Rhubarb Reviews

• Aug 19, 2019

One of the best baseball movies ever. Academy Award Winner for Best Actor Ray Milland makes good work of what is there. Rhubarb the cat inherits the Brooklyn Loons. Hijinks ensue. Relax and enjoy a bit of nonsense.

• Dec 03, 2018

rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb!!

rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb!!

• Jun 08, 2017

Rhubarb is a disappointing film. It is about rich, eccentric T.J. Banner who adopts a feral cat who becomes an affectionate pet. Ray Milland and Jan Sterling give terrible performances. The screenplay is badly written. Arthur Lubin did a horrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.

• Jun 26, 2015

I am a fan of cats and they are under-represented in animal cinema, so I thought I'd check this out. It was very mildly amusing and the cat didn't do a lot apart from run around a bit an miaow a lot. Disappointing.

• Apr 20, 2015

Predictable antics ensue when an eccentric millionaire dies and leaves his baseball team to his cat. Ray Milland was good as always, but if you want to see him in a comedic role a better choice would be "It Happens Every Spring", another comedic baseball film. The supporting cast was uniformly good, especially Gene Lockhart, Jan Sterling and William Frawley. Paul Douglas makes a cameo as a man in the park. Look for Leonard Nimoy in an early non-speaking role as one of the ballplayers.

• May 02, 2010

Would you believe that the movie about a cat who inherits millions of dollars and a baseball team suffers from having too much plot? Early on the film does well to stick to one of the lesser-used rules of comedy - feral cats are always funny - but by the time the pseudo-gangsters show up it's just one reel too many.

• Sep 05, 2008

RHUBARB: THE MILLIONARE CAT. This predictable but amusing Paramount comedy from the 50's was recently rescued from obscurity through DVD. I'd never heard of it, but I allowed myself a blind buy for the mere sake of seeing Ray Milland in a silly comedic role. If you're a cat person, add an additional star to my rating, for this is possibly the ultimate movie for cat lovers (I'm a dog man, myself). I've never before seen a film where *so much* hinged upon a titular cat. If you like the idea of cats being good luck charms, it will warm your fuzzy little heart to witness a struggling baseball team become undefeated winners if all the team players stroke the cat... It didn't warm my heart. I'm a dog person, and this film clearly has a prejudice against dogs. Nonetheless, it's an amusing little flick.