancing sex symbols with tails disney embraced something that felt far more tealistic even though it does have talking kangaroos and somehow that raises the stakes much higher. Out of all the underated films in the disney pantheon, this film might pip them all to the post. Speaking of which...
July 11, 2016
This is what the first one should be, it's like they took the plot of the first one to make it incredible
July 6, 2016
An incredibly underrated Disney film. While the story is not all that unique, it's a really fun movie with great animation, visuals, and actors do a really good job. I highly recommend watching this film. It's an incredible adventure from one of the best animation studios.
½ July 5, 2016
I would dare to say it's worth it just for the visuals, but the story and enjoyable characters do work, even better than it's predecessor, making it one of Disney's most underrated little flicks.
½ July 1, 2016
The Rescuers Down Under is one of my favourite Disney movies ever, and maybe the best Disney sequel ever. It is fun, heartfell and visually amazing. The main villain is scary, the story is thrilling, and the characters are great.
½ June 1, 2016
Harmless, but also lacklustre
½ May 19, 2016
The Rescuers Down Under is definitely too problematic in its structure as it is overstuffed with characters and sometimes not as well connected in its subplots plus it isn't the most memorable Disney film, but it surely is an underappreciated, solid animated sequel that benefits from some pretty strong and at times quite inspired animation, some majestic sequences, just awesome score, likable characters and such a fun, adventurous tone to it.
May 11, 2016
This Rescuers sequel manages to be better than the original by improving the animation and giving great visuals, and great emotional moments
½ April 2, 2016
It is enough to have perverted cartoon!!,as if pedophilia is the same invincible!!
½ March 31, 2016
Good but not as much as The Rescuers which remains the best adventures of Bernard and Bianca!
March 28, 2016
Adorable. This charming story of mice trying to save a kidnapped little boy is full of good humor, cute characters, and a great cast of Australian animals. My main gripe is that there are too few Australian accents in it. Great for kids, good but not great for adults.
February 19, 2016
holds up real well fun and heart warming
½ January 27, 2016
There are few Disney animated movies that present as many innovative firsts as "Rescuers Down Under." To name the most obvious:
First Disney animated sequel.
First animated film to utilized digital ink-and-paint (making this, technically, the first computer animated movie, pre-dating "Toy Story" by five years. The colors in this film are gorgeous.)
First Disney animated film to utilize CAPS (Computer Animated Production System.) Most importantly: first animated film that moved and behaved like a modern adventure movie with sustained action sequences not unlike the best of Stephen Spielberg's "Indiana Jones" series.
The film holds onto audiences and never lets go from the break-neck speed of the opening credits, directly leading into the extended flying sequences of Cody and the giant eagle Marahootay. Never before has an animated film allowed viewers to soar over valleys, plummet down cliffs and buildings, and THROUGH environments with such clarity and ease. All animated features following "Rescuers Down Under," from "Aladdin," "Lion King," "Incredibles" to, well, everything released today, owe their allegiance to this film.
On a story level, the movie works, even though it's visual effects outweigh the risks taken within the story department. Perhaps the biggest complaint I had, (and still have,) with "Rescuers Down Under" is that the central characters Bernard and Bianca are over-shadowed by every newcomer including (but not invited to) George C. Scott's McLeach, Jake the fearless kangaroo rat, and the hilarious, (and slightly annoying,) chatter-box albatross Wilbur voiced by John Candy. There are surprisingly few scenes in this film that show Bernard and Bianca interacting and discussing the meat of the story with each other; the breakneck speed of this film leaves little room for small-talk conversations, and I long for scenes like the original 1977 Rescuers where the two mice plan whether or not to take a shortcut through the zoo. In that regard, I felt just as annoyed as Bernard each and every time he got interrupted in his bid to ask Miss Bianca for her hand in marriage. I also found the third act a bit rushed, especially considering the fact that Cody hardly got a chance to even say hello to Bernard and Bianca before his rescue.
Yet this movie still works. On so many levels, it is up there with Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and 101 Dalmatians as far as technical achievements. While it is not praised as much today as it was in the early 90's, it still delivers a great deal of "wow" in the visual department. The older generation will appreciate the fact that Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor reprised their roles as the two title characters. And this film is a ton of wholesome laughs.